Science Forums

Problems with Palin

Theory5

I hope everybody has seen this because it's pretty spot on as far as impersonations go: Tina Fey as Sarah Palin

I saw it and Tina Fey not only looked so much like her it was scary but her mannerisms and over silliness quotient was spot on as well. I know women, and men too for that matter, like Palin from when I was active in PTA and school affairs when my sons were in school. They are scary, they think they not only know what best for everyone but it's their duty to make sure every one follows what they think is correct. Often they are repressed and secretly about as weird as snake suspenders but in their public life they are prim and proper and adamant about telling everyone what they can and cannot do. Little tin plated dictators, nothing more.

You know this is coming...Obama is that person??? Or McCain (5th from lowest grade average in a Military School) or was Washington (no formal education) or any leader that came from the Military, Grant, Eisenhower or Teddy Roosevelt, who was a small town mayor going directly to the oval office, forgetting VP...You don't like Clinton, but he was exactly what you say is ideal.

Maybe you misunderstood me. Clinton, in my opinion, was a great President, and a lousy person. I don't want a President to be elected based on likability, but rather on the chances that he or she will be a good leader.

I don't know how Palin will govern, its certainly going to be under the restrictions of the 'Executive Branch' as VP and P if she make that jump.

This administration not only vastly expanded the powers of the executive branch, but even argued that the VP is not a member of the executive branch, but of the legislative branch.

What I do know is she has an 80% approval rating for those she has governed and above any current rating. She walks the walk, talks the talk in life and this alone is authentic realism. To me a President is as much an inspirational leader for ALL the people, more so than a diplomat or politician. At least thats how we vote. Bush has been a VERY good leader IMO, having pulled this country through more than one (could have been) catastrophic problems and maintained a rather robust economical system through it all.

Our economy is crashing, though I don't know enough to know whether this administration can be blamed. Bush's approval ratings are at an incredible low, especially for a wartime president. His rating is similar to Nixon's, hovering around 24%. Palin's approval rating is at roughly 80% (though it has dropped a bit since the 'troopergate' scandal, it remains very high). But, keep in mind this is alaska, with a population of only 683,478. I live in a state where we have counties with more people than that.

Some more info on Palin that I just found that makes me a bit worried about how well she would handle herself on the international stage:

Palin's responses on radio talk show very unbecoming: Comment | adn.com

Forwarded from the internet

interesting...

I'm a little confused. Let me see if I have this straight.....

If you grow up in Hawaii, raised by your grandparents,

you're "exotic, different."

Grow up in Alaska eating mooseburgers, a quintessential

American story.

If your name is Barack you're a radical, unpatriotic

Muslim.

Name your kids Willow, Trig and Track, you're a

maverick.

Graduate from Harvard law School and you are unstable.

Attend 5 different small colleges before graduating,

you're well grounded.

If you spend 3 years as a brilliant community organizer,

become the first black President of the Harvard Law Review,

create a voter registration drive that registers 150,000 new

voters, spend 12 years as a Constitutional Law professor,

spend 8 years as a State Senator representing a district

with over 750,000 people, become chairman of the state

Senate's Health and Human Services committee, spend 4

years in the United States Senate representing a state of 13

million people while sponsoring 131 bills and serving on the

Foreign Affairs, Environment and Public Works and

Veteran's Affairs committees, you don't have any

real leadership experience.

If your total resume is: local weather girl, 4 years on

the city council and 6 years as the mayor of a town with

less than 7,000 people, 20 months as the governor of a state

with only 650,000 people, then you're qualified to

become the country's second highest ranking executive.

If you have been married to the same woman for 19 years

while raising 2 beautiful daughters, all within Protestant

churches, you're not a real Christian.

If you cheated on your first wife with a rich heiress,

and left your disfigured wife and married the heiress the

next month, you're a Christian.

If you teach teach children about sexual predators, you

are irresponsible and eroding the fiber of society.

If, while governor, you staunchly advocate abstinence

only, with no other option in sex education in your

state's school system while your unwed teen daughter

ends up pregnant, you're very responsible.

If your wife is a Harvard graduate laywer who gave up a

position in a prestigious law firm to work for the

betterment of her inner city community, then gave that up to

raise a family, your family's values don't represent

America 's.

If you're husband is nicknamed "First

Dude", with at least one DWI conviction and no college

education, who didn't register to vote until age 25 and

once was a member of a group that hates America and

advocated the secession of Alaska from the USA, your family

is extremely admirable.

OK, much clearer now.

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.

And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh."

(Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche)

CC

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to say that what she did was justified.

For those of you who did not read the article, here's basically what happened:

Palin went on a radio show with some rather uncouth hosts (think Don Imus, or Howard Stern). On this show, one of her opponents in the Alaskan Senate was repeatedly referred to as a "*****", among other insulting terms. Rather than admonish these men for insulting a respected member of the Senate, she laughed along with them. Not only did she remain on the show with them, but she indicated that it would be her honor to have them visit her again.

Now, this is only a minor gaff in Alaska. Honestly, NJ has had some worse gaffs with politicians. But what happens when it's not an Alaskan Senator who is being insulted publically, but the leaders of Russia, Pakistan, Iran, Palistine...This story serves only to highlight her inexperiance and her danger as a diplomat. These next 4 years will be incredibly difficult diplomatically, as the US tries to rebuild its strength politically, and that involves bring the world back on our side, not showing them that we're cowboys who will do whatever we want because we have the big guns.

By permission from the internet....

This is Your Nation on White Privilege

By Tim Wise 9/13/08

For those who still can't grasp the concept of white privilege, or who are looking for some easy-to-understand examples of it, perhaps this list will help.

White privilege is when you can get pregnant at seventeen like Bristol Palin and everyone is quick to insist that your life and that of your family is a personal matter, and that no one has a right to judge you or your parents, because "every family has challenges," even as black and

Latino families with similar "challenges" are regularly typified as irresponsible, pathological and arbiters of social decay.

White privilege is when you can call yourself a "****in' redneck," like Bristol Palin's boyfriend does, and talk about how if anyone messes with you, you'll "kick their ****in' ***," and talk about how you like to "shoot ****" for fun, and still be viewed as a responsible, all-American

boy (and a great son-in-law to be) rather than a thug.

White privilege is when you can attend four different colleges in six years like Sarah Palin did (one of which you basically failed out of, then returned to after making up some coursework at a community college), and no one questions your intelligence or commitment to achievement, whereas a person of color who did this would be viewed as unfit for college, and probably someone who only got in in the first place because of affirmative action.

White privilege is when you can claim that being mayor of a town smaller than most medium-sized colleges, and then Governor of a state with about the same number of people as the lower fifth of the island of Manhattan, makes you ready to potentially be president, and people don't all piss on themselves with laughter, while being a black U.S. Senator, two-term

state Senator, and constitutional law scholar, means you're "untested."

White privilege is being able to say that you support the words "under God" in the pledge of allegiance because "if it was good enough for the founding fathers, it's good enough for me," and not be immediately disqualified from holding office--since, after all, the pledge was

written in the late 1800s and the "under God" part wasn't added until the 1950s--while believing that reading accused criminals and terrorists their rights (because, ya know, the Constitution, which you used to teach at a prestigious law school requires it), is a dangerous and silly

idea only supported by mushy liberals.

White privilege is being able to be a gun enthusiast and not make people immediately scared of you.

White privilege is being able to have a husband who was a member of an extremist political party that wants your state to secede from the Union, and whose motto is "Alaska first," and no one questions your patriotism or that of your family, while if you're black and your spouse

merely fails to come to a 9/11 memorial so she can be home with her kids on the first day of school, people immediately think she's being disrespectful.

White privilege is being able to make fun of community organizers and the work they do--like, among other things, fight for the right of women to vote, or for civil rights, or the 8-hour workday, or an end to child labor--and people think you're being pithy and tough, but if you merely question the experience of a small town mayor and 18-month governor with

no foreign policy expertise beyond a class she took in college and the fact that she lives close to Russia--you're somehow being mean, or even sexist.

White privilege is being able to convince white women who don't even agree with you on any substantive issue to vote for you and your running mate anyway, because suddenly your presence on the ticket has inspired confidence in these same white women, and made them give your party a "second look."

White privilege is being able to fire people who didn't support your political campaigns and not be accused of abusing your power or being a typical politician who engages in favoritism, while being black and merely knowing some folks from the old-line political machines in

Chicago means you must be corrupt.

White privilege is when you can take nearly twenty-four hours to get to a hospital after beginning to leak amniotic fluid, and still be viewed as a great mom whose commitment to her children is unquestionable, and whose "next door neighbor" qualities make her ready to be VP, while if you're a black candidate for president and you let your children be

interviewed for a few seconds on TV, you're irresponsibly exploiting them.

White privilege is being able to give a 36 minute speech in which you talk about lipstick and make fun of your opponent, while laying out no substantive policy positions on any issue at all, and still manage to be considered a legitimate candidate, while a black person who gives an hour speech the week before, in which he lays out specific policy proposals on several issues, is still criticized for being too vague about what he would do if elected.

White privilege is being able to attend churches over the years whose pastors say that people who voted for John Kerry or merely criticize George W. Bush are going to hell, and that the U.S. is an explicitly Christian nation and the job of Christians is to bring Christian

theological principles into government, and who bring in speakers who say the conflict in the Middle East is God's punishment on Jews for rejecting Jesus, and everyone can still think you're just a good church-going Christian, but if you're black and friends with a black

pastor who has noted (as have Colin Powell and the U.S. Department of Defense) that terrorist attacks are often the result of U.S. foreign policy and who talks about the history of racism and its effect on black people, you're an extremist who probably hates America.

White privilege is not knowing what the Bush Doctrine is when asked by a reporter, and then people get angry at the reporter for asking you such a "trick question," while being black and merely refusing to give one-word answers to the queries of Bill O'Reilly means you're dodging

the question, or trying to seem overly intellectual and nuanced.

White privilege is being able to go to a prestigious prep school, then to Yale and then Harvard Business school, and yet, still be seen as just an average guy (George W. Bush) while being black, going to a prestigious prep school, then Occidental College, then Columbia, and

then to Harvard Law, makes you "uppity," and a snob who probably looks down on regular folks.

White privilege is being able to graduate near the bottom of your college class (McCain), or graduate with a C average from Yale (W.) and that's OK, and you're cut out to be president, but if you're black and you graduate near the top of your class from Harvard Law, you can't be

trusted to make good decisions in office.

White privilege is being able to dump your first wife after she's disfigured in a car crash so you can take up with a multi-millionaire beauty queen (who you go on to call the c-word in public) and still be thought of as a man of strong family values, while if you're black and married for nearly twenty years to the same woman, your family is viewed as un-American and your gestures of affection for each other are called "terrorist fist bumps."

White privilege is being able to sing a song about bombing Iran and still be viewed as a sober and rational statesman, with the maturity to be president, while being black and suggesting that the U.S. should speak with other nations, even when we have disagreements with them,

makes you "dangerously naive and immature."

White privilege is being able to claim your experience as a POW has anything at all to do with your fitness for president, while being black and experiencing racism and an absent father is apparently among the "lesser adversities" faced by other politicians, as Sarah Palin

explained in her convention speech.

And finally, white privilege is the only thing that could possibly allow someone to become president when he has voted with George W. Bush 90 percent of the time, even as unemployment is skyrocketing, people are losing their homes, inflation is rising, and the U.S. is increasingly isolated from world opinion, just because white voters aren't sure about

that whole "change" thing. Ya know, it's just too vague and ill-defined, unlike, say, four more years of the same, which is very concrete and certain.

White privilege is, in short, the problem.

A ten minute documentary about Palin's church, Wassilla Assembly of God, emerged on youtube recently, spread virally, and was soon removed for inappropriate content(at 160,000 views.

Talk To Action | Reclaiming Citizenship, History, and Faith

'YouTube Removes Viral Video on Palin's Churches For Inappropriate Content' by Crooks and Liars - RichardDawkins.net

This video makes her church look much more crazy than the others I have seen. The video exposes the following nutrageous nonsense: "third floor portal to God", anointing cell phones, and the "Worship and Warfare Conference"(from sep 22 to 24 2008!!! :naughty: who wants to do a hypo field trip to Alaska!!) . There is also the typical crazy tongue babbling, healing, and crying.

I can't help but feel ashamed and a bit unnerved by the fact that someone from this group could be considered to be qualified to lead the country by so many Americans.

See my quote on the bottom of page 18, on the Obama versus McCain thread. I see the same danger of McCain dying in office or having to retire on ill health and the dire consequences for the country because of somebody who wants to make a name for themselves (act tough): Once the troops pull out of Iraq, Iran will be next, if she has anything to do with it and then the nuclear '----' will hit the fan!

I got sidetracked earlier today when I heard this one quote, from Sarah Palin's interview with Charlie Gibson, about what she had NOT said; and I just had to try and write it down.

....Then I thought I'd share it, along with a few other quotes; and add a little commentary.... This looks as good a place as any....

...although I think that book banning rumor was overblown, I don't doubt that she dreams....

Palinear Talk Express

Charles Gibson asks:

Do you still believe that global warming is not manmade?

"I believe that man's activities certainly can be contributing to the issue of global- -warming climate change. Regardless of that, John McCain and I agree that we gotta do something about it.... all we can to cut down on pollution."

Is she saying that man's activities contribute to the issue (the controversy) of climate change... or to the change itself? ...I ask rhetorically.

Charles Gibson presses Sarah: "But it's a critical point as to whether or not this ["changes in our climate"] is manmade...." or later "...a critical point as to whether it's manmade. He [McCain] says it is; you [Palin] have said, in the past, it is not."

"....because what you do about it, depends on whether it's manmade." Palin asnwers:

"That's why I'm attributing some of man's activities to potentially causing some of the changes in the climate right now."

Gibson trys to put words in her mouth: "....Call me a cynic, but... it sounds to me like you're adapting your position to that of Senator McCain's.

"I think you are a cynic [Charlie] because show me where I have ever said there is absolute proof that nothing that man has ever conducted or engaged in has had any effect, or no effect, on climate change.

I have NOT said that!

I have said that my belief is there is a cyclical nature of our planet; warming trends, cooling trends...."

From the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner (Dec.4,'07) Palin is quoted, describing herself as:

"I'm not an Al Gore, doom-and-gloom environmentalist, blaming the changes in our climate on human activity."

===

What amazing consistency and deftness....

When Charlie asks her about her current position, she answers him by referring to her past comments (and past non-comments).

....Good dodge; but earlier she at least had said:

"That's why I'm attributing some of man's activities to potentially causing some of the changes in the climate right now." -S.Palin

...some, ...potentially, ...some, ...now?

===

I think maybe the phrase "...right now" isn't describing climate change; but rather refers to her qualified attribution, positioning herself, right now, as more amenable to McCain's platform.

...but her "belief" remains clear....

~ ;)

I got sidetracked earlier today when I heard this one quote, from Sarah Palin's interview with Charlie Gibson, about what she had NOT said; and I just had to try and write it down.

....Then I thought I'd share it, along with a few other quotes; and add a little commentary.... This looks as good a place as any....

...although I think that book banning rumor was overblown, I don't doubt that she dreams....

Palinear Talk Express

Charles Gibson asks:

Do you still believe that global warming is not manmade?

"I believe that man's activities certainly can be contributing to the issue of global- -warming climate change. Regardless of that, John McCain and I agree that we gotta do something about it.... all we can to cut down on pollution."

Is she saying that man's activities contribute to the issue (the controversy) of climate change... or to the change itself? ...I ask rhetorically.

Charles Gibson presses Sarah: "But it's a critical point as to whether or not this ["changes in our climate"] is manmade...." or later "...a critical point as to whether it's manmade. He [McCain] says it is; you [Palin] have said, in the past, it is not."

"....because what you do about it, depends on whether it's manmade." Palin asnwers:

"That's why I'm attributing some of man's activities to potentially causing some of the changes in the climate right now."

Gibson trys to put words in her mouth: "....Call me a cynic, but... it sounds to me like you're adapting your position to that of Senator McCain's.

"I think you are a cynic [Charlie] because show me where I have ever said there is absolute proof that nothing that man has ever conducted or engaged in has had any effect, or no effect, on climate change.

I have NOT said that!

I have said that my belief is there is a cyclical nature of our planet; warming trends, cooling trends...."

From the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner (Dec.4,'07) Palin is quoted, describing herself as:

"I'm not an Al Gore, doom-and-gloom environmentalist, blaming the changes in our climate on human activity."

===

What amazing consistency and deftness....

When Charlie asks her about her current position, she answers him by referring to her past comments (and past non-comments).

....Good dodge; but earlier she at least had said:

"That's why I'm attributing some of man's activities to potentially causing some of the changes in the climate right now." -S.Palin

...some, ...potentially, ...some, ...now?

===

I think maybe the phrase "...right now" isn't describing climate change; but rather refers to her qualified attribution, positioning herself, right now, as more amenable to McCain's platform.

...but her "belief" remains clear....

~ ;)

You had better be careful questioning Palin's beliefs, you'll be branded unpatriotic and a traitor!

YouTube - Sarah Palin's Pastor Problems! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-_h2OU8RAQ

A Pastor Muthee of Palin's Wasilla church gained his reputation by demonizing a fortune-telling villager in Kenya. This anathema culminated in her house being raided by local police, a snake in the home being shot under suspicion of demonhood, and the woman being drove from her village.

This pastor has boasted about his "witch hunt" at the Wasilla Assembly of God in Alaska since Palin began getting ready for her Campaign with McCain. In a video released on the internet, Palin also gave credit to pastor Muthee in June earlier this year for praying that she would succeed in her campaign. The church has also boasted about the "witch hunt" carried out by the pastor.

"Spiritual Warfare" is a regular practice at Wasilla, an effort to pray crime statistics away and such.

We just got done with G Bush, who admitted part of his foreign policy was telepathically consulting God, and now we may have to deal with a "spiritual warfare" waging, "Warfare & Worship Confrence" going, rapture-ready, global-warming questioning, creationist supporting wack-a-loon handling our budget and bombs.

Come on America, wake up.

EDIT-also, new Sam Harris article ripping into Palin:

Newsweek- In Defense Of Elitism by Sam Harris

[...]

The point to be lamented is not that Sarah Palin comes from outside Washington, or that she has glimpsed so little of the earth's surface (she didn't have a passport until last year), or that she's never met a foreign head of state. The point is that she comes to us, seeking the second most important job in the world, without any intellectual training relevant to the challenges and responsibilities that await her. There is nothing to suggest that she even sees a role for careful analysis or a deep understanding of world events when it comes to deciding the fate of a nation. In her interview with Gibson, Palin managed to turn a joke about seeing Russia from her window into a straight-faced claim that Alaska's geographical proximity to Russia gave her some essential foreign-policy experience. Palin may be a perfectly wonderful person, a loving mother and a great American success story—but she is a beauty queen/sports reporter who stumbled into small-town politics, and who is now on the verge of stumbling into, or upon, world history.

Bad news from the key, chad-hanging state of Florida:

Five weeks ago, the St. Petersburg Times convened a group of Tampa Bay voters who were undecided about the presidential election. Their strong distrust of Barack Obama suggested it was a group ripe for John McCain to win over.

Not anymore. The group has swung dramatically, if unenthusiastically, toward Democrat Obama. Most of them this week cited the same reason: Sarah Palin.

"The one thing that frightens me more than anything else are the ideologues. We've seen too many," said 80-year-old Air Force veteran Donn Spegal, a lifelong Republican from St. Petersburg, who sees McCain's new running mate as the kind of "wedge issue" social conservative that has made him disenchanted with his party.

"She is Dick Cheney with a dress on," [said] Bill Chever, [an] Independent Air Force veteran.

Oh its scary if you think she's the "game changer." Click the link above for more....

(h/t The Huffington Post)

Some luck lies in not getting what you thought you wanted but getting what you have, which once you have got it you may be smart enough to see is what you would have wanted had you known, :shrug:

Buffy

Does anyone here ever read or quote anything from conservative sources?

All I ever see here is questionable information from liberal activists. Does truth only emanate from liberal lips? This site seems to have the same ideology as the Daily Kos. Maybe there is a lack of conservative input because they are at work taking care of their families and earning money.

Does anyone here ever read or quote anything from conservative sources?

All I ever see here is questionable information from liberal activists. Does truth only emanate from liberal lips? This site seems to have the same ideology as the Daily Kos. Maybe there is a lack of conservative input because they are at work taking care of their families and earning money.

This was mentioned by John Haidt in the media posted over in this thread. Most scientists happen to be liberal, and I'm guessing that goes for most of the science-minded readers here on Hypo as well(a number of whom are also scientists themselves). It might be interesting to start a poll on this if there isn't one already.

I was actually hoping one of our resident conservatives such as yourself could comment on the religious nutjobbery exhibited by Palin/her congregation in my previous post. I'm curious as to whether or not you are made uncomfortable by the fact that Palin goes to a church where people speak in tongues, anoint cel-phones, pride themselves on obviously mistaken and cruel witch-hunts, and believe their state will soon be a haven for refugees during a coming end-time. This is all quite crazy, and it seems reckless(and just silly) to arm a person who comes from such a tribe.