Science Forums

Over Balanced Wheel - Perpetual Motion

HI

I was hoping somebody could explain why the overbalanced wheel does not work. Would there not be a larger moment on one side of the wheel due to the extra radius of gyration? Would this not make the sum of the moments positive in one direction?

I think you will find in all cases of perpetual motion that friction is the main player in why they do not work.

• 3 months later...

The quick answer would be: count the number of weights on either side of the axis.

The longer answer is: you need torque to make the wheel turn an torque is the product of force and distance from the axis. When people look at overbalanced wheels they usually only look at the distance from the axis but never pay attention what the total force (mass) on either side is.

• 5 months later...

This post and replies to it have been moved to 21092, because the strange claim they discuss isn’t up to the standard of an engineering forum thread. After it improved, with the addition of actual sketches of the described machine, new posts were moved to 21152

I agree with TEguy,

I myself, have designed an overbalancing wheel that has LESS weights

on the 'turning' side than on the 'opposing' side. The difference here being, the TOTAL

distance of all weights (added up), is less on the 'opposing' side, than on the turning

side ----- this is what causes the imbalance ----- NOT the number of weights!

For example; if the total distance, on one side of the hub, equals 50cms for 5 weights,

and each weight equals 10kgs, it is the same as placing one (1) weight (at 10kgs), at

the 'total distance' of ALL the weights ----- 50cms!

If, on the 'turning' side, the total distance is 100cms (even though there may well be less

weights), the wheel WILL overbalance.

Sir Isaac Einstein.