Science Forums

Dvd authoring app for linux

nemo

I'm building a linux machine (FC3) for someone who is going to want to make movies on it. My only experience with DVD is as a bigger, better CDRW. I burn distro iso's on a regular basis and data archiving is easy, but I've never had the need / want to make video DVDs. The app needs to have an intuitive GUI, but one simple enough that making a movie does not entail an internship at Pixar. Any suggestions? :eek:

I hope you are not planning to run KDE, aah whats the use...

I have problems with Fedora Core and many other distros of Linux, i think they are too Microsofty, dont get me wrong, they are still Linux and sometimes can even be made somewhat decent if you spend time configuring it, and for some people they are just what they need, but if it was for me, and there was no Gentoo or Slackware, I will go with a Debian-based distro, not vanilla debian, debian-based distro :eek:. Also have problems with KDE as it is so unbeleivably bloated and space-consuming, but i can also see why people who dont know any better or have been recently introduced to linux, or just dont want to leave the "something like a confort-zone" of a GUI use it, i guess as long as you turn off those sound effects.

I'm building a linux machine (FC3) for someone ...

I tend to favor CLI for a number of things, but this machine isn't for me.

[tangent]

As far as my desktop is concerned, I am a heretic to the bone - I use KDE (I like the virtual desktop implementation better than Gnome) but I do all my coding with the Gnome / GTK2 API (at least until I have time to play with Mono). As much as I hate the evil empire, I generally go with the best tool for what I need - which occasionally even includes an MS product. I spoke at length with a guy in Radio Shack ( :eek: - I know, right up there with those idiots from Best Buy :) , but I needed a USB cable and they're right down the road) about Linux today. He was all about becoming a command-line commando, not because that was the best thing for his particular task, but because he thought it would be cool :) . When I code, I generally tend to put a GUI on most apps, not because i would feel lost without the safety net of a good double-click, but because my programs tend to be more than one-offs and I don't want to remember 25 command-line options :P when I could write commonly used settings to a preferences file and parse it upon startup. That way, all the settings I would have had to think about are clearly represented with whatever widget I feel like using - generally making the process as a whole much faster :) .

[/tangent]

There are a few programs that I would be lost if I tried to use a GUI for - nmap, hping2, netcat; but overall, I'm just looking to get the job done in the most efficient manner (for me - my processor can / should pull it's own load, that's why I paid the price I did for it).

And now I don't have to use another emoticon for a month.

As far as my desktop is concerned, I am a heretic to the bone - I use KDE (I like the virtual desktop implementation better than Gnome) but I do all my coding with the Gnome / GTK2 API (at least until I have time to play with Mono).

vim or emacs work very well, well emacs needs a little lisp script to outline...

As much as I hate the evil empire, I generally go with the best tool for what I need - which occasionally even includes an MS product.

You never really NEED MS products to do the anything, there are equal or better open-source solution out there for that, its the matter of finding it and putting up with no gui, or for people like me, sometimes putting up with the lack of documentation, and for that there is always google :eek:

I spoke at length with a guy in Radio Shack ( - I know, right up there with those idiots from Best Buy , but I needed a USB cable and they're right down the road) about Linux today. He was all about becoming a command-line commando, not because that was the best thing for his particular task, but because he thought it would be cool .

Command line is still a better and many times a faster and more efficient way to do things, you dont apprecialte linux to its full extent untill you go command line...

When I code, I generally tend to put a GUI on most apps, not because i would feel lost without the safety net of a good double-click, but because my programs tend to be more than one-offs and I don't want to remember 25 command-line options when I could write commonly used settings to a preferences file and parse it upon startup.

So i dont see a reason why you cant have preferences file and load it without a gui. Also, why dont you go the traditional way and within command line options put a -h for help. Plus getopt makes it so nice and easy to deal with command line arguments...

That way, all the settings I would have had to think about are clearly represented with whatever widget I feel like using - generally making the process as a whole much faster

lol... not saying you are wrong, just saying that me and you have different perspectives...