Science Forums

Help me Understand plz

JulianKeller

YouTube - "Silver Tongued Sylar" - 3.03 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VezNyVbm1xo

The character in this video undergoes a great personality shift, the most visible affect is his body language becoming more dominant and take charge as well as his speech becoming very fast processed and leading with some sort of authority that makes even the tough guy policeman think he's who he's claiming to be.

This type of adaptive behaviour, I'd like to know the psychology behind it. How does it work? What is the motivation behind it? What is its purpose? What does it say about the person who uses it?

This guy in the tv show adapts his behaviour according to the people he's scene or the super powers he's absorbed. The closest I'd say is emotional contagion but it's intentional, it's done purposedly to mimic the personality, manneurisms, or to create even new ones in different cases.

I've also noticed that when some people are around others, their behaviours and maneurisms also adapt and become similar to those or the person around them unconsciously.

What is the purpose of this? :shrug:

so I am asking what is the psychology behind the intentional and at times unintentional 'personality shift'?

In the intentional case, it's called influence. Specifically, influence through authority (reputation).

Social influence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When it is unintentional, I would think that it's a form of social bonding. We are creatures of imitation. All of our lives, almost everything we learn is through imitating others.

I notice that I often change my personality slightly sometimes when hanging out with certain friends. It only makes sense as I have some friends that are very introverted and others that are very extroverted. It's easier to communicate and get along with someone when you are both on the same "wavelength".

• 1 year later...