Science Forums

Miniature plane?

I wonder if it is possible to make a fully operative miniature, lets say jet plane. Although this question could apply to anything. By making a small machine,which makes a smaller machine to make an even smaller machine to make the components and also to assemble a fully working miniature plane.

Possibly this plane could be made with a miniature atomic weapon which could be flown into the eye or nose of somebody you wish to assassinate and detonated.

Is this Possible?

I think there are going to be a few limits on what we can miniaturize, and I think that your hypothetical machine is exemplary of a few of those sitiuations.

The plane:

I think there may be some limitations of size due to the nature of the lift ratios provided by miniature wings. We may be able to reduce the size, but the density will increse, so I think this is porbably a losing direction with the materails we have available.

The bomb:

It is my understanding that our ability to create atomic fission is VERY ineffecient (While it greatly out weighs any other energy source we have tapped in so far). I believe you require at lesat a mass of fuel that would not be reducable at this point.

Is it possible to reduce the distance from the nucleus to the electron? By doing this, we could greatly reduce the size of something. I don't know if it is even a valid question within quantum physics, however.
I agree that the molecular structure of the materials you use would have to determine just how small a working model could be.

We know that a bluebottle can fly. would it be possible to make a fully operational plane the size of a bluebottle?
There've been quite a few successful attempts to make insect sized planes that are self controlled (i.e. they don't really do what you want yet, just respond to simple gyroscopic inputs). I also remember seeing somewhere instructions for constructing an "insect powered glider" where you'd glue a house fly (or if you're a thrill seeker, a wasp) to a tiny glider. There are slightly larger (hummingbird sized) contraptions that are remotely controlled. There's work on getting these down to insect size, but a lot of it is classified (although I don't think its going on at Area 51).

Now putting a *jet* on one is possible with two limitations: jets are complex hunks of machinery. With current technology, You'd be lucky to get one of a size smaller than a lunchbox that was at all reliable (i.e. would shake itself apart) and would probably weigh at least 20-40 pounds, *before* you added the weight of the fuel. You'd need a pretty big wingspan to handle that. In addition, a jet would put out a LOT of horsepower, and your reflexes would have to be phenominal to be able to guide the thing, even remotely controlling slow propeller craft is pretty tricky, and the ROV spyplanes the military uses actually aren't directly controlled in the conventional sense: the "pilots" of these things have started to call themselves "programmers" because its mainly a matter of saying things like "go here" and "head this direction" and "land". There's no real stick involved. You'd need that kind of technology to deal with a jet powered ROV for sure.

If you were looking for power, a rocket engine of course can be made tiny (take a look at the Estes catalog), but you're only gonna get a few seconds of thrust. You'll get speed though!

Similarly, you've heard of the "briefcase sized" atom bombs, but they weigh a LOT, so you'd need an even bigger wingspan. Give the current technology today, probably the smallest plane that could handle the jet, the avionics and the bomb would probably have a wingspan of 20 feet or more.

Professional driver on a closed course. Do not attempt this at home.

Cheers,

Buffy

Modern designs for the recreational RC hobby has produced a number of smaller jet engines and planes. You can find planes at about 1/15 scale. I have seen them as small as 30" wingspans with weights at about 2.5 lbs fully fueled (with jet engines).
Sure enough! There appear to be smaller ones that use "ducted fan" which seems to be a pure turbine (i.e. a propeller in a tube) as opposed to a turbo "jet" where theres actual combustion going on to produce thrust. Here's one I found that weighs in at 1kg: http://www.modelflight.com.au/jet_turbine_rc.htm

Cheers,

Buffy

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replys.

I particularly liked the Insect powered glider idea!. Use a bee and plant a daffodil on the the recipient :(

Buffy caught on to the idea that scientists in secret laboratories somewhere are working on this miniature technology.

I realise that lathes would have to be made to make the lathe, to make the lathe, to work in much smaller dimensions.

I'm pretty sure that if this technology had existed,that Saddam would have been one of its first victims.

In future times with the use of computers and miniature tools I'm sure that some amazing devices will be made.