Science Forums

What is "slow shock?"

have been looking up slow shock in the internet and find nothing on it.

Please, do not confuse it with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. What I refer to as slow shock is not the same. It is not the same as cultural shock, either.

I was in a situation for months in which I was too involved too closely for too long with too many people. Being brought up, as a child, without playmates, I was not used to it. My personal space is large. I had lived abroad and gotten over cultural shock. No trauma was involved so PTSD was not involved either.

My symptoms involved a slow, day by day, loss of circulation in the hands and feet. They became so cold I had to wear glovers and several pairs of wool socks. They were still cold. The blood was pooling in my abdominal and thoracic cavities. I had so much "heartburn" that I would eat a whole half gallon of ice cream at a time---yet, relief was only temporary. I was experiencing too much nervous system stress from what to might be called, for me, "over-crowding."

Is there a medical or neurological condition known as slow shock? I experienced it and it was a major event for me and has had life-long consequences. Decades later, I have leg twitching when I sleep, digestive disorders, irregular heart beat problems and am always doing something with my hands even when relaxed.

There is such a concept as "over-crowding." Perhaps these are not terms or concept used in medicine, but they are in biology and, as well, in social pathology and psychology. There is a certain level of population per unit of "territory" in which most animals---we included---begin to feel a build up of stress. It is tempting to think of our personal space being involved, but there is something we can call territorial space which is also involved with stress levels. With some animals, the adrenal glands enlarge and they begin dying. These traits evolve because they either result in pushing out some of their numbers into new territory and, if that is not possible, a crash in population results that restores normalcy. In different animals, the stress builds up before there is even a shortage of food and leads to a breakdown in social behavior which, we humans, would describe as social problems: increasing gang activities, breakdown in family behavior, etc.---and slow shock.

This can go on from medicine, psychology, biology to social theory. We humans can perhaps see troubling consequences ahead in world affairs. Aren't we also getting too crowded on our Earth? Isn't that why we are experiencing so much environmental problems and why world affairs stress has built up so much since the collapse of Boshevism?

I would appreciate any medical information on "slow shock" such as if it is a known physiological condition, what effect it has on pulse, bp, and if it can lead directly to death.

hi Charles,

I am curious, have you ever been tested for Diabetes? All of your symptoms fall under category Type 1.Damage to your nerves can cause numbness and low body temp in your extremities.There are 3 types of nerve damage

Peripheral neuropathy-this affects sense of pain, hot , cold and muscle movement. most common affected area is the legs and feet

Autonic neuropathy-affects heartbeat , blood pressure, sweating, digestion, urination and sexual function

Focal neuropathy-affects a single nerve and comes on rapidly- usually wrist, foot, or eye

Heartburn, arrythmias and twitching are all symptoms following Diabetic Neuropathy

I strongly recommend you see a physician

Medically, “shock” is has two fairly discrete meanings, both describing a short-term, acute state. One is a synonym of “acute stress reaction”. Another, more common meaning, to which the many people who receive basic first aid training are introduced, is a technical description of various related conditions in which blood is not circulated sufficiently to reach vial organs, particularly the brain, typically known as "circulatory shock".

At one time, it was common to use terms like “shell shock” to describe psychological disorders such as what’s now called post-traumatic stress disorder. That usage has been discouraged, and is now almost completely unused by scientists, clinicians, and academics.

What you’re describing, Charles, sound like symptoms of a disease. Pamela’s guess that they could be symptom of diabetes seems to me a pretty good one. However, I join her in strongly recommending you see a medical doctor or nurse. There are so many possible diagnoses, and such a poor ability to examine a person via posts in a forum, and I am so unqualified to make any medical diagnosis whatever, that I won’t risk discouraging you from seeing a doctor or nurse as soon as possible by offering any information other than the appropriately scary observation that many of the symptoms you describe could indicate a heart condition that could result in your sudden death!

I appreciate your responses, Pamela and Craig. At my age, in my 80s, I see many doctors---most frequently, a cardiologist and a gastroenterologist. I am not being treated for any neurological condition but I have had a complete blood work up tests recently and the inside of my gastro-intenstinal system has been seen from one end to the other.

The gradual loss in peripheral circulation has been very slow and was first noticed about ten years ago. I have never had a diagnosis of any stage of diabetes and no one in my family or my relatives ever had either.

Your posts have been helpful. Not being diabetes and there not being any condition known as slow shock, I have to conclude it is just a coincidence that it feels like and resembles the period of over-stress with the same shock systems I felt several generations ago. Those cold toe and finger symptoms are now apparently all due to my weakening heart.