Science Forums

Problems with Palin

Theory5

Does anyone here ever read or quote anything from conservative sources?

All I ever see here is questionable information from liberal activists. Does truth only emanate from liberal lips? This site seems to have the same ideology as the Daily Kos. Maybe there is a lack of conservative input because they are at work taking care of their families and earning money.

I look for balance, but I don't see it. All over the internet I'm looking for defensible conservative positions, but all I can see is a rabble of "Stepford Republicans" pushing easily-disprovable lies and spin.

If you know of a reputable conservative source, please do share some of the information from it.

Does anyone here ever read or quote anything from conservative sources?

All I ever see here is questionable information from liberal activists. Does truth only emanate from liberal lips? This site seems to have the same ideology as the Daily Kos. Maybe there is a lack of conservative input because they are at work taking care of their families and earning money.

No of course not. I mean I'm sure you think that George Will is a commie, Taliban-hugging, bleeding heart....

I suppose the McCain campaign's hope is that when there's a big crisis, people will go for age and experience. The question is, who in this crisis looked more presidential, calm and un-flustered? It wasn't John McCain who, as usual, substituting vehemence for coherence, said 'let's fire somebody.' And picked one of the most experienced and conservative people in the administration, Chris Cox, and for no apparent reason... It was un-presidential behavior by a presidential candidate.

Or that "Liberal-With-a-Capital-L" Karl Rove:

[John McCain has] gone, in some of his ads ... one step too far, and sort of attributing to Obama things that are, you know, beyond the 100 percent truth test.

Oh too tired to go on. No really, I do watch Faux Noise regularly because its almost as funny as The Colbert Report...

If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State, :phones:

Buffy

I'm embarrassed to say that the Katie Couric interview is the first I've seen Palin talk - or at least, saying something that wasn't a prepared statement. So... she can't talk. Did anybody notice?

YouTube - Palin / Couric: The Israel Question http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8Km8L3FBWI

She can't put one word in front of another and figure out which word comes next like people do when they communicate. She's not quite up to the standards of forming a complete sentence. ;)

~modest

Almost forgot... her foreign policy experience is that Putin flew over her state on several occasions (in an airplane... it would seem). How do you not crack up laughing if you're Katie Couric listing to that? I mean, Katie asks a perfectly normal question: 'what is your foreign policy experience, have you met any foreign leaders?'... and Palin answers some kind of LSD-induced string of words that involves Putin in an airplane flying over her state! I mean, come on! I was really expecting Katie to just slap her across the face at that point. Send her home. Give her a bus ticket home. There's some notion she can field dress a moose? That's good - she should hold on to that skill set, just in case this new talking thing doesn't work out for her. :)

She can't put one word in front of another and figure out which word comes next like people do when they communicate. She's not quite up to the standards of forming a complete sentence.

I saw some of that interview and noticed Sarah's cadence, effort, and technique strongly reminded me of that infamous answer by the South Carolina beauty queen.

It also reminded me of the kind of BS-ing that sophomores think they can get away with, with their professors,

...if I remember correctly. :mickmouse:

Coached with a bunch of phrases, and under pressure, it should not have been a surprising or unexpected (if even still unblinkingly confident) response.

Yet I was surprised. I had expected her to be a quicker study, than she apparently is.

I'm not American, when it comes to US politics I do not have a preferance. I have values that would be considered left leaning, and values that would be considered right leaning. Ask me where, or what I am politically, and I will, with a straight face, declare that I am a fascist. Largely though, it is said with tongue in cheek, and is primarily because I enjoy the reaction to that answer. I do, however, think that there are aspects of fascism that have crept into modern politics in democratic states. Right now I'm solely thinking about Britain and the US.

The point is, when it comes to left vs right, in the US, I have no bias. I think a lot of it is smokescreen, and politics for some reason or another has devolved into which 'side' can tell the most convincing lies. I also think that because of certain things I have said, that both parties in the US have somewhat lost their way in recent times, political beliefs have become blurred, moreso with the republicans than the democrats.

I think Sarah Palin was a bad choice. I don't think she has the knowledge or the understanding, and from the three recent interviews that I have seen with her, this has been horribly exposed. I think her pick as VP was to take some of the attention off of McCain, and some of the intellectual failings that he has. Unfortunately the republicans overestimated Sarah Palins ability to do this, and they are now begining to realise that once the furore surrounding her pick has died down, and all the distracting nonsense about her family and so on, the media will (as they have begun to do) start analysing her and realise that she just doesn't have what it takes. 'God' forbid, this woman could become the most powerful person on the planet (hypothetically). From what I have seen of her, that is one hell of a scary thought.

I think Sarah Palin was a bad choice. I don't think she has the knowledge or the understanding, and from the three recent interviews that I have seen with her, this has been horribly exposed. I think her pick as VP was to take some of the attention off of McCain, and some of the intellectual failings that he has. Unfortunately the republicans overestimated Sarah Palins ability to do this, and they are now beggining to realise that once the furore surrounding her pick has died down, and all the distracting nonsense about her family and so on, the media will (as they have begun to do) start analyising her and realise that she just doesn't have what it takes. 'God' forbid, this woman could become the most powerful person on the planet (hypothetically). From what I have seen of her, that is one hell of a scary thought.

One interesting thing about an American election is the attention it receives from abroad. I wish Americans were as observant of their own politics as appears other society around the world and to honest with the perspective in your post. It ranks well above observations seen from Americans on this forum, pro/con any issue, IMO.

Up front, I am Republican and consider myself conservative speaking from those angles...

McCain, became the nominee of his party purely on the National Security Issue, with a touch of cleaning up or reforming the Federal Government, then based on spending and maintaining the Bush Tax Cuts. His credentials on both are well recorded...As for the Parties base however, he has had little acceptance as a Republican and certainly not considered conservative. He could have picked a number of people for VP that would come close, that he could most certainly work with and many would consider viable President's that could take over the day needed, considering his age/health. I won't go through the list, but each held baggage and one factor, they had lost in the primaries. Any of those potential VP picks he could have made would have had no less media scrutiny than Palin and the fact she received so much and from so many angles, tells me she was the correct pick. Then she did exactly what needed, at the RNC Convention and continuing to today regardless what you hear.

hen she did exactly what needed, at the RNC Convention and continuing to today regardless what you hear.

So what exactly was needed? Blundering on simple questions? A lack of understanding of foreign affairs? Or the economy? An ability to spout off sound bites instead of actual ideas?

McCain is better than this - he has good ideas, with sound reasoning (even if I disagree with him sometimes). There are any number of people he could have chosen who would have been better for the country. Instead, it looks like he chose someone who is better for the election.

.....Any of those potential VP picks he could have made would have had no less media scrutiny than Palin and the fact she received so much and from so many angles, tells me she was the correct pick. Then she did exactly what needed, at the RNC Convention and continuing to today regardless what you hear.

So it appears from your comments above that you believe the value of a Vice Presidential running mate selection is more in their ability to grab media attention and win the support of a voting base than someone who is genuinely qualified to assume the position of President of the United States should it become necessary. Is that correct?

If so, do you think that mentality is representitive of McCain's "Country First" slogan?

To me this is more indicative of a "politics first" mentality, and is what has led to such irresponsible and poor leadership qualities in our elected officials.

From CNN, Fareed Zakaria is a very respected international policy annalist and academic.

Editor's note: Fareed Zakaria is a foreign affairs analyst who hosts "Fareed Zakaria: GPS" on CNN at 1 p.m. ET Sundays.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- In a column appearing in Newsweek, world affairs expert and author Fareed Zakaria said he thinks it would be best for Republican presidential hopeful John McCain if Gov. Sarah Palin bowed out as his vice presidential running mate.

Fareed Zakaria

"For him to choose Sarah Palin to be his running mate is fundamentally irresponsible," says Zakaria.

Zakaria says McCain did not put the country first in making his V.P. choice, and he says Palin is not qualified to lead the United States.

CNN spoke to him about his commentary titled, "Palin is ready? Please."

CNN: What did you initially think when Sarah Palin was announced as the Republican vice presidential nominee?

Zakaria: I was a bit surprised -- as I think most people were. But I was willing to give her a chance. And I thought her speech at the convention was clever and funny. But once she began answering questions about economics and foreign policy, it became clear that she has simply never thought about these subjects before and is dangerously ignorant and unprepared for the job of vice president, let alone president. Video Watch Zakaria slam Sarah Palin »

CNN: You don't think she is qualified?

Zakaria: No. Gov. Palin has been given a set of talking points by campaign advisers, simple ideological mantras that she repeats and repeats as long as she can. But if forced off those rehearsed lines, what she has to say is often, quite frankly -- nonsense. Just listen to her response to Katie Couric's question about the bailout. It's gibberish -- an emptying out of catchphrases about economics that have nothing to do with the question or the topic. It's scary to think that this person could be running the country.

Here is their exchange:

Katie Couric: Why isn't it better, Gov. Palin, to spend $700 billion helping middle-class families who are struggling with health care, housing, gas and groceries; allow them to spend more and put more money into the economy instead of helping these big financial institutions that played a role in creating this mess?

Gov. Sarah Palin: That's why I say I, like every American I'm speaking with, we're ill about this position that we have been put in where it is the taxpayers looking to bail out. But ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health-care reform that is needed to help shore up our economy, helping the -- it's got to be all about job creation, too, shoring up our economy and putting it back on the right track. So health-care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions and tax relief for Americans. And trade, we've got to see trade as opportunity, not as a competitive, scary thing. But one in five jobs being created in the trade sector today, we've got to look at that as more opportunity. All those things under the umbrella of job creation. This bailout is a part of that.

CNN: But Dan Quayle wasn't very qualified and that didn't seem to matter, did it?

Zakaria: This is way beyond Dan Quayle. Quayle was a lightweight who was prone to scramble his words, or say things that sounded weird, but you almost always knew what he meant. One of his most famous miscues was to the United Negro College Fund when he said, "What a terrible thing to have lost one's mind. Or not to have a mind at all." Now he was trying to play off a famous ad that the group used to run, "A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste." And he screwed it up in a funny way. But read Gov. Palin's answers and it does appear that she doesn't have any understanding about the topic under discussion.

CNN: But she has a lot of supporters.

Zakaria: Look, I'm not saying that she is not a feisty, charismatic politician who has done some good things in Alaska. It is just we are talking about a person who should be ready to lead the United States at a moment's notice. She has never spent a day thinking about any important national or international issue, and this is a hell of a time to start.

advertisement

CNN: Does it make you concerned about Sen. McCain as a president?

Zakaria: Yes, and I say this with sadness because I greatly admire John McCain, a man of intelligence, honor and enormous personal and political courage. However, for him to choose Sara Palin to be his running mate is fundamentally irresponsible. He did not put the country first with this decision. Whether it is appropriate or not, considering Sen. McCain's age most people expected to have a vice presidential candidate who would be ready to step in at a moment's notice. The actuarial odds of that happening are significant, something like a one-in-five chance.

From CNN, Fareed Zakaria is a very respected international policy annalist and academic.

What about this one: Reflections on Sarah Palin’s Qualifications To Be Vice President By Gary Corseri

By Gary Corseri

featured writer

Dandelion Salad

Sept 12' date=' 2008

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ad nauseum. …

(Gary Corseri has posted/published his work at hundreds of venues, including Dandelion Salad, Thomas Paine’s Corner, The New York Times. He has taught in universities and prisons, published novels and poetry collections, performed at the Carter Presidential Library; and his dramas have been presented on Atlanta-PBS, etc. [/quote']

lol

Actually, on a more serious note, I found this too:

Giuliani: Palin More Qualified Than Obama

(CBS) Speaking on Face The Nation Sunday' date=' former New York City mayor [b']Rudy Giuliani[/b] said that Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, who was announced Friday as presumptive GOP nominee John McCain’s running mate, is more qualified to be president than Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“You know why? She had to make decisions,” Giuliani told Face The Nation anchor Bob Schieffer. “All Senator Obama has had to do is talk. That's all he does.”

Palin, who is 44 years old, has been the governor of Alaska for less than two years. Previously, she served two terms as mayor of the town of Wasilla, Alaska, whose population in 2000 was 5,470.

Citing her executive experience, the Republican National Convention keynote speaker called Palin “somebody of accomplishment” because “she's vetoed legislation, she's taken on corruption, and in her party, and won. She took on the oil companies and won. She administered a budget successfully.”

He also said Obama “is the least experienced candidate for president in the last 100 years."

“I mean, he's never run a city, he's never run a state, he's never run a business, he's never administered a payroll, he's never led people in crisis,” Giuliani said.

Sen. Joe Lieberman, an independent who caucuses with Democrats but supports McCain, told Schieffer that McCain’s decision to add Palin to the ticket “is a little bit like opening a door and letting some fresh Alaska air into Washington.

“I think here he wanted to send the message, get somebody fresh, somebody really who represents the other America outside of Washington where people don't care whether you have an 'R' or a 'D' after your name, they just want you to get something done to help them deal with the problems they have,” Lieberman said. “And Sarah Palin comes from that other America.”

Carly Fiorina, a senior McCain advisor, called Palin “a person of great accomplishment” and suggested she excites women because she is “a woman trying to balance her work life and her family life, not to mention her incredible track record of reform and taking on, as she said, the good old boy network.”

Fiorina said Palin’s anti-abortion rights position would not keep former Hillary Clinton supporters from backing a McCain-Palin ticket.

“I think, frankly, the Democratic Party has done a disservice to women by trying to hold women hostage to the issue of Roe v. Wade,” she said. “The truth is the most important issue to women, all the polls say this, is the economy. Women are not single issue voters. Yes, there are some women for whom the issue of reproductive rights trumps everything else. But the truth is most women are not that way.”

Also appearing on Face The Nation, New York Times columnist David Brooks suggested McCain chose Palin to shift the focus from Obama to his ticket.

“You can see why McCain took her,” he said. “She risked her political career to take on the special interests in her own party, she took on the oil companies. She's like McCain. McCain wants to change this campaign from change to, from left to right, he wants to make it, 'I'm going to clean out the stables.'

My bold...

So what exactly was needed? Blundering on simple questions? A lack of understanding of foreign affairs? Or the economy? An ability to spout off sound bites instead of actual ideas?

McCain is better than this - he has good ideas, with sound reasoning (even if I disagree with him sometimes). There are any number of people he could have chosen who would have been better for the country. Instead, it looks like he chose someone who is better for the election.

Palin, as McCain's VP pick must support the ideas of him, not those of herself.

I seriously doubt she favors a good many of them, including the so called 'Bail our' and trying to do right for the party is trying to double talk, not a quality found in conservatives of either party.

McCain, is better only than Obama IMO. He is running his own campaign, taking no advise on a path to a second self destruction. HE DID NOT PICK PALIN (I wish I knew who did) and would have preferred any number of others, probably a like minded moderate or bordering liberal. Palin saved his chances for a win, is being deliberately held back and is showing up as inept.