Science Forums

Contemplative thought

Queso

I don't really know what forum division to put this one into, so I thought I'd bring it up to all my pals in the lounge. :D

Sometimes people will experience the act of "thinking the exact same thing."

Probably coincidence triggered by an action that they both observed, or heard, or smelt, or something that brought back a similiar memory in the outside world.

BUT, I was thinking.......

what if neurons had this "blast radius"

for example, if I was next to Jim-bob, and a neuron fired off in my head that brought back a memory...

if he had the exact same memory, what if my neuron sparked jim-bob's neuron?

ehhhh, just a contemplative thought. SHOW ME THE TRUTH! :D :)

wow, i just had that exact same thought...!

no, i didn't. i'm just kidding.

seriously, the whole "thinking the exact same thing" or even worse "saying the exact same thing" (which earns you a PUNCH or a JINX in my house) is usually do to a shared memory. I don't know about the whole 'blast radius" idea, but it sounds interesting. i've done a little bit of study in this area recently, and can't seem to find anything that actually suggests this, but I'm not sure that it's been formally looked into either. Maybe you should do a test or two?

Of course, you and Jim-bob would have to share some similar memories, and that's not always a good thing when dealing with people with two names... other than that, if you shared the memories, then how could you tell if it was your neurons that sparked Jim-bob's reaction, and not Jim-Bob's memories that sparked yours?

Maybe it's just that when you voiced your thoughts, Jim-bob jumped on the bandwagon and said he was thinking the same thing. or Maybe, you were both thinking the same thing because your thought patters are very similar, and the trigger caused both of your brains to start running off in the same direction...

or maybe...

i should finish my taxes and come back here later... :)

taxes...I ay ay!

I havn't experienced that yet, but pretty soon I'll be waving my childhood goodbye, formally, because the government says that's what happens when you're 18.

Although, I will never grow old at heart.

I admire people like Adam Sandler.

I also love how when you're in the lounge, the topic can change at the drop of a hat...or something startling, like the drop of a shot glass. :)

I also love how when you're in the lounge, the topic can change at the drop of a hat...or something startling, like the drop of a shot glass.

Dropped shot glass, you say? Now THAT is a party foul, if I remember correctly. Doesn't that automatically incur a penalty? Or is that only if you also manage to spill some alcohol (which, as a minor, you wouldn't have anyway, right?)...

I guess it all depends... fine fine, let me change my quote to..............

"drop of the hat"

I wanted to move way from that old, boring, saying, and replace it with something "hip"

Ok ok....I got one.

"drop of the drunk guy"

I guess that thud could change somebodies convorsation.

OK Orb, you said: "what if neurons had this "blast radius"

for example, if I was next to Jim-bob, and a neuron fired off in my head that brought back a memory...

if he had the exact same memory, what if my neuron sparked jim-bob's neuron?

ehhhh, just a contemplative thought. SHOW ME THE TRUTH!"

It seems we can invoke the zero point field here; strum the strings of string theory as it were. We know from physics too, instaneous action at a distance; why not invoke all those curled up extra dimensions to account for your blast zone? You don't even need to be in Jim-Bob's vicinity! Nothing is disconnected Orb. Hi to all your friends & have you showed them into the Katabatak Cave? Drop of a K-function. :(

• 3 weeks later...

___Ahhh the Lounge! I left a cooler in one of these closets...BRB...cool filtered agua...mmm. Anyway, I sneaked off in here to decompress a little. These last few weeks here at Hypography have my head spinning like... well , something that spins. So much to learn, & grow accustomed to in addition to the subject matter. I've never been so happy to be so sick. One cool thing here is the people, ie the social dynamic. The way things go off in directions you neither intended nor anticipated. Also the anonymity, especially not having to deal with looks or body language & all that. I hate that stuff. Not having to find an excuse to not listen or leave a conversation; having the ability to listen to a conversation like a fly on the wall. Knowing the people here want to be here talking about this stuff & it's people around the entire world & not just your drunken buddy or study hall chum. I notice the way things change everytime a new member comes in & how strange it is I've been here long enough to notice. I like how this place cuts through the muffin & gets to the berries. Guten nacht. :confused:

good night, i'm the only one awake in hypography, the only one awake in the house, probably the only one awake on my street, can't say that about my neighborhood, no way, so that excludes the city, the state, the world. of course, i don't know what led me to this movie-like fade out...but i think it has something to do with the fact that every night i can never get myself to go to bed.

2 will turn to 6,

and night will turn to day,

before i even realize,

time will waste away.

the reclused quatrain hidden at large.

Midnight here & a very active day. I have a new thread idea for experimenters but just toooo tiirrred now. (think laminar flow) Can't see the mountain at night, so i want to get up for the first news from crews they will send out. (St Helens I'm talking about just to clarify). I feel the shaking better at night, well except for the 2+ shocks; those make me sick to the stomach no matter what time of day or night. Well. since that last period i just stared for 2 minutes, so guten nacht alles . vielen dank :Alien: