Science Forums

The most misused words in the English language

mynah

What I found hardest at first about English (which I learned when I was about seven) was reconciling spelling with pronunciation. How do you explain to an adult who is starting to learn English that none of dough, plough and cough rhyme with each other?;)

posted by mynah

What I found hardest at first about English (which I learned when I was about seven) was reconciling spelling with pronunciation. How do you explain to an adult who is starting to learn English that none of dough, plough and cough rhyme with each other?

and what about those silent letters- know, freeze

when i was teaching new immigrants English, this was a little tricky:)

The Canadian humorist, mathematician, educator, and philosopher Stephen Leacock, one of the most important humorists in American history, loved all the -ough words, particularly slough, which he would generally pronounce "slog."

How many -ough words can people think of? How many pronunciations?

--lemit

I have been looking at job advertisements lately.

Boy, are there some overused words there.

I am sure you could make a list of all the jargon, shuffle it, to make an add for any 'position' (ie job)

A few e.g.s

"sourcing new opportunities" (not the old ones?)

"implementing commercial strategy" WTF?

"pivotal role" ( as a ballet dancer?)

"delivery of major projects" (by post or UPS?)

"Engagement may be negotiated on a non-ongoing basis for a specified term" (WTF?)

"rare opportunity" (Just how many 'rare' opportunities are there!)

"Strong collaborative relationships" (helping each other?)

"long term strategies" (you don't like short-term strategies?)

"integral" 9you are a matahamatecian?)

"strong leadership role" (as opposed to?)

"strategic asset management issues" (WTF?)

"unique opportunity" (Same as "rare opportunity" ?)

"challenging and exciting" ( No one in their right mind would take on this job?)

"contribute to strategic Enterprise Architecture planning and development"(WTF?)

"delivery of substantial spatially-enabled database holdings" (WTF?)

"A motor vehicle is also offered under the government vehicle Scheme (GVS)" (Did I really understand that? i feel it means i get a car if i get the job but does it?)

I did not look hard for these. All taken from REAL (?) adds

They were randomly taken from just twonews (not employment) pages of the Weekend Newspapers consisting of hundreds of pages.

It is really hard to apply for any of these jobs as i can't take them seriously :hihi:

If they really started to talk like that in an interview i would just crack up.

John Clease a rare, exciting, role, involving creative architecture and service delivery of a high order awaits you; enabling you to balance lifestyle with corporate structural & people management objectives within a strategy of excellence.

The Macquarie Dictionary

strategy

// (say 'stratuhjee)

noun (plural strategies)

1. Also, Chiefly US, strategics // (say struh'teejiks). generalship; the science or art of combining and employing the means of war in planning and directing large military movements and operations.

2. the use, or a particular use, of this science or art.

3. skilful management in getting the better of an adversary or attaining an end.

4. the method of conducting operations, especially by the aid of manoeuvring or stratagem. [Greek stratēgia generalship]

I might need a pistol and automatic weapon licence too. Things sound tough out there.

DAMMIT!!!! Why won't Hypnotoad let me Rep whoever the F*** I want, whenever I want?!?

That's like the umteenth time I've wanted to Rep someone but couldn't because a stupid arbitrary rule that I must Rep others worthy or not before I can Rep someone whom truly deserves it:(

That's some mighty entertainin readin there Mikey:hihi:

That's like the umteenth time I've wanted to Rep someone but couldn't because a stupid arbitrary rule that I must Rep others worthy or not before I can Rep someone whom truly deserves it:(

:hihi:

Mmmm...tastes like a lot of time! :hihi: So, do you say "umteenth" or "umpteenth", and/or is that just a typo? It is used properly though, so way to not misuse a word dude! Anyway, while looking it up to see if I was adding a "p" incorrectly, I found that should your misery ever stop, it will be for the umptieth time. :spin: :)

So here's a tip from doggy dad, for when you're down & feelin sad: >> everytime you see a spammer join & make an intro, neg rep them before staff gives 'em the boot 'cause that counts as 1 worthy rep that some-whom deserves. :Alien:

As to the whole "p" thing beats me depends on region I'd imagine:hihi: (Can you misuse a "made up" word?) Crumbs, appears not to be "made up" but prolly is "slanguage"....

Umteenth

And apparently the "p" is optional unlike the "p" that follows a nite of heavy drinkin':hihi:

So here's a tip from doggy dad, for when you're down & feelin sad: >> everytime you see a spammer join & make an intro, neg rep them before staff gives 'em the boot 'cause that counts as 1 worthy rep that some-whom deserves.

How you know for sure? I usually have my suspicions but never do really know till they disappear:(

I don't know if I'm the only person new enough to not have any idea what the hell the last few posts are talking about. Even if I am, I still don't know what the hell the last few posts are talking about. Are they on-topic? I don't know because I don't know what the hell the last few posts are talking about.

Can anyone explain to me how stupid I am? I'll bet someone can.

--lemit

I don't know if I'm the only person new enough to not have any idea what the hell the last few posts are talking about. Even if I am, I still don't know what the hell the last few posts are talking about. Are they on-topic? I don't know because I don't know what the hell the last few posts are talking about.

--lemit

I take it you've never heard the term *umteenth* (or umpteenth; whatever. When I've heard it used, I'm pretty sure a "p" was pronounced) before.

It's slang for: an unknown fairly large quantity.

As in: This is the umpteenth time I've had to remind him to brush his teeth before bed.

Not knowing something like this does not make you stupid. :)

--lemit

:) Sorry. ;) Prolly a weeee bit off-topic. :doh: This oughta set you straight: >> http://hypography.com/forums/user-feedback/11127-reputation.html

Now let's see...misused words...mmmm.... How about always? I always this and always that... Say it ain't so Joe! :P

Thank you to all of you whom have given me help both online and offline.

You know, I literally messed up. I can't believe I actually did that. I'll give a hundred and ten percent more effort to understand what all of you are actually saying the next time.

You know what I mean?

--lemit

Thank you to all of you whom have given me help both online and offline.

You know, I literally messed up. I can't believe I actually did that. I'll give a hundred and ten percent more effort to understand what all of you are actually saying the next time.

You know what I mean?

--lemit

:doh: Fo shizzle! Nicely played. :naughty:

Here's an oft misunderestimated pair of words that gives me a chuckle everytime I run across a report of a ship floundering. :doh: :naughty:

founder >> founder - definition of founder by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

flounder >> flounder - definition of flounder by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Usage Note: The verbs founder and flounder are often confused. Founder comes from a Latin word meaning "bottom" (as in foundation) and originally referred to knocking enemies down; it is now also used to mean "to fail utterly, collapse." Flounder means "to move clumsily, thrash about," and hence "to proceed in confusion." If John is foundering in Chemistry 1, he had better drop the course; if he is floundering, he may yet pull through.

Turtle, I hope this isn't being read by too many people. If those reports were corrected, I would miss the cartoonish image of a ship flailing away.

Also, I hope the other members of this group don't mind if I avoid the cacophony of the bells and also the whistles to write as if I were using a pencil and a lined pad. To a writer who has been afraid to write for forty years, the simple use of language and sometimes the parody of the complex use of language is indescribably joyful. Thank you for so cheerfully suffering me and allowing me to rediscover my voice.

I promise not to be so maudlin in the future. I also promise to retain a fairly primitive use of language. Sorry about that.

--lemit

--lemit

it has to do with the "reputation system" here

If you like a post click on the green square button in the upper right hand corner of every post

You should then get a space where you can say some (don't know how many) few words complimenting the poster on the post. You can even ad the odd smilie.

The system is so arcane that only a few here really understand it. Something designed by a demented mathematician.

There used to be al little "user cp" word button you could press, that would take you to a page where all these little messages lived, happily for a short while before they were reincarnated into free disk space.

That seems to have disappeared so I don't know how you get to the page anymore

Equally you can hit the red-square button and say something nasty to the person without anyone knowing what you have said. But no-one here uses that button. Karma has a way of getting you back :doh: