Science Forums

Gensis Ages - Humanely Possible?

Daisy

I've been curious about the ages listed in the Book of Gensis for people mentioned like Noah and Abraham (and even Moses). According to Genesis, these people lived hundreds of years (in some cases almost 1000 years).

I have several questions:

1. Could humans 5000 or 6000 years ago have lived longer than we do today? How do we know what the average life expectancy was for these people?

2. Is it possible in the future for humans to live more than 120 years?

3. Why is it that we age at the rate that we do? I know it is different for each person, but most people do not live past the age of 90. Why is that?

Question 1 is rather speculative. First of all you need to believe in the Old Testament to buy into the ages given. However, there will not be a second of all because if you do believe in it no scientific proof will ever matter to you (except if it can prove that there has ever been people who became almost a thousand years old). In JRR Tolkien's books elves can live forever.

Here's a gift for you - I think you'll love this web site:

The Biblical Ages of the Patriarchs

I suggest you try out all the creationist issues with that site first.

Question 2 and 3 are easier to answer:

2) People already live to be 120. You can even find lists of people on the web. As for what the future brings...here is a rather technical speech on the future of aging

3) Aging is not specific to people - it is something we see in every living being. People age differently because they react to the environment in which they live, and the genes they are born with. Here's a good link on aging: Why Are We Allowed to Age?

• 2 months later...

the thing about the bible is that most of the events are metaphorical in nature. this is espescially true when dealing with prophecy. the book of genesis is no different. when genesis refers to individuals it is really refering to an era in human history and, days and years are also related in a similar fasion refering to epochs rather than the number of times the earth has revolved or orbited the sun. this is a much easier way of relating history by the writers of old than giving a play-by-play account of the history of man. to convert the book of genesis into the complete account of each individual in the period that genesis takes place would require volumes of books too numerous to count.

also this makes the bible more relevant to peoples of all eras. any other way would become irrelevant to peoples of succeeding generations and not stand the test of time, as it has for so long now.

• 2 months later...

I dont believe it matters how old we live as long as we age well. If we look at the elderly of the western world, if you sit on your backside in the lap of luxury you will live longer (especially here in England where the rich/poor divide is growing again)

When travelling China the poor were still going shopping for groceries every day well into their 90s

The elderly of the west are placed in care-homes and many are left in a vegetative state in their 70s

All this goes back to the alchemists-----

The west wanted to turn base metal into gold (and we still live this money-grabbing life-style)

The east wanted long and healthy lives and formed Chi Kung

I have a friend who has practiced Chi Kung and Tai Chi for many years. He is 78 yrs old and 58kgs.

he throws my 75kg- 28 year old body all over the place!

THIS IS WHAT WE SHOULD AIM FOR ----- a HEALTHY old age