Science Forums

Is Atlantis Under Greenland Ice Shelf? Just throwing the idea out there.

Shieldage

The melting ice around the north pole could also reveal a land mass unknown about and or hidden ???
In short, no.

The floor of the Arctic Ocean has been mapped to an accuracy of +/- 40 m depth. Nowhere is less than about 800 m deep. (Maps of the Arctic Basin Sea Floor: A History of Bathymetry and its Interpretation appears a pretty good history of this)

It’s important to understand that there is a great difference between the terrain at the North and the South geometric and current magnetic poles. The South poles are located on the continent of Antarctica. The North poles are located in the middle of the Artic Ocean. Another important feature of these two regions is that Antarctica is covered by a thick (average about 2000 m) layer of glacially deposited ice, while the Arctic Ocean is covered only by a shifting, varying area, fairly thin (average about 2 m). Recently, the area Arctic Ocean ice has been observed to be shrinking at an unexpected rate, leading to predictions that, by 2013 to 2030, it will be completely ice free during summer.

Unlike the underwater floor of the Arctic Ocean, which can be imaged accurately with sonar (or even the old-fashioned method of drilling holes in the ice and lowering sounding lines), the ice-covered terrain of Antarctica is difficult to image, requiring such techniques as seismometry, ice-penetrating radar, and deep drilling.

There are many islands near the Arctic Ocean, in the Barants Sea, and, of course, the very tip of the Earth’s largest island, Greenland. Since the borders of the Arctic Ocean are essentially arbitrary and man-made, one could reasonably argue that its lack of islands is artificial. Still, its surrounding islands are not unknown.

In short, no.

The floor of the Arctic Ocean has been mapped to an accuracy of +/- 40 m depth. Nowhere is less than about 800 m deep. (Maps of the Arctic Basin Sea Floor: A History of Bathymetry and its Interpretation appears a pretty good history of this)

It’s important to understand that there is a great difference between the terrain at the North and the South geometric and current magnetic poles. The South poles are located on the continent of Antarctica. The North poles are located in the middle of the Artic Ocean. Another important feature of these two regions is that Antarctica is covered by a thick (average about 2000 m) layer of glacially deposited ice, while the Arctic Ocean is covered only by a shifting, varying area, fairly thin (average about 2 m). Recently, the area Arctic Ocean ice has been observed to be shrinking at an unexpected rate, leading to predictions that, by 2013 to 2030, it will be completely ice free during summer.

Unlike the underwater floor of the Arctic Ocean, which can be imaged accurately with sonar (or even the old-fashioned method of drilling holes in the ice and lowering sounding lines), the ice-covered terrain of Antarctica is difficult to image, requiring such techniques as seismometry, ice-penetrating radar, and deep drilling.

There are many islands near the Arctic Ocean, in the Barants Sea, and, of course, the very tip of the Earth’s largest island, Greenland. Since the borders of the Arctic Ocean are essentially arbitrary and man-made, one could reasonably argue that its lack of islands is artificial. Still, its surrounding islands are not unknown.

Thank you much Craig, it certainly appears that you have done research

on the Artic. I guess we won't be finding any paradise up there lol ha ha.

I prefer the warm paradise anyway, cold enough in Tennessee. Hawaii now

there's a paradise I could move to except hurricanes, ouch, better stay

right where I am, but Valdosta Georgia sure is tempting and close to the ocean and I might just move there some day, yeah.

William

That's good. You know, the Garden of Eden was originally in Georgia, on the western edge, near where Pine Mountain is today. Adam and Eve's graves were found there just a few years ago. I saw it on the History Channel, so it must be true.

:-/

Damn, all these years of study and searching for the truth only to one upped by the Discovery Channel :)

• 2 months later...
I propose that Atlantis is under the Greenland Ice Shelf.

Could anyone find evidence to agree with the proposal, or give reason that the concept is indisputably wrong?

I don't think so. Greenland has been covered in ice for millions of years while Plato mentions Atlantis existing in approximately 9600 BC.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Could anyone find evidence to agree with the proposal, or give reason that the concept is indisputably wrong?

I haven't heard that hypothesis before, but since the introduction of the Google Ocean layer a few weeks ago, the idea that it has been found in the Madeira abyssal plain off the northwest coast of Africa has certainly gotten a lot of press. What people began to find was this:

The lines looked like traces of sonar surveys to me, so I did a bit of googling around and found the following report:

THE GEOLOGY OF THE MADEIRA ABYSSAL PLAIN

FURTHER STUDIES RELEVANT TO ITS SUITABILITY FOR

RADIOACTIVE WASTE DISPOSAL

On page 54 of the PDF document is this illustration:

I created an overlay and many of the large scale traces matched up perfectly. The purpose of the survey was to find a good deep basin to dispose of nuclear waste.

You can read more about it here: Grid in Atlantic Ocean - Google Earth Community

There are also links to other literature about the subject as well as a link to a post explaining about how the 3-D bathymetry for the ocean layer is created.

You will need GE5 to see the imagery with Google Earth. No GE5? Go to Google Maps and search for Madeira Plain. You can at least see the 2-D view.

here is the latest that i read

A man browsing through Google Ocean, the new program that allows for virtual exploration of the ocean’s depths, briefly claimed to have found Atlantis, leading some to joke that a Google search really can find anything–even fabled cities that may never have existed. The man believed he had spotted the street grid of the ancient city that the philosopher Plato said sunk beneath the waves in 9000 BC. The network of criss-cross lines is 620 miles off the coast of north west Africa near the Canary Islands on the floor of the Atlantic Ocean…. The underwater image can be found at the co-ordinates 31 15′15.53N 24 15′30.53W [Telegraph].

But the exciting idea that a 11,000-year-old city could be located from a desktop computer was short-lived. Google quickly issued a statement explaining that the grid pattern was an artifact of the process used to collect data about the sea floor. “Bathymetric (or sea floor terrain) data is often collected from boats using sonar to take measurements of the sea floor…. The lines reflect the path of the boat as it gathers the data. The fact there are blank spots between each of these lines is a sign of how little we really know about the world’s oceans” [bBC News], the statement says.

The excitement began when the grid was spotted by aeronautical engineer Bernie Bamford as he browsed through Google Ocean. Bernie, 38, of Chester, said: “It looks like an aerial map…. It must be man-made” [The Sun]. However, further examination revealed that the grid was larger than the state of Connecticut; experts noted that it was pretty unlikely that an ancient civilization, no matter how advanced, could have built a walled city of that size.

Plato described Atlantis as a marvelous island city carved partially from solid rock, and as a naval power with great riches. In his account the city was destroyed by earthquakes and floods, and finally sunk in “one grievous day and night.” For centuries, scholars and the public have debated whether there’s any historical truth to Plato’s account of Atlantis. But while amateur explorers may not have found that prize, Google’s statement notes that there’s plenty to find through its virtual replica of our planet. “[M]any amazing discoveries have been made in Google Earth including a pristine forest in Mozambique that is home to previously unknown species and the remains of an Ancient Roman villa”

Did Google Earth Find Atlantis? Well, No. | 80beats | Discover Magazine

• 6 months later...

After a lot of research, I found that there actually is enough real scientific information about the ancient world available to us to solve the mystery of Atlantis - so that's what I've done in this 8 minute video.

YouTube - Lost History-Finding Atlantis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cvT44vbkhA

I'd be interested in your thoughts and opinions.

I recently watched a show on discovery that explaiend that Atlantis was likely on Crete, or one of the island there. The explained reasoning is that the Crete had technologies long before Egyptians and later the Greeks had them, Such as multistory buildings and water and sewer systems for buildings and the city. The civilization was very rich and composed of traders. They had developed minining and metallurgy. The buildings were coated with Pyrite, a mineral that shines, and to sea-farers and new-comers it looked like gold. The city had a multistory palace, shining a top of a hill. Unfortunately, it was and it is close to the continental divide which caused eruptions and earthquakes, which are belived to have caused destruction of the island, possibly a tsunami or some such flooding.

That's possibly where Plato got his ideas from. I think he was just trying to give an example of what a utopian society might be - something for the Greeks, and us, to perhaps strive for. The reality, however, if you you at agriculture and the history of crop domestication, is that there couldn't have been any civilizations thousands of years before Plato's time.

• 5 years later...

I too have considered Greenland to be a possible site for the City of Atlantis. Given similarities in its shape to the shape presented for the island on old maps. I must however point out that Moontanman has a point about the age of the ice shelf.

I thought that was a given  Seriously, the Greenland ice shield is millions of years old, Wasn't Atlantis just a few thousand years ago?

It must als be noted that Atlantis was a near the coast where the ice is currently much thinner than other areas. Giving some credence to the possibility of the city of Atlantise being located on Greenlands East Coast. The Ice Age may have been progressing and making the land less and less habitable, forcing the Atlanteans to seek land elsewhere to settle. Why they were at war with the Greeks I don't rightly know (See Critias and Timaeous by Homer).

post-92276-0-72048800-1434366857_thumb.jpg 
This image shows a similarity in shape between Greenland and the map of the Island. The Original map has been stretched and thus fits. It was done like this as the ancients did not have the aerial capabilities that we now have and often their maps were not 100% accurate, though they did atleast resemble the bodies of land they were to represent.

post-92276-0-27569100-1434367277_thumb.jpg
This point is shown above in the this map of the world, presented much much later during the middle ages of the middle east and india. The accuracy of old maps can not be taken literally but their validity can not be thrown out the window without considering the probability of misplaced locations on the map due to lack of aerial viewing, ie. satellite photography.

Thank you for reading my commentary on this topic.

Any comments are welcome.

post-92276-0-45551000-1434366861_thumb.gif

post-92276-0-79736700-1434366868_thumb.jpg

post-92276-0-30513700-1434366944_thumb.jpg