Science Forums

Read/Unread Marking

C1ay

I must say that this is the one aspect of the forums here that is a real pain in the butt. As I read messages and return to the main index I see they are still marked as unread. If there are unread messages here when I leave the forums and come back later they are marked as read even though I haven't opened them yet. What is everyone else doing to cope with this?

Nothing. Log off and then log back in if you want it to go away. It is a problem with the forum software, and I suspect it is also related to browser caching. The same applies to *some* private messages, although the only solution there is to actually delete them.

Sigh. That's just it, for some mesages I don't want it to go away, I want them to stay marked as unread until I read them so I'll know which ones I haven't read yet. I've found that I can get the ones I have read to get marked by backing out of the thread/forum one layer at a time through the links at the top of the page, ie Hypography Science Forums > Feedback to Hypography > User feedback > Read/Unread Marking.

Maybe a future enhancement will include marking as part of the data recorded in the database. I've just worked with so many different kinds of forum software that it's hard to get used to not having it when you've experienced it elsewhere.

There are so many good things about vBulletin that we actually have very, very few complaints about it. I just spent a few hours today upgrading to the latest version but it probably did not fix this particular issue. I'll report it to Jelsoft.

Thanks, BTW, boss-man. We all appreciate your very hard work. I know how hard it is to try to please everyone, and I think you are doing a fabulous job.

Keep it up!!

There are so many good things about vBulletin that we actually have very, very few complaints about it. I just spent a few hours today upgrading to the latest version but it probably did not fix this particular issue. I'll report it to Jelsoft.

It is good software compared to many I've worked with. I don't think you have a bug to report though. It appears to me to be by design. It seems the software simply tracks as unread though messages posted since your last visit. When you leave the forums it treats everything as read. It doesn't seem to really track messages individually as they're opened like some of the other message board software. For me, the value of the community here is worth any inconviences caused by the software.

• 2 weeks later...

This A.M. is a good example of the problem. I popped in briefly to see what news had been posted with the intent of catching up on the 80 new posts when I got to work. The problem is, popping in to check the news marked everything I haven't read yet as read :naughty: I really do think it's by design but it is a poor design I hope the software developers address in the future. In every other message board software I have worked with that had read/unread marking, your messages do not get marked as read until you actually open the messages you haven't read yet. Marking all posts as read just because you visited the sites home page is not really read/unread functionality.

I know that in Snitz Forums all posts that are new *since your last visit* are considered unread, all other posts are marked as read.

And that seems to be the case here. The problem is you pop in for a sec and leave and everything gets marked as read.

Part of this mornings marking is my fault. I have been logging out when I leave so that I can pop in as a guest to take a peak when I've got a sec and it won't mark my messages as read. Last night I didn't log out so when I popped in briefly this morning I was logged in. This marked everything as read even though I didn't read anything :naughty: For now I'll just have to get used to logging out so that brief visits don't mark anything.