Science Forums

What futuristic propulsion method produces the most THRUST?

JoeRoccoCassara

Probably the nuclear salt water rocket would produce the most thrust. This type of rocket would be a continuous nuclear fission explosion not a pulse.

Nuclear salt-water rocket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thrust would be generated by nuclear fission reactions from the nuclear salts heating the water and being expelled through a nozzle.

What would happen if the particles of the nuclear salts were negatively charged equally to the positively charged water?

Gardamorg, are you suggesting that matter and water and antimatter uranium be mixed together to make an explosion?

I thought it was only the charge of the particles that mattered in the reaction, not the atomic number.

If a negatively charged particle meets a positively charged particle they annihilate each other into photons or other forms of energy right?

I thought it was only the charge of the particles that mattered in the reaction, not the atomic number.

Well yes, that's why i asked, if you were alluding to matter/antimatter reactions it wouldn't matter what each one was made of they would annihilate each other. since you cannot contain antimatter atoms, only ions, you couldn't have a tank of antimatter salts dissolved in matter water or separate tanks of each since anywhere the tanks touched would annihilate. This would be a very bad thing for your space craft. The idea of a continuous nuclear explosion is not the same thing as a matter/antimatter reaction. The nuclear salt water rocket could conceivably be made with current technology. No one knows how to contain neutral atoms of antimatter in anything like the density of liquid water. Also it's incorrect to say the water would be negatively charged and the uranium salts would be positively charged. Atoms of both matter and antimatter are neutrally charged.

What would happen if the particles of the nuclear salts were negatively charged equally to the positively charged water?

Chemical reactions have nothing to do with nuclear reactions.

Well at the end it all comes to how much energy you want to use and how much mass you want to expel. As most energy sources you can put on a rocket are quite limited, if you want alot of thrust you would expel alot of mass at low velocity. If you want to conserve the mass, then you would throw it out at high velocity.

Those different techs are just for conversing different types and energies to usable propulsion.

Chemical reactions have nothing to do with nuclear reactions.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the post, we aren't talking about chemical reactions.

Well at the end it all comes to how much energy you want to use and how much mass you want to expel. As most energy sources you can put on a rocket are quite limited, if you want alot of thrust you would expel alot of mass at low velocity. If you want to conserve the mass, then you would throw it out at high velocity.

Those different techs are just for conversing different types and energies to usable propulsion.

It is possible to do both, high speed and high mass, using nuclear reactions via a continuous nuclear explosion from mixing uranium salts with water and allowing them to come to a critical mass you could achieve some really fantastic numbers. anti-matter has even more potential but is much harder to use.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the post, we aren't talking about chemical reactions.

It is possible to do both, high speed and high mass, using nuclear reactions via a continuous nuclear explosion from mixing uranium salts with water and allowing them to come to a critical mass you could achieve some really fantastic numbers. anti-matter has even more potential but is much harder to use.

A prime example of such a porpulsion method that employs minute quantities of antimatter would be an Antimatter Catalyzed Micro Fission/Fusion.

• 1 year later...

Probably the nuclear salt water rocket would produce the most thrust. This type of rocket would be a continuous nuclear fission explosion not a pulse.

Nuclear salt-water rocket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...superseeded byASI 242 project as far i know 242 is the atomic number of the artificial isothopic element "Americium 242" easily obtained by breeding Plutonium 239 and Plutonium 240 in a conventional "hartford alike" breeding reactor. It will be ready for a manned mission to Mars within next 10 years in case of a political will... :shrug:

...superseeded byASI 242 project as far i know 242 is the atomic number of the artificial isothopic element "Americium 242" easily obtained by breeding Plutonium 239 and Plutonium 240 in a conventional "hartford alike" breeding reactor. It will be ready for a manned mission to Mars within next 10 years in case of a political will... :shrug:

Your link didn't work erka, can you repost it?

• 2 years later...

anti matter drives have a large amount of thrust but the fualt is how to keep the antimatter itself.so the best be would be fusion.(which a bit of a boost!)

i designed a theorectical space drive enhancer that will result in a good amount of thrust:i`ll give you a overview

get a compound of water

use a high powered laser to separate the hydrogen from the oxygen

and take the hydrogen into a tank of some sort(whatever)keep going through the reaction until you have enough to create a go amount of thrust an insert it into the beam ffrom the nuclear fusion, creating a short `pulse`

sorry about how i wrote the reaction, i do not know how the write the h20 properly on a computer!weel, i am 15. :lol: