Science Forums

Artificial blood: (perflourocarbons)

Tim_Lou

perflourocarbons (PFCs), organic chemical compounds that consists of a chain of carbons and florine atoms attached to it (instead of hydrogen). It is found that this type of chemicals are able to carry oxygen similar to hemoglobin, and it is far more efficient than hemoglobin.

The advantages of this artificial blood are its high efficiency and the fact that it can be used by everybody--it can acts as a universal "donor". But this compound can only replace hemoglobin, not the entire blood, since blood contains other molecules and cells that have functions other than carrying oxygen.

there is this product called Oxygent, and it has been in the market for quite some time, take a look at this website for more information:

http://www.allp.com/Oxygent/ox_fact.htm

One problem with this type of compounds is that it is a greehouse gas, uncontrolled production of them might lead to serious problems...

according to this website: http://www.tufts.edu/tuftsrecycles/more/CanLife.html

if you are interested in how these compounds dissolve oxygen in such great amount,

the following website has the information:

http://symp15.nist.gov/pdf/p193.pdf

"The chemical structure and the weak intermolecular interactions are responsible for the specific properties of PFCs namely the low surface tensions (<20 mN m-1), dielectric constants and refractive indices, the high densities, viscosities and gas solubilities that are the largest known for liquids...."

(why did i post this? because it was valentine and there was a mass blood donation in my school... imagine if no one needs to donate blood anymore... hehe)

the question then is can this chemical be synthesized within living creatures?

and since it has the ability to offer higher oxygen absorbtion rates wouldn't pro athletes eventually replace their hemoglobin with such oxygen transport methods to gain an advantage?

i'm just thinking about the body trying to metabolize the stuff and poisoning abusers with loose fluorine derivatives.

alternatively qrio and his progeny could use this stuff to power more efficient internal power and cooling systems and forgo heavy battery technology. but thats only the oxygen half of the equation they'd need to store hydrogen to power passive fuel cells (exhaling water vapor), if of course methods of diffusing hydrogen into the PFC 'blood' can't be found... fuel cell alveoli?

i dont think any living creature can make these compounds... they contain fluorine atoms and some contain bromine atoms and are manufactured by replacing fluorine with hydrogen. They are chemically inert and wouldnt be quite useful for living things beside carrying oxygens.

hehe, but if we can engineer some bacteria that make these compounds, we can put them in our body and have a more efficient circulatory system....

After the PFCs are put into the body, they dont stay forever... and there are problems with these compounds:

according to http://www.dcmsonline.org/jax-medicine/1998journals/december98/artificialblood.htm

"The molecules are sequestered in the reticuloendothelial system, particularly in the Kupffer cells of the liver and macrophages, and subsequently released back into the plasma as a dissolved gas. The perfluorocarbon gas is then exhaled unchanged and non-metabolized via the lungs. While previous perfluorocarbons had a significant amount of retention in the reticuloendothelial system, current generation perfluorocarbons such as perflubron have a retention time of approximately one week."

Well, these PFCs cannot be used for too long or too much..... anyway, they are still under development....hopefully, these problems can be solved.

i kept that qxs out because carbon dioxide (and monoxide) seem to be much better sources for oxygen for a machine, whereas you pointed out it would kill the host if too much of either was retained.

pfcs cause higher carbon+oxygen retention in the body? hmm.. not much good for pro-athletes then.

but if the carbon can be source from the atmosphere and then converted into pure carbon residue and modified into carbon nanotubes efficiently in one or very few steps (i believe there are ways of growing nanotubes using common static air filters?) then machines inhaling carbon+oxygen with pfc blood and exhaling water vapor sounds like a given. must notify sony and honda at once!

also to draw this topic in with another space travelers need a carbon scrubber for cabin atmosphere.. perhaps the robot crew can make up for what plants can't accomplish in that arena.

i think the reason why PFCs are more effective than hemoglobin is because, in hemoglobin, oxygen binds to the hemoglobin while for PFCs, oxygen dissolves in it.

oh... yeah from this website: http://www.allp.com/Oxygent/ox_fact.htm

"Unlike hemoglobin, Oxygent does not chemically bind the gas molecules, but absorbs and releases them quickly by simple diffusion. Oxygent is therefore more efficient at delivering oxygen to the tissues than hemoglobin."

• 2 months later...

hi yes red blood cells can be maniluplated there is this unknown consou a person who had died or nearly but has revived back to life but has the effect of this is his red blood cells need to be changed regularly meaning the lips go red everyday due to the unsufficient haemoglobin in the blood and this is asign which then can lead toseries of bad paranoi dreams and various other defects such as the artificla blood patlets need to be given using a syringe this is a manipulation process of the red platlets in the cell and the lips bright up with red aura as the blood is harvesting on this to keep on letting this person live

but if the syrum is not achived to the body in 5 hrs u will see more redness around the mouth and the body as also the nervous system does not get effected in a evry dangerous way but the cell start to die and this dead living person his skin would change or start to bleed untill the artifical platlets are achived back into his body

the person i heard through my freind his name has two initials either A.K or I.K this person did have cuts on his wrist i dont know if this is true or mearly a figment of someone imagination but if this is happening well then

only god nows he was based in america but now hsi whereabout is unknowm mainly still in america or a smalltown

thank me for the information later came from a unknown source but highely reliable

hi yes red blood cells can be maniluplated there is this unknown consou a person who had died or nearly but has revived back to life but has the effect of this is his red blood cells need to be changed regularly meaning the lips go red everyday due to the unsufficient haemoglobin in the blood and this is asign which then can lead toseries of bad paranoi dreams and various other defects such as the artificla blood patlets need to be given using a syringe this is a manipulation process of the red platlets in the cell and the lips bright up with red aura as the blood is harvesting on this to keep on letting this person live

but if the syrum is not achived to the body in 5 hrs u will see more redness around the mouth and the body as also the nervous system does not get effected in a evry dangerous way but the cell start to die and this dead living person his skin would change or start to bleed untill the artifical platlets are achived back into his body

the person i heard through my freind his name has two initials either A.K or I.K this person did have cuts on his wrist i dont know if this is true or mearly a figment of someone imagination but if this is happening well then

only god nows he was based in america but now hsi whereabout is unknowm mainly still in america or a smalltown

thank me for the information later came from a unknown source but highely reliable

the person i heard through my freind his name has two initials either A.K or this person did have cuts on his wrist i dont know if this is true or mearly a figment of someone imagination but if this is happening well then

2nd part of my post

No, this material came from someone else: a site which you failed to provide a reference for. That's plagiarism. It's also unethical and potentially illegal (I'm not a lawyer, so don't know one way or the other for sure).

Here's the reference for 'your' material you failed to provide.

http://www.baylorhealth.edu/proceedings/14_2/14_2_kresie.html

• 13 years later...

Human blood is a specialized bodily fluid that amounts to seven to eight percent of human body weight. This essential fluid performs the critical function of transporting oxygen and nutrients to the body cells and transporting back carbon dioxide, ammonia, and other waste products away from cells. Oxygen carrying capacity of human blood to lungs is attributed to the presence of red blood cells (RBCs) which are of utmost importance. Artificial blood substitutes are being researched and developed as alternatives for replacing RBCs for oxygen carrying capacity. 

Blood substitutes market is categorized into two segments viz. Perfluorocarbon-based oxygen carriers (PFBOC), and Hemoglobin-based oxygen carriers (HBOC). PFBOCs are based on inert components which replace hydrogen with fluorine. HBOCs consists of hemoglobin derived products sourced from humans blood, bovine blood, microorganisms and transgenic animals.