Science Forums

Let's Build a Hybrid Cycle

GAHD

Firstly, it woud be 4500PSI, recommended pressure, secondly the pumping systems to create the pressure are, while not super efficient, fairly readily available. It may cost you 3-4bucks of electric energy to fill the air tank, but it's not even as polluting as an electric engine, and it takes literally less then a minute to fill the tank. Another thing, you want to have a tank that is not built into the frame, reason for that is safety, you dont want to put stress on a tank of air at 4500psi, it's just not at all a smart idea, but in a bycicle, the frame needs to have some give, otehrwise in a bad accident, it will snap, and if a tank like that ruptures, it's MAJOR bad trouble, that's aside from having to custom mold the darn thing, and pressure test it... best bet is a carbon fiber frame and a separate carbon fiber tank.

now, to oil, DD, i hope you have gotten to look through this: www.engineair.com.au, there are no oil lines, nor any ports for oil in there, the stater rides on a film of air, i really think there's hardly any, if any at all, lubrication in this sucker, highly abrasion resistant materials, perhaps plastics like teflon or ceramics...

Now i have some friends that make custom bikes (i mean other then the engines, and they could manufacture the engine they just dont have anyone who can design one, everything else is custom, custom brake calipers, forks, body, frame, wheels, everything) , i wanna see if i can talk them into making a fully air-powered bike, rather convert a street bike to be fully air powered, with one 600cc rotary air engine or something (tell me that wont be a fun project)