Science Forums

Is homosexuality unnatural?

Moontanman

Homosexuality is not conducive to procreation, but that does not make it unnatural. Showing love and affection to either sex or same sex, should not fall under judgement. In biblical terminolgy, this equates to sin and punishment, and in countries that subscribe to this ideology, then punishment and even death can occurr. If we are to judge sex then should we judge love as well?

Is it wrong to love your best buddy, even though you don't sleep with them? No one has the right to condemn, judge, punish anyone for expressing love.

In pedophilia, or rape, there should be consequences. This is obviously not a loving action and is self serving, demeaning, and can emotionally destroy the victims.

In humans love and affection can or cannot be a part of a sexual relationship. If humans were the only animal on this planet to show actual sexual attraction for the same sex then the argument of being unnatural could probably be made but this is not the case.

1,500 animal species practice homosexuality

I recently had an operation on my rear end and found it the most uncomfortable and painful experience.The intense irritation and long lasting pain only relieved by opiates.

So you have to wonder why are there all those nerve sensors in that spot?

The evolutionary reason for this is?

If sex was only for reproduction we would only indulge in it 10-50 times. Just enough to re-produce the species.

It seems to me that one of sex's major uses is bonding pairs together ( and in many primates- groups as well).

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a warning about Homosexuality

Never Ask a Gay Man for Directions: Scientific American

I live in the S. Hemisphere. I have an excellent sense of direction ( a little less as I get older). My wife has a lousy sense of direction. So much so that it is a family joke "If Mum says turn right - we turn left"

I take my sense of direction for granted and know it is unconsciouly always there. But I found that when I visited the N hemisphere my sense of direction did not work at all. I found it terrifying and disturbing, getting badly lost in hire cars. It was like I had lost a part of my brain that I automatically depended on. However my wife's sense of direction was terrific. . The reverse of her experience at home.

Go figure!!

according to evolution, no

Actually not true goku, sexual behavior in higher animals is not confined to procreation, It is often used as a way to bond members of group together. most sex in humans has nothing to do with procreation and everything to do with holding individuals and groups together. In animals sex is used to bond males to other males and females to other females. this behavior is good for the group and for the species as whole.

Actually not true goku, sexual behavior in higher animals is not confined to procreation, It is often used as a way to bond members of group together. most sex in humans has nothing to do with procreation and everything to do with holding individuals and groups together. In animals sex is used to bond males to other males and females to other females. this behavior is good for the group and for the species as whole.

if i didn't know better i'd say that we are bonded, if i'd a said yes you would've said no ;)

if you really want to get down to the nitty gritty, the penius is naturally made for the vagina

Ah! Yet more evidence supporting Evolution! :phones:

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science, :rolleyes:

Buffy

if you really want to get down to the nitty gritty, the penius is naturally made for the vagina

So I shouldn't tell you about my Boy Scout experiences/experiments?

It still does not answer my previous question on why the anus is so supplied with many nerve sensors.

Far more than is necessary for excretion.

How come an anal climax/orgasm is possible?:rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
It think it is, yes, unnatural.

Perhaps you are unaware, then, of the fact that over 1,500 animal species have been observed engaging in homosexual behavior, and that out of every single animal which has ever been observed, not one has failed to have homosexual behaviors demonstrated.

1,500 animal species practice homosexuality

"One fundamental premise in social debates has been that homosexuality is unnatural. This premise is wrong. Homosexuality is both common and highly essential in the lives of a number of species," explains Petter Boeckman, who is the academic advisor for the "Against Nature's Order?" exhibition.

<...>

Lions are also homosexual. Male lions often band together with their brothers to lead the pride. To ensure loyalty, they strengthen the bonds by often having sex with each other.

Homosexuality is also quite common among dolphins and killer whales. The pairing of males and females is fleeting, while between males, a pair can stay together for years. Homosexual sex between different species is not unusual either. Meetings between different dolphin species can be quite violent, but the tension is often broken by a "sex orgy".

Homosexuality is a social phenomenon and is most widespread among animals with a complex herd life.

Among the apes it is the females that create the continuity within the group. The social network is maintained not only by sharing food and the child rearing, but also by having sex. Among many of the female apes the sex organs swell up. So they rub their abdomens against each other," explains Petter Bockman and points out that animals have sex because they have the desire to, just like we humans.

Homosexual behaviour has been observed in 1,500 animal species.

"We're talking about everything from mammals to crabs and worms. The actual number is of course much higher. Among some animals homosexual behaviour is rare, some having sex with the same gender only a part of their life, while other animals, such as the dwarf chimpanzee, homosexuality is practiced throughout their lives."

Animals that live a completely homosexual life can also be found. This occurs especially among birds that will pair with one partner for life, which is the case with geese and ducks. Four to five percent of the couples are homosexual. Single females will lay eggs in a homosexual pair's nest. It has been observced that the homosexual couple are often better at raising the young than heterosexual couples.

Wiki has an entry, also:

Animal sexual behaviour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Homosexual behaviour has been observed among 1,500 species, and in 500 of those it is well documented.

To turn the approach on its head:
No species has been found in which homosexual behaviour has not been shown to exist
, with the exception of species that never have sex at all, such as sea urchins and aphis.

Here is a list of animals for which there is documented evidence of homosexual behavior (such as sex, courtship, affection, pair bonding, or parenting):

List of animals displaying homosexual behavior - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It leaves me pondering the question... What is more wrong... Homosexuality in humans, or humans who refuse to accept it as natural?

The Natural "Crime Against Nature": Homosexual Behaviors In Animals

Same-Sex Pair Bonding in Animals

Just as in humans, animals often form long-term same-sex relationships. In species in which this normally occurs in heterosexual couples, that shouldn't come as a great surprise, but it does come as a surprise in species where heterosexual pair-bonds don't normally form for long if at all. This is true of bottlenose dolphins, which are not known to form heterosexual pair bonds, but which do in fact form homosexual pair bonds, including sex, and often lasting for life.

In animals in which "bachelor groups" form, such as bison, gazelles, antelope, sage grouse and Guinean cocks-of-the-rock, it is not uncommon for same sex pair bonds to form and last until one or the other member of the pair departs the relationship and breeds. It is also not uncommon for homosexual preference to form among members of such bachelor groups; when offered the opportunity to breed unencumbered with members of the opposite sex or the same sex, they choose the same sex.

The human pattern of bisexuality also appears in animals. In some cases, animals prefer same sex at one point in their lives, and change preference later. They may even change back and forth. In some cases, animals may seek sex with partners of either sex at random.

In animals with a seasonal breeding pattern, homosexuality can even be seasonal. Male walruses, for example, often form homosexual pair bonds and have sex with each other outside of the breeding season, but will revert to a heterosexual pattern during the normal breeding season.

Not At All Unusual

Lest you are tempted to believe that all of this is highly unusual and well out of the ordinary, you're in for quite a surprise. Homosexual behavior is not only common, but even more common in other species than in humans.

<...>

There's clearly a wide range of homosexual behaviors in the animal kingdom. It's widespread, common and impossible to deny or explain away any longer. Homosexuality is natural as green grass in summer, and it's high time we accepted that fact.

Further, if it were not natural, surely it would have been selected against long ago.

My hope is that this post has been useful, and at least shown the silliness of the "it's unnatural" approach to this issue. :computerkick: