Science Forums

Using marijuana as medicine, worth the risk?

Ganoderma

Very long story short, my wifes uncle has cancer in his esophagus.

basically the doctors keep saying you have days, weeks, months....it changes every checkup, but its always bad. He is in a TON of pain, cant swallow and has not eaten in about 5 months....anything....even medicine they put through tubes now. but he is mobile, he goes out every few hours for that smoke (stupid).

the problem is here.....he is a proud, working type man, and is not used to any help. and his meds don't do a whole lot so he is often curled up in bed in huge pain, all day.

very very sad to see, especially seeing him before and after this, yikes.

in this country marijuana is considered a "bad drug", and there are some serious penalties (long jail terms, probably like the USA). medical marijuana is not allowed here, yet.

I know a couple people who grow this plant and i was thinking, with his permission of course, just putting some in his smokes.

what do you guys think about this? is the risk worth it? if it is to truly help out someone who is in serious pain and going to die very soon, do you think the law would be softer if something happened?

in a way it seems criminal to let this kind of pain continue, its also criminal to try and help with pot....which seems criminal to me.

my thoughts were, it *may* help with the pain....it may help with his appetite and make it at least bearable to get something, even liquid, down his throat. it makes your saliva thick and pasty, which would be good for him so he wouldnt keep spitting up and filling cups all day (gross!), it may also help him sleep, which is difficult with this pain, and lastly i think it may help his attitude/mood....cause right now he doesn't care if he lives or dies.

just curious what others think? worth the risk? i think so, but i am not in jail right now, so its easy to say it wont happen :turtle:

you dont say what country your in. Here in Australia possessing the small amounts of marajuhuana that he would need is likely to get no more than a warning or a fine. It really depends where you are and how severe the penalty is. Here I would definatly give it to him. I know that lots of cancer patients here use it even though it isn't legal

Very long story short, my wifes uncle has cancer in his esophagus.

basically the doctors keep saying you have days, weeks, months....it changes every checkup, but its always bad. He is in a TON of pain, cant swallow and has not eaten in about 5 months....anything....even medicine they put through tubes now. but he is mobile, he goes out every few hours for that smoke (stupid).

the problem is here.....he is a proud, working type man, and is not used to any help. and his meds don't do a whole lot so he is often curled up in bed in huge pain, all day.

very very sad to see, especially seeing him before and after this, yikes.

in this country marijuana is considered a "bad drug", and there are some serious penalties (long jail terms, probably like the USA). medical marijuana is not allowed here, yet.

I know a couple people who grow this plant and i was thinking, with his permission of course, just putting some in his smokes.

what do you guys think about this? is the risk worth it? if it is to truly help out someone who is in serious pain and going to die very soon, do you think the law would be softer if something happened?

in a way it seems criminal to let this kind of pain continue, its also criminal to try and help with pot....which seems criminal to me.

my thoughts were, it *may* help with the pain....it may help with his appetite and make it at least bearable to get something, even liquid, down his throat. it makes your saliva thick and pasty, which would be good for him so he wouldnt keep spitting up and filling cups all day (gross!), it may also help him sleep, which is difficult with this pain, and lastly i think it may help his attitude/mood....cause right now he doesn't care if he lives or dies.

just curious what others think? worth the risk? i think so, but i am not in jail right now, so its easy to say it wont happen ;)

while i'm not sure that smoking it (considering the physical condition he is in) is the best method for him to take this medicine, i think the effects of proper treatment could prove beneficial. have you considered (hypothetically of course) edible methods of ingestion? cannabis butter, brownies, pasta, cookies, etc..

to be completely honest, i couldn't cite specific studies other than anecdotal evidence, but from what i have seen, marijuana has proved helpful and successful for more than one cancer patient, several insomniacs, and has helped numerous people in my life with depression.

however, it is also possible to experience adverse reactions, and if paranoia or depression occur (as they truly can), consider further alternatives.

let me know if this advice is helpful.

i'm happy to share more information if you consider it a helpful insight.

more is better :singer:

i certainly considered orally, cause its easier to hide. the problem is if the hospital and his own family cant get him to eat his other medications, or even saliva, there is not much chance of this going down. the odd time he actually does get something down his throat, he pukes it up.

i dont like the idea of smoking it either, but he is already smoking tobacco (thats probably the cause of his cancer), so i jsut thought it may be easy to mix a few cigs and hope the stink isn't too bad.

you bring up a good point with depression and such....he is already pretty depressed...so this may turn out to be a bad idea, hard to tell without trying.

It's sad Gand, but the laws is unlikely to be lenient on you because he has cancer. If you lived in the US I could tell you what the penalty would be. For small amounts the first time is not all that bad unless it impacts your job or some other part of your life controlled by the government or your employer. I won't bore you with any arguments about right and wrong you just have to decide if it's worth the risk in your own individual case. for me here in the US I would do it, misdemeanor possession is not a big deal unless of course it will result in loosing your job or income in some way.