Science Forums

Problems with Palin

Theory5

As for the big debate tonight, heres the inside track I've heard...

Will Palin wear her hair up or down?

If its down, it's to conceal the earpiece that will have her answers ready for her.

:eek:

*not saying its true, just watercooler fodder* :D

I think the debate can either go really well for Palin or really bad, but not either. Expectations are set so low for her, she only has to give coherent answers to consider it her best performance ever. As long as the interviewer asks a question she has been fed an answer to memorize, she will be fine. If the question deviates from what she is prepared for in even the slightest way, her true stupidity will show through and we will get a completely incoherent answer.

This woman is single handedly setting back the Women's Movement by thirty years. They chose a beauty queen for no other reason than to put a woman on the ticket and she is turning out to be a stereotypical ditz. I feel sorry for my future daughters... they would have been the generation to see a woman reach the highest level of US government, now they will only see it in their daughters generation.

My problem with Palin is that she is a religous extremist, and traditionally, these people deal in absolutes. And we all know, only a Sith lord deals in absoltues. Therefore, I will do what I must. And hope that others will do the same. What they must to ensure that this Sith and her Master do not manipulate their way into global power.

Modern Intelligent Design is based in other than religious beliefs, and all points of view should be taught to maintain open-minded approach to learning in the universe. The inquiry regarding book banning was a question as to whether censorship of any kind was acceptable to the librarian. The answer was in the negative. It is common among politicians, upon being elected, to review subordinates' performance and views, and ask for resignations from those that supported the opponent in the election. No big conspiracy or hidden agenda.

Palin is tough and has not been corrupted by years upon years in the Washington environment. She's a breath of fresh air with the view of the common person.

She's shown negotiation skills in hammering out trade agreements with Canada and Russia, and joint ventures with Canadian companies.

She's square-jaw, steely-eyed, and has my support for the Vice-Presidency.

Modern Intelligent Design is based in other than religious beliefs, and all points of view should be taught to maintain open-minded approach to learning in the universe.

Evolution is NOT a "point of view." It is an accurate representation of reality supported by mountains of evidence which has withstood every challenge and every test thrown at it for over 150 years, improving with each.

Intelligent Design is a debunked idea based on zero evidence in it's favor, which relies only on wish thinking from people who desperately want a fairy tale written by iron age tribesman to be valid (which it's not).

The inquiry regarding book banning was a question as to whether censorship of any kind was acceptable to the librarian. The answer was in the negative.

Check your facts. Specific books were mentioned. Her church had been going after a book designed to speak to children on how to deal with gay parents. It was a book that was superbly done, but went against her religious beliefs. When she was asked if she'd even read it, Palin replied, "No."

Palin is tough and has not been corrupted by years upon years in the Washington environment. She's a breath of fresh air with the view of the common person.

The air you describe as fresh, most educated souls who have an accurate grasp on reality describe as poo stinky.

She's shown negotiation skills in hammering out trade agreements with Canada and Russia

Please cite these trade agreements which she has hammered out. As far as I know, her exposure to Russia is nothing more than the fact that she can see it from a tall mountain in her state.

She's square-jaw, steely-eyed, and has my support for the Vice-Presidency.

She's also a complete paste-eating douchenozzle who would lose an argument to an infant, but yeah, whatever.

First of all, welcome to Hypography, Buffbro. :smart:

Modern Intelligent Design is based in other than religious beliefs, and all points of view should be taught to maintain open-minded approach to learning in the universe.

Intelligent Design, modern or otherwise, is not science. It is pseudoscience in that it's premise (the Designer/Creator/God) is not falsifiable and is unable to be subjected to the scientific method. Therefore it should not be included as a part of any Biology curriculum if it is our intention to maintain scientific integrity in our students' education. Rather, ID is a form of philosophy and can be exposed to students in that arena as an elective. Beside the fact that it is completely inappropriate, there is simply not enough time to present all pseudoscientific points of view including ID, Astrology, Numerology, ESP, or Witchcraft in a science curriculum that is already replete with authentic scientific study.

(please respond to my comments on this subject in one of the many other threads relating to Intelligent Design in these fora so as not to stray from the topic of this thread)

The inquiry regarding book banning was a question as to whether censorship of any kind was acceptable to the librarian. The answer was in the negative.

No surprise there. Any good librarian would be opposed to book banning. What's surprising is that she had the audacity to ask, and then threatened to fire her when she didn't like the reply. Only a rally of support by a local group of concerned citizens saved her job.

It is common among politicians, upon being elected, to review subordinates' performance and views, and ask for resignations from those that supported the opponent in the election. No big conspiracy or hidden agenda.

No. But when she hired a bunch of her high school friends, some of which were unqualified for certain positions, it sure smacked of cronyism.

I suppose then that you like Barack Obama for these reasons as well. ;)

She's shown negotiation skills in hammering out trade agreements with Canada and Russia, and joint ventures with Canadian companies.

What was the nature of these agreements and how much involvement did she really have in their negotiations? Can you provide examples, or are you just repeating what you've heard?

Edit: Sorry INow, looks like we were both responding to Buffbro at the same time. Imagine that. :turtle:

Thanks Turtle I needed a laugh, that will go down as a classic response for all time. ID is still a pig :)

My pleasure. :turtle:

Yet more lipstick is wiped away today, and the pig is outa the poke as they say, and maybe headed to the poky. Now not just a 'problem with Palin', this is a full-on 'problem for Palin' . Nota gonna helpa Johnny either I dare saya. :)

...The Associated Press lede: "Sarah Palin unlawfully abused her power as governor by trying to have her former brother-in-law fired as a state trooper, the chief investigator of an Alaska legislative panel concluded Friday. The politically charged inquiry imperiled her reputation as a reformer on John McCain's Republican ticket. ...
Troopergate Report: Palin 'Abused Power'

omg and wow every old person has a McCain & Palin sign outside of their house, i just think it is pathetic that McCain can't use a computer at all and that Palin got her yahoo account hacked because her secret answer questions where things you can find on Google!!

Interesting - now think of what her security code at The White House is going to be, if she ever has to launch a pre-emptive strike anywhere in the world!

'Sorry madam President, Gary McKinnon has just countered your launch sequence!':lol:

Both Sarah & John are going to need all the good humor they can muster. Sarah to answer to her record as Gov. , and John for his judgment in choosing Sarah in the first place. ;)

...As governor, Palin justified having the state pay for the travel of her daughters — Bristol, 17; Willow, 14; and Piper, 7 — by noting on travel forms that the girls had been invited to attend or participate in events on the governor's schedule.

But some organizers of these events said they were surprised when the Palin children showed up uninvited, or said they agreed to a request by the governor to allow the children to attend.

The state is already reviewing nearly $17,000 in per diem payments to Palin for more than 300 nights she slept at her own home, 40 miles from her satellite office in Anchorage.

The Associated Press: AP INVESTIGATION: Alaska funded Palin kids' travel

Not only does she and the republicans have to deal with ethical/legal issues, they now have PR issues.

Apparently the Republican National Committee has spent more than $150,000 on clothes and accessories for the Palin family.

Hair and Makup... $4700

Clothes at Neiman Marcus... $75,000

'Campaign Accessories' from Saks... $50,000

Trying to portray yourself as a down to earth 'Hockey Mom'? Priceless!!:)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/10/22/earlyshow/main4538064.shtml?tag=topHome;topStories

YouTube - Palin hits fruit fly research but it has helped autism http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCXqKEs68Xk

Where does a lot of that earmark money end up anyway? […] You've heard about some of these pet projects they really don't make a whole lot of sense and sometimes these dollars go to projects that have little or nothing to do with the public good. Things like fruit fly research in Paris, France. I kid you not.

Yes! Stupid fruit-fly researchers! What have we ever gotten out of any of that!!!

:hihi:

via PZ

Way to check out a running mate McCain. Is this a fluke or do you plan to pick all your appointees with the same ineptitude? :turtle:

Gov. Sarah Palin's signature accomplishment — a contract to build a 1,715-mile pipeline to bring natural gas from Alaska to the Lower 48 — emerged from a flawed bidding process that narrowed the field to a company with ties to her administration, an Associated Press investigation shows.

Beginning at the Republican National Convention in August, the McCain-Palin ticket has touted the pipeline as an example of how it would help America achieve energy independence.

"We're building a nearly $40 billion natural gas pipeline, which is North America's largest and most expensive infrastructure project ever, to flow those sources of energy into hungry markets," Palin said during the Oct. 2 vice presidential debate.

Despite Palin's boast of a smart and fair bidding process, the AP found that her team crafted terms that favored only a few independent pipeline companies and ultimately benefited the winner, TransCanada Corp. ...

ABC News: AP INVESTIGATION: Palin Pipeline Terms Curbed Bids

Wow.

Pharyngula: Losing the sense of the argument

Losing the sense of the argument

I think we can all already see the defense the right wing is throwing up to rationalize Sarah Palin's inane remarks about "
": she wasn't disparaging all research into fruit flies, but only one specific earmark for studying agricultural pests.

Baloney.

The context of that comment was that she was claiming research had "little or nothing to do with the public good", and she brought up these seemingly trivial little animals and a place the right wing despises as dogwhistles to her hoople-headed fans. Claiming now that she was making an informed criticism of a specific study is a feeble attempt to distract with a lie.

Remember, this is the crank governor of Alaska who denies evolution and global warming, the backup candidate to a man who
and calls a multimillion dollar educational tool an "
", from a party that
because they want more stem cell research, and idiots want to claim that she isn't really anti-science because in this one case she was actually targeting an instance of applied research that directly benefits agricultural interests?

That's insane. You have to be a purblind slavering zombie of the Rethuglican party to swallow that.

It goes deeper than just trying to belittle science, too — we are a technological society that is entirely dependent on the advancements science has brought to us, that is facing a new series of challenges that will require new science to overcome. The Assemblies of God churches are not going to come up with anything to help with global warming, alternative energy, new medicine, new reproductive technologies, new discoveries, new ideas. Science is our tool to help people, yet the Republican party only sees it as a kind of armament factory to help them kill strangers in foreign lands. As
, "why is it that the people who claim to adhere to the culture of life are so filled with hate for…people?"