Science Forums

Agricultural recycling

Ganoderma

I use a layer of aged wood chips (about four inches thick) in pathways between vegetable beds to prevent erosion, water evaporation, and for weed control. Some years ago, I seeded the pathways with Stropharia rugosoannulata (also known as garden giant, wine cap stropharia, and many other common names). I also use a six inch layer of straw mulch over the beds themselves, and I do not till. After a year, I found mycelium filaments throughout both the pathways and the beds themselves. I get mushroom caps in shaded areas in the spring and fall, and by winter time, I remove the top layer of wood chips from the pathways and dig out a nice inch layer of decomposed peat-like substrate that I mix with redworm castings to make container soil, if needed. Otherwise, I just place it on top of the beds under a new straw layer. Then I replace the left over wood chips, and add more wood chips to bring it back up to four inches.

I learned about Stropharia rugosoannulata from Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms by Paul Stamets in which he claims this fungus in a wood chip bed is capable of filtering bacteria from manure laden run-off water. I have not tried it on a pile of wood chips removed from the garden, as I have always assumed the runoff and leaching of nutrient rich water from the garden was helping the fungus. It is however, a far more forgiving fungus than most, and it survives both the few cold snaps here in the winter and the unbearable summer heat.

I do not use corn stalks, cobs, tomato vines, and other woody vegetable garden waste in the compost pile, I just feed them to the neighbors cows, and grab a small amount of manure in return. The majority of my compost is made from horse manure that I receive for free (if you don't count labor to remove it from the stalls). This is also the source of my straw, as horses are generally fed a higher quality hay than other animals, and are just as sloppy, so waste hay is common in the stalls. The owner of the stalls used to burn this straw twice a year. The wood chips I get for free from a local landscaping company.

I have not yet tried biochar, and I don't need it in my current gardens, but I am toying with the idea of starting a test plot with biochar soon. Tilling wood chips into native soil usually is not recommended, unless you plan on a higher than normal nitrogen fertilizer regimine.

Awesome stuff Jones! :phones:

Paul Stamet is the man when it comes to mushrooms. It's good to see people using his ideas and products all the way across the country. :)

You may not *need* char in your soil, but I highly recommend it! If you have not already done so, take some time to familiarize yourself with the concept by visiting Hypography's Terra Preta (TP) forum. It's a lot to digest (no pun intended), but it's worth it! :)