Science Forums

Log houses

Log houses are often touted as being greener than stick built houses, some are even offered in cypress that will not rot or be eaten by termites or other insects and so do not need any of the poisons we use to insure stick built houses do not rot or get eaten by termites. Are they more or less environmentally friendly than a stick built house?

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure what you mean by that, as far as my research goes, both log and stick built houses are made from lumber...

The difference between the usual wood material and cypress is that probably the latter is less common. But I wouldn't know because I am not from states and here we don't even have termites.

Or build one from this: Cannabrick construction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am not sure what you mean by that, as far as my research goes, both log and stick built houses are made from lumber...

The difference between the usual wood material and cypress is that probably the latter is less common. But I wouldn't know because I am not from states and here we don't even have termites.

Or build one from this: Cannabrick construction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cannabrick works for me, we have termites here big time, wood rots fast and termites eat it faster. The cypress tress used are dieing back due to salt water intrusion and in some places salt resistant ones are developing in the wild. These trees are very dense and good for building log homes. The trees are harvested from the wild and replaced by new trees. Here is a link

Log homes by B K Cypress Log Homes, Inc. / Custom-built log homes made exclusively from Tidewater Red Cypress

Well it seems you have a readily supply of those trees there in Florida so I think houses are more enviro-friendly.

Strange thing is that although in our country there is alot of woody forests, almost no one builds from that. Its all concrete, bricks and some insulation.

What country are you from? Interesting that lots of concrete and bricks are used. In the US we use bricks and concrete but it's usually not a main part of the building. Even a brick house is made of lumber and then the bricks are stacked outside the walls.

I am from Slovenia, a small country just south of European alps. We do get quite a cold weather and sometimes quite a bit of snow, but to be honest I dont really know why concrete is preferred. It may be just that here is less likely for the house to be blown away, i am not sure about costs either.

How do they do it in the US northwest?

I am from Slovenia, a small country just south of European alps. We do get quite a cold weather and sometimes quite a bit of snow, but to be honest I dont really know why concrete is preferred. It may be just that here is less likely for the house to be blown away, i am not sure about costs either.

How do they do it in the US northwest?

To be honest I have no idea what they do in the US Northwest, I live in the South East a good 2000 miles away from them. Log houses are common in the Appalachian mountains and the north east, some of the mid west has log houses as well but i think the concept originated in northern Europe.