Science Forums

Problems with Palin

Theory5

Sadly none of the people who support Palin will care about any of this stuff, she is all flash and no substance and that is exactly what the McCain campaign wants.
Sure. The whole meme about attracting Hillary voters was for the press, because the McCain team knew that the Main Stream Media (MSM) would lap it up and run with it as "brilliant." The real reason for picking her was to shore up the social-conservative base *only*, who the McCain team has been sure are so apathetic about McCain's weak "family-values" credentials that even they wouldn't show up in November. The choice actually is quite smart in that respect, and I can't fault their logic!

On the other hand, the above hopefully *should* have an impact on the independents that the McCain copycat theme of "Change" is directed at. Large numbers of these folks are undecided, and at the moment there's much consternation about the fact that staying "On Message" about these points that have been proven false again and again may not matter because the Democrats simply have not been very good at not just responding but also not going on the attack. The McCain folks are pretty sure that this is working:

Why not lie when you can get away with it? Heck only the traitorous liberal blogs are keeping track of how many times the Bridge to Nowhere Lie has been repeated, and the MSM won't say a word about it in the interests of avoiding being called The Liberal Media again by Rush Limbaugh being fair!

...well, at least as of today...(h/t thinkprogress.com)

I bet $50 to a donut she couldn't field dress a rabbit, much less a moose.
Now that *is* sexist! Stop providing evidence that the McCain noise campaign is right! ;)

Contrary to what the politicians and religious leaders would like us to believe, the world won't be made safer by creating barriers between people, :girlneener:

Buffy

Sure. The whole meme about attracting Hillary voters was for the press, because the McCain team knew that the Main Stream Media (MSM) would lap it up and run with it as "brilliant." The real reason for picking her was to shore up the social-conservative base *only*, who the McCain team has been sure are so apathetic about McCain's weak "family-values" credentials that even they wouldn't show up in November. The choice actually is quite smart in that respect, and I can't fault their logic!

On the other hand, the above hopefully *should* have an impact on the independents that the McCain copycat theme of "Change" is directed at. Large numbers of these folks are undecided, and at the moment there's much consternation about the fact that staying "On Message" about these points that have been proven false again and again may not matter because the Democrats simply have not been very good at not just responding but also not going on the attack. The McCain folks are pretty sure that this is working:

Why not lie when you can get away with it? Heck only the traitorous liberal blogs are keeping track of how many times the Bridge to Nowhere Lie has been repeated, and the MSM won't say a word about it in the interests of avoiding being called The Liberal Media again by Rush Limbaugh being fair!

...well, at least as of today...(h/t thinkprogress.com)

Now that *is* sexist! Stop providing evidence that the McCain noise campaign is right! ;)

Contrary to what the politicians and religious leaders would like us to believe, the world won't be made safer by creating barriers between people, :girlneener:

Buffy

Nothing sexist about it, I've field dressed a deer, it's damn hard to do, I did when I was young, I could lift 200 lbs over my head easy then but field dressing a deer after a day of hunting, climbing over hills and tree trunks it taxed me greatly to dress and bring in that deer. I had to drag it up the side of a mountain and down into the next ravine. I've also killed cows and pigs and dressed them out as well, it is not an easy job and yes women can do it but not bullshit fakers like Palin. Just because she reasonably easy to look at people are willing to believe anything that's said about her, she doesn't have the look of someone who can kill and cut up an animal much less one in the wild after a day of hard hunting. She's soft, she is a bulls**t artist, I'd call bulls**t on her in a heart beat. she might be cast iron hard mentally but she doesn't have the right stuff to do all the *crap* that is told about her. I can see her participating in dressing moose, at a make shift camp with a couple of big guys to help her out but by herself like the reports would have you believe? Bullshit, a moose can weigh as much a 1000 pounds, a deer maybe 200 pounds, Mine weighed 125, From then on I went back to the farm and got a few friends to come out and help, I'm quite certain she did too.

Nothing sexist about it, I've field dressed a deer, it's damn hard to do...
Yes it is sexist! So what if its hard to do!

Never having met her or seen her in real life you make it quite clear that you are saying you don't believe solely because she's a woman, and that's *sexism* pal! Sure she's a bulls**t artist too, but stop and think: if it was a male bulls**t artist saying this, would you even bother to think about it? No, because sure, he might be lying, but its at least *possible* if you don't know how strong he is. On the other hand, if its a woman you immediately jump on it as "impossible!"

This is the *real* question though: why you *want* to spend *any* time on this issue at all? Do you realize by even saying this that the folks that favor McCain will jump all over it screaming "See! Those Liberals are all Hypocritical Sexists!" most importantly, to the exclusion of any discussion of topics that actually matter.

Shame on you for being such a sucker and falling into their trap of deception and misdirection! This is *exactly* what the McCain folks *want* you to do!

If you want McCain to win, keep saying stuff like "she couldn't possibly field dress a moose!"

Women are like teabags. We don't know our true strength until we are in hot water! ;)

Buffy

Yes it is sexist! So what if its hard to do!

Never having met her or seen her in real life you make it quite clear that you are saying you don't believe solely because she's a woman, and that's *sexism* pal! Sure she's a bullshit artist too, but stop and think: if it was a male bullshit artist saying this, would you even bother to think about it? No, because sure, he might be lying, but its at least *possible* if you don't know how strong he is. On the other hand, if its a woman you immediately jump on it as "impossible!"

This is the *real* question though: why you *want* to spend *any* time on this issue at all? Do you realize by even saying this that the folks that favor McCain will jump all over it screaming "See! Those Liberals are all Hypocritical Sexists!" most importantly, to the exclusion of any discussion of topics that actually matter.

Shame on you for being such a sucker and falling into their trap of deception and misdirection! This is *exactly* what the McCain folks *want* you to do!

If you want McCain to win, keep saying stuff like "she couldn't possibly field dress a moose!"

Women are like teabags. We don't know our true strength until we are in hot water! ;)

Buffy

You still miss the point, the mental image of saying she can field dress a moose is not the reality. 90% of the people who heard that statement immediately had the image of Palin stalking through the woods with her trusty rifle and hunting knife carving up a dead 1000 pound moose all by her lonesome. BS, BS, BS, many of the men probably saw her doing that in leather hi heel boots wearing a buckskin mini skirt but leaving those perverts aside :girlneener: no one does that. Of course that's exactly what they wanted you to see in your minds eye but thats not how it works, maybe the incredible hulk could do that, but pan back to the dead moose, with a dozen pick up trucks sitting around it, Hot coffee being passed around, plenty of heat and food, wenches hauling the moose up so it can be cut up easily and several people, Palin included, cutting up the dead animal with specialized tools, that is how it's done, is that what you saw in your minds eye when you heard that statement? If it was then you are a hunter or at least familiar with hunting but most of the people, women and men, are not hunters and have no idea of the reality of the situation. They saw the lone individual fighting against the odds and savage nature probably with snow blowing around her cutting up that dead moose and dragging it home for dinner. "bullshit" I have no doubt Palin can shoot and kill a moose, anyone, man or woman can learn to shoot and kill something, it's the image that's bullshit. Personally I don't think she has the *** to do it anyway, but I do know lots of women who are as good or better than men at both hunting and fishing but they are not stupid enough to think that Palin or any one else Kills and dresses out a moose by themselves. Not in this day and age and not in her economic bracket for sure.

As Palin as a member of the PTA, Mayor of a small town was acting and doing exactly what every person on any School Board, or parent in any small town is or should be obligated to do.

So you agree with banning books, and censoring information which doesnt agree with you or your religion? Is that what every person on a school board should do? Censor information so kids learn only what you want them to learn? Brainwash them so they only do what you want them to do? Only think what you want them to think?

Another thing I heard about palin was that she said and I quote "If its good enough for our founding fathers, its good enough for us" when she was talking about the Pledge Of Alliegence. Can you belive that? It was written MUCH later ( the actual year escapes me..) and the part about "under God" was added in 1950 when we were afraid of becoming communist-like.

You still miss the point, the mental image of saying she can field dress a moose is not the reality. 90% of the people who heard that statement immediately had the image of Palin stalking through the woods with her trusty rifle and hunting knife carving up a dead 1000 pound moose all by her lonesome. BS, BS, BS, many of the men probably saw her doing that in leather hi heel boots wearing a buckskin mini skirt but leaving those perverts aside :) no one does that. Of course that's exactly what they wanted you to see in your minds eye but thats not how it works, maybe the incredible hulk could do that, but pan back to the dead moose, with a dozen pick up trucks sitting around it, Hot coffee being passed around, plenty of heat and food, wenches hauling the moose up so it can be cut up easily and several people, Palin included, cutting up the dead animal with specialized tools, that is how it's done, is that what you saw in your minds eye when you heard that statement? If it was then you are a hunter or at least familiar with hunting but most of the people, women and men, are not hunters and have no idea of the reality of the situation. They saw the lone individual fighting against the odds and savage nature probably with snow blowing around her cutting up that dead moose and dragging it home for dinner. "bullshit" I have no doubt Palin can shoot and kill a moose, anyone, man or woman can learn to shoot and kill something, it's the image that's bullshit. Personally I don't think she has the *** to do it anyway, but I do know lots of women who are as good or better than men at both hunting and fishing but they are not stupid enough to think that Palin or any one else Kills and dresses out a moose by themselves. Not in this day and age and not in her economic bracket for sure.

Field dress a moose:

How To Field Dress Moose

:)

So you agree with banning books, and censoring information which doesnt agree with you or your religion? Is that what every person on a school board should do? Censor information so kids learn only what you want them to learn? Brainwash them so they only do what you want them to do? Only think what you want them to think?

Another thing I heard about palin was that she said and I quote "If its good enough for our founding fathers, its good enough for us" when she was talking about the Pledge Of Alliegence. Can you belive that? It was written MUCH later ( the actual year escapes me..) and the part about "under God" was added in 1950 when we were afraid of becoming communist-like.

My opinion, for those in some small Alaskan town is not the issue. Personally I would have allowed 'Harry Potter' books into the library, but then I also enjoy many TV and Movie presentations as entertainment. Would you allow Playboy, Playgirl or Hustler into your school library?

The founders 'Pledged' their life, liberty, families and fortunes, after reaching an agreement on the 'Declaration of Independence' (1776), some of them lost all. Oaths and pledges have been part of this country and which came first, probably predates those founders, as I recall mentioned in the legends of the Pilgrims, before leaving Europe.

Theory, its obvious you simply don't like Ms. Palin and I can only think its what she represents to many Americans. You picking on some really minor points and are looking for anything to tarnish this acceptance. If its political or you favor the Democratic Nominee, Presidential or VP, thats fine and part of the game. If you like I'll argue back with as many or more minor problems I have with Biden or Obama. Why not go after McCain, he is the candidate we will be voting for or against.

We just suffered through 8 years of a President with no foreign relations experience. I don't want to put our country, or indeed the world, through that again. John McCain would be a good President, and had he chosen his VP more wisely, I would have had more difficulty voting against him, but with Palin as the second in command, the choice is clear - Obama/Biden '08.

Moon; I spent a couple years in Alaska, pre statehood and a couple years in Newfoundland, both about the same lifestyle. Even today its about as frontier as any western movie you have ever seen, especially outside the two metropolitan areas. Think the History Channel has been showing several series on Ice Truckers and some related subjects, based on today. Its no picnic and there not all men.

In my mind, I can picture THIS lady doing exactly what ever she says, even the acceptance of McCain's offer to run for VP, establishes in my mind a person ready to take on whatever is needed. Starting out in a fishing business or simply surviving winters, is not that easy and probably many of the women or men for that matter are not what you will find in the lower 48.

As for field dressing a moose, its not that hard. Hauling it may have been difficult w/o a dog sled, for any man or woman. Picture what you want, but I can picture this PERSON, doing most anything she wants, including leading the US...as I could Ms. Clinton.

My opinion, for those in some small Alaskan town is not the issue. Personally I would have allowed 'Harry Potter' books into the library, but then I also enjoy many TV and Movie presentations as entertainment. Would you allow Playboy, Playgirl or Hustler into your school library?

You are trying to confuse the issue, I didn't see Playboy or Playgirl, or Hustler be proposed for inclusion or censoring. The books listed were almost all books considered part of popular as well as classic literature. All those books are found in most if not all libraries across the country. Palin was trying to force her own religious and political agenda on the population with out any input from the population. I think this is one of the things the Republicans are hot about in this country pertaining to Judges passing judgements as laws. Palins attempt to censor the library is the same thing.

The founders 'Pledged' their life, liberty, families and fortunes, after reaching an agreement on the 'Declaration of Independence' (1776), some of them lost all. Oaths and pledges have been part of this country and which came first, probably predates those founders, as I recall mentioned in the legends of the Pilgrims, before leaving Europe.

Again that is not the point this is just another showing of Palin ignorance of the big picture. She specifically said the pledge of allegiance, she was totally ignorant of it's origin and tried to use it totally out of context with reality. Just like she had no idea of what the Bush doctrine was when she was interviewed by Charlie Gibson on ABC news. She is supposed to know what is going on but she can't even convincingly fake it.

Theory, its obvious you simply don't like Ms. Palin and I can only think its what she represents to many Americans. You picking on some really minor points and are looking for anything to tarnish this acceptance. If its political or you favor the Democratic Nominee, Presidential or VP, thats fine and part of the game. If you like I'll argue back with as many or more minor problems I have with Biden or Obama. Why not go after McCain, he is the candidate we will be voting for or against.

Liking her has nothing to do with it, as a matter of fact she is rather likable in the persona she has shown so far but liking someone isn't a reason for her to be vice president. I don't have to like or even want to like my politicians I just want them to be able to do a good job and knowing which end is up is a big part of being able to do that job.

We just suffered through 8 years of a President with no foreign relations experience. I don't want to put our country, or indeed the world, through that again. John McCain would be a good President, and had he chosen his VP more wisely, I would have had more difficulty voting against him, but with Palin as the second in command, the choice is clear - Obama/Biden '08.

Are you suggesting Bush had no access to advisor's on foreign policy. Do you really want the list???

McCain, could have picked Romney and faced problems with a Mormon connection, Lieberman with another liberal connection or any of the losers he actually beat or any number of other women, frankly Dole (having trouble holding her seat in NC) or Hutchison (another Texan) would have been my suggestions, but for some yet known reason chose an everyday, authentic woman. In doing so, he has turned what should have been a very close race into a probable victory, regenerated a dieing conservative movement and offered a possible coat tail effect for maintaining current congressional counts or even gaining a few seats. I don't think any of this would have been possible if he had chose "wisely" (???), or how/why any person considering McCain, would now go against this new grain and vote for Obama...

chose an everyday, authentic woman.

Here's part of the problem. I know average people. I'm friends with many average people. I do NOT want an average person running the nation. I want the best. I want someone who is head and shoulders above the rest. I want somebody who studied at a great school, or served in a governing body for a long time.

I like Palin. She seems like someone who is a good friend, or might be amusing at a dinner party. That doesn't mean that I think she'd be a good President (which, in my opinion, is an important qualification for a Vice President).

I don't like Bill Clinton. I wouldn't want him in my house, and I think that he's sleazy. But I think that he was a good President in many respect.

Being a good person or an average person doesn't qualify you for being a good leader. Being a good leader does.

Here's part of the problem. I know average people. I'm friends with many average people. I do NOT want an average person running the nation. I want the best. I want someone who is head and shoulders above the rest. I want somebody who studied at a great school, or served in a governing body for a long time.

You know this is coming...Obama is that person??? Or McCain (5th from lowest grade average in a Military School) or was Washington (no formal education) or any leader that came from the Military, Grant, Eisenhower or Teddy Roosevelt, who was a small town mayor going directly to the oval office, forgetting VP...You don't like Clinton, but he was exactly what you say is ideal.

On Clinton, I don't think he gave a hoot to become President nor do I feel he mattered, all that much. However he was and is admired by European leaders, very much for the same reasons Franklin was in the 1700's. Ms. Clinton, said she would make him a International Ambassador, which I think is a very good idea, who ever is elected.

As I said, Roosevelt had the same qualification, young, inexperience, small town mayor and no foreign policy experience. Then became the cornerstone for government reform in his day and those that followed.

I don't know how Palin will govern, its certainly going to be under the restrictions of the 'Executive Branch' as VP and P if she make that jump. What I do know is she has an 80% approval rating for those she has governed and above any current rating. She walks the walk, talks the talk in life and this alone is authentic realism. To me a President is as much an inspirational leader for ALL the people, more so than a diplomat or politician. At least thats how we vote. Bush has been a VERY good leader IMO, having pulled this country through more than one (could have been) catastrophic problems and maintained a rather robust economical system through it all.

I think media in all its new form, will be no less generous to any President and Historian's will be counted on more than ever for the truth in decisions and results/legacy of an Administration.

I don't mean to sound all new age-ish and what not, but does anybody else sink a little bit in their chair when they hear politicians and analysts sound off about "average Americans." What does that even mean?

I'm extending the original meaning a bit, but Edward Said's theory of Orientalism explains that all discourse is inherently ideological and that the victor, the one with the power, writes the ideals (among other things). I like to think that I, myself, write the ideals I believe and I choose my candidate based on those beliefs that I hold. Hearing talk of and agreeing with the label of "average Americans" only reinforces the power relationship where those so called citizens really have no power.

Now, I say all this a bit tongue-in-cheek, because I know I have some power (i.e. voting, etc). I guess I just want to hear a candidate say "I want this for America" rather than "the average American wants this and that...".

This is not written in support of Sarah Palin who for several reasons is believed to be "one of the people"; I don't want an "average" person to be Pres or VP, either. I'm voting Democratic. It's just what I think.

Moon;

Actually, many magazines are available in Public Libraries around the country considered porn by many. Access is restricted however and mentioned as an exaggeration to make a point. I don't classify 'Harry Potter' books as satanic or whatever the complaints in many school districts were, but they are banned in many and not in Alaska.

Gaff's, stupidity and ignorance have different meanings. I don't think Obama in saying "57 States" really meant the 57 Islamic States, but his education was in 'Constitutional Law' and this requires a knowledge in AMERICAN History and he is from the one state that made it 50, Hawaii. There are many additional gaff's related to history or law he has made and is said to have graduated number one in his class at Harvard. I see the relationship, between the Pledge of the founders (basic US history 101), that of the Flag Day addition of the Methodist Pledge 1897, the addition of 'in god we trust' 1954 (and not to keep from communism) in the mind of many people.

I am not promoting her likability, she is a remarkable person IMO and from what little I know of her. She has done what probably no person has EVER done in this countries political history. It was predictable, not necessarily from her, but she was picked and has become that person. IMO, there has been a real torch passed, whether its for the best or not, I am not going to predict or what the possibilities or consequences might be. Its up to her, her family and the American people.