Science Forums

Teacher in Texas Suspended for being an Atheist

InfiniteNow

I thought about adding this to the "Is Religion Harmful to Society" thread, but that one has far too many disparate discussions taking place at once, so felt this warranted a new seed for discussion.

DemocracyForAmerica.com » Blog » Texas Teacher suspended for being "Liberal" and an "atheist"

Then on January 7th, a student in my classroom in second period left my class, went to the Principal's office, and told him that there was an inappropriate discussion in my classroom. I was informed by the principal, Richard Turner, that I needed to talk to her mother because she was very upset. Her mother came to class on January 7th, came to the school January 7th, very upset. She made some threats to me in the hallway. And then on January 8th, Mr. Turner informed me that I needed to call the parent, Mrs. Lowe. On January 9th, I had Vicki Smith, the school secretary, call "REDACTED" on my behalf to arrange a conference at 10:35 Monday, January 12th. Monday the 12th, I met with REDACTED and School Principal Richard Turner in his office. REDACTED was very angry. She accused me of being an atheist, saying I was too liberal, and that I allowed the students to talk about inappropriate things in the classroom. I told her that occasionally students would get on topics and say things, but I was unable to censor them before they were able to say them. She said that I called her daughter a name and I denied the accusation. But then she said that I didn't believe in god and shouldn't be teaching. She also said that she had spoken to 3 other board members who agreed with her that I shouldn't be teaching because I was too liberal and I was an atheist.

On January 15th, there was a board meeting. Nothing was on the agenda concerning me. During the open forum, several audience members spoke to their concerns that I was an atheist and I was too liberal. On January 16th, I was called to Mr. Richard Turner's office (my principal), and he informed me that I had been put on administrative leave with pay. The reasons, as stated to me by Mr. Turner at the time, were that I was accused of being an atheist and teaching atheism in the classroom, and I was too liberal. On January 23rd, Mr. Turner and members of the board met behind closed doors concerning my suspension and allegations that were directed at me. On January 24th, I received a certified letter from Mr. Turner that stated that the causes for my suspension apparently had been changed to inappropriate contact with students and comments.

As PZ noted, it sure is a good thing they didn't think he was a witch, or he'd have been strung up and hung. :sherlock:

What do YOU think? Is this sort of thing okay, or another black mark on what religion is doing to us as a people? Was the teacher wrong to host an open dialog with his students? Is it wrong to place the blame of this situation on religion as a whole? Discuss. :turtle:

This is what is wrong with the world. Even in 2009 we have not achived MLK jr.'s dream of everyone living in harmoney. I would prefer a teacher to be an atheist rather than a christian. (no offense)

She also said that she had spoken to 3 other board members who agreed with her that I shouldn't be teaching because I was too liberal and I was an atheist.

Life must be so easy, when you don't have to think.

Some students started a petition to get their teacher back, but their efforts were stopped by the principle

Ard, the senior class president, said that two students started a petition to get Mullins back, but were told by the school principal to stop. Turner said he had not heard of any students starting a petition.

hmmn interesting meeting place

January 23--A closed-door meeting was held between [Principal] and members of the school board. It is not clear from Mr. Mullens' account if the meeting included all seven members of the board, or a sub-set. It is also not clear where the meeting was held. It is possible that it was held at the Brookeland Missionary Baptist Church

the actual topic

The conflict appears to stem from a Jan. 7 incident in one of his classes. According to Mullens, a student left his class-room upset about a conversation that had taken place.

He said that a pregnant student had gotten into a discussion with her former boyfriend about "whether he believed in love or not."

Another student, who was not involved in the conversation, got up and left the class, saying she was uncomfortable with the conversation.

Atheism is not the only thing these parents are against

"Mostly people were upset because he supported Barack Obama, whereas a lot of people in Brookeland were against (Obama)," said Ard, 18.

to read the full article and some of the students who respected and admired Mr Mullins comments see link

I Speak of Dreams: Brookeland School District, Texas: Teacher accused of atheism is suspended, resigns

and interesting to note

In fact the administration of Brookeland High School made attempts to urge students to sign a list of alleged chargers against Mr. Mullins of which over 100 students out of 103 refused to sign.The students attempted to present to the Board of education a petition in support of Mr. Mullins and refuting any charges of inappropriate language made against him. The Principal of Brookeland High School, not only refused to take this petition to the board but forbade the students from such actions. Mr. Mullins is being railroaded by a School board of which all of those who support his removal are members of the same church. A church who's pastor has openly called for there to be only Christian teachers in the Brookeland school district

Confessions of a West Tennessee Liberal...: I really really need your help

Atheism is not the only thing these parents are against

"Mostly people were upset because he supported Barack Obama, whereas a lot of people in Brookeland were against (Obama)," said Ard, 18.

so thats where the people who supported bush live. Now to get my hands on a few ballistic missiles......

It bothers me that there is this much rasicism, bigotry, and intolerance in America. I wish there was some way to stop it.

I must say that I find this difficult to get past, as much as I've seen Christians do some pretty shitty things to people they didn't like this pretty much takes the cake, especially in recent years. I honestly thought this type of BS had died out decades ago even in tiny backward communities of inbred m%#&$@&%$#ers

Was it a private Christian School or a public school?

Don't you Yanks start the school day by saluting the flag and babbling on about freedoms etc?

If this happened in a public school in Australia lawyers would be falling over themselves to get his case and sue the school, principal, Ed. Dept., Government etc. an absolute gold mine of discrimination and we don't even have a Bill of Rights!

Don't you Yanks start the school day by saluting the flag and babbling on about freedoms etc?

I believe you are referring to the Pledge of Allegiance.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all

Having read John Stuart's excellent treatise on liberty, I refrained from reciting the pledge while in high school. Why should anyone subscribe to indoctrination if they have the option not to?

:)

What always bothered me about the pledge was the under God part, once I found it had been added during the McCarthy era it kinda went sour for me. Now days people take the Pledge as an affirmation of God instead of the pledge to our country it was originally intended to be. I love my country, I am smart enough to know it isn't perfect but I have no problem pledging my allegiance to the USA but why does God have to enter into it?