Science Forums

Gold

TIC

I've thought this one through a few times, for gold... diamonds etc...

Firstly... I'm a sailor, as such my boat has a 3.5 ton lead keel. The easy thing to do is to cast a small "cache" (well defined hole) into the top of the keel. Then cast a small lead cover that will "flush fit" with the cache spot. Fill the "cache" with your "Precious" then place the lead cover over the treasure, now simply use a plumbers propane torch to solder in the cover.... take care to hide your seem!

Lead is impervious to X-ray, dogs can't smell gold or diamonds... sailboat owners are nice folks... they would never be expected of such deviousness :)

lps

Actually fishing weights was what I had in mind. when you troll in the ocean they use weights of around a kilo. It shouldn't be too difficult to beat relatively pure gold into almost any shape. Various shapes of weights, most are spheres, or bowls, plates or cups should be easy too. paint them with gray paint or dip them in molten lead should hide their true identity quite easily. Beat them into the shape of several small anvils or axe heads and hammer heads would be good too.

:) What could be simpler. I was going for tricky but not to tricky. T

I've thought this one through a few times, for gold... diamonds etc...

Firstly... I'm a sailor, as such my boat has a 3.5 ton lead keel. The easy thing to do is to cast a small "cache" (well defined hole) into the top of the keel. Then cast a small lead cover that will "flush fit" with the cache spot. Fill the "cache" with your "Precious" then place the lead cover over the treasure, now simply use a plumbers propane torch to solder in the cover.... take care to hide your seem!

Lead is impervious to X-ray, dogs can't smell gold or diamonds... sailboat owners are nice folks... they would never be expected of such deviousness :)

lps

Not a bad idea at first glance. How big is a sail boat that has a 3.5T keel weight?

Big enought to cross the Pacific? Small enough to freight accross the Pacific?

While working in the North Sea, a few of us divers, trying to entertain ourselves, came up with a challange. The challange was to conceal a pound of cocaine. I Won . . a cheap bottle of Jack Daniels. The deal was you had to actually demonstrate it's feasibility. I chose a 6 Volt lantern battery. Carefully took it apart, removed all the metal (zinc/lead) cells but one, dug out the cell's inards and packed them with baking soda and then reassembled the battery so the one good cell worked and would turn on the light. This might work for your cache of diamonds. And your home address is ?:)

you could fume it with gold and give it a redish purple hue

and by ume i mean

grab a small chunk of gold

heat it with a propane/oxygen torch

when it hits things and forms a super thin film it has a pink-redish-purplish hue

or you could use silver and turn it blue or white

I think get what you are saying here. Coat the gold with Au2O3. I would assume each piece would have to be suspended in some manner to cover all sides.

And now they'd have to explain the "pink-redish-purplish" things to customs agents.

I was hoping to find some one who could tell if the same idea can be easilt done with lead or zinc.

Thanks for your idea:)

I think get what you are saying here. Coat the gold with Au2O3. I would assume each piece would have to be suspended in some manner to cover all sides.

And now they'd have to explain the "pink-redish-purplish" things to customs agents.

I was hoping to find some one who could tell if the same idea can be easilt done with lead or zinc.

Thanks for your idea:)

Besides disguising the color or shape, there is the matter of weight, and since no common material is as dense as gold, there may be some 'splainin to do. :) At least with the fishing weights, the high density is expected. I think 2000 extra pounds of anything is going to draw attention no matter how it is concealed. :)

Not a bad idea at first glance. How big is a sail boat that has a 3.5T keel weight?

Big enought to cross the Pacific? Small enough to freight accross the Pacific?

While working in the North Sea, a few of us divers, trying to entertain ourselves, came up with a challange. The challange was to conceal a pound of cocaine. I Won . . a cheap bottle of Jack Daniels. The deal was you had to actually demonstrate it's feasibility. I chose a 6 Volt lantern battery. Carefully took it apart, removed all the metal (zinc/lead) cells but one, dug out the cell's inards and packed them with baking soda and then reassembled the battery so the one good cell worked and would turn on the light. This might work for your cache of diamonds. And your home address is ?:)

The boat in question is a 36 ft Bayfield very capable of just about any crossing. Considering the fact that gold and lead are VERY similar in density and lead is expected to be found as ballast... if you have a ton of gold to move... remove your lead keel (die grinders and saws will do this quicker than you might think) or most of it... fill with gold, re-cap with the lead keel top.

I look for stuff folks won't likely want to touch, ever see the bilge on a sailboat after a crossing? LOL

Never mover drugs... the penalties for coming into Canada with un-declared diamonds is they snatch your boat... come in with coke and they snatch most of your life :)

lps

Besides disguising the color or shape, there is the matter of weight, and since no common material is as dense as gold, there may be some 'splainin to do. :eek: At least with the fishing weights, the high density is expected. I think 2000 extra pounds of anything is going to draw attention no matter how it is concealed. :)

Weight would, well will not be the issue. It's the glod color. Humans are like crows and attracted to shiny bits, even if they are just brass. My idea is to make this ton of gold look like some fairly common but uninteresting, legitimate (wink wink), commercial cargo e.g. a ton of fishing weights headed for Seattle WA.

The boat in question is a 36 ft Bayfield very capable of just about any crossing.

Now that's interesting. I didn't expect that much keel weight on a 36' sailer. And yes I hear you on the bilge.

My very first commercial dive job was"inside" a barge that had a clogged pump in the port bow chain locker and was sinking. Never used that wet suit again and was sure I was going to get some horrible disease . . .it was a true sewer.

A boat keel is a little tricky but food for thought. Thanks, I'll keep that idea in mind.

Never drugs. Real pirates only deal in precious metals, gems and pearls. Arrgh!:)