Science Forums

HydroFarmer Here!

HydroFarmer

• 2 years later...

i was wondering if you could farm lobster, if you did, what kind of plants would it efficiently feed

Do a google search for lobster aquaculture, there are a few attempts to farm lobster in a similar way to salt water fish.

The primary issue with matching lobster aquaculture to hydroponic plant production would be the fact that lobster live in cold seawater. The extremely high sodium content of the effluent would prohibit any normal hydroponic operation, even if you managed a way to deal with the different temperature needs. I suppose you could rig up some type of kelp farm around the lobster grow out seacages to process the waste and provide an economically useful byproduct. Perhaps terrestrial plants that grow in brackish marshes could be used in an aquaponic system using salt water, but I haven't ever seen such an operation.

yea, i was thinking something like cranberries, but they grow in freshwater, and the temperature is not super difficult to get over, y9ou have to have a conversion chamber where bacterial release the nitrates from the ammonia

easy to heat up water transfer lines, even solar heating this way would work, cooling the water would be more of an energy draw in the long run