Science Forums

Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin

Racoon

Like Obama stated earlier..

You don't hear a word about "the Economy" from the Republicans.

Why?

Becuz' they screwed it up.

I heard McCaine say he was going to cut taxes, government and government spending.

But they all say that.

Was this reported at his pres. nomination acceptance?

AS MANY as 10,000 protesters marched on the opening day of a scaled-back Republican National Convention, adding to the challenges faced by the party as Hurricane Gustav struck land.

Most of the demonstrators were anti-war protesters and were peaceful, but trouble flared when fringe groups turned violent. Some smashed windows, slashed car tyres and threw bottles. One bus carrying delegates to the convention had its tyres flattened but was able to make it to the hall.

The police, who arrested 250 people, used pepper spray and long wooden sticks to subdue some. Several demonstrators said police fired projectiles at them.

McCain's day hit by weather and protest - US Election - smh.com.au

Police fire tear gas as protesters attempt to disrupt the 2008 Republican National Convention.

I heard McCaine say he was going to cut taxes, government and government spending.

But they all say that.

More or less. I heard Palin say she suspeneded the fuel tax in Alaska, something McCain (or was it Bush?) was recommending. Anyway, I think that's the money that builds & maintains the roads, which if the Milwaukee bridge collapse is any indication (and it is in many regards) is the last thing we need to underfund. We need taxes, and we need taxes backed by sound economic reasoning. Speaking of mis-spent taxes, who the hell do you think is paying for the Republicans to bail out their banking buddies? That's right; those who can least afford it. How'd it happen? Deregulation. Who wants more deregulation? McCain; he said so last night. :eek2:

Was this reported at his pres. nomination acceptance?

McCain's day hit by weather and protest - US Election - smh.com.au

Police fire tear gas as protesters attempt to disrupt the 2008 Republican National Convention.

I only watched the convention on the PBS channel and they had a live camera in the hall nonstop for 4+ hours. They showed the protestors inside (war protestors from the outside group it appears), but the commentators did not say anything and did not report on the outdoor protest during the convention. They did do a report this evening on it and showed video of the scene in your still shot.

I am not currently watching cable news, only broadcast TV and mostly on the Public Broadcasting station. Smart people and virtually no shouting. Just the facts mam.

The pundits now think McCain has flipped his ever-lovin' mind, and that's even the Republican supporters among them. It's going to be a grueling 2 months. :twocents:

PS Not much commentary yet here on Biden. Just biden our time are we? :doh: :D The smoking light is on. :esmoking:

De-regulation????!! The guy is nuts.

It has nearly bankrupted the USA

We have alot of regulation in place but it has crippled a few companies. (sub prime etc). Much to my surprise. The 'sub prime people' must have been good salesmen/women.

Who has the most foreign reserves?

a) USA

:twocents: China

C) Lichtenstein

d ) Bahamas.

You can 100;1 bet it is not USA

PS

journalists in Oz are under attack (by Murdock?) and have been decimated. Some long term highly respected columnists have been summarily fired

Thank GOD for the ABC!

:eek2: It is doddery old women. They constitute a major 'block' supporting McCain and they support McCain because they oppose Obama and they oppose Obama because he is black and they don't care that his mom is white because she is white trash for marrying a black man. Plain, and simple. Pushed to testify, some old women admit they're racist and then declare I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am. For all the honor & service I admired in my mother, I despised her racist ways. Shame on you old white women. :esmoking: :twocents:

But once a society reaches a certain threshold, further economic growth brings only minimal gains. Among the richest societies, increases in income are only weakly linked with higher levels of subjective well-being.

While economic growth helps promote happiness for some, democratization and rising social tolerance contribute even more. Democracy provides more choice, which promotes happiness.

Support for gender equality and tolerance of people who are different from oneself are also strongly linked, not just because tolerant people are happier, but because living in a tolerant society enhances everyone's freedom, Inglehart says.

Relates to the new happiness thread

The science of happiness - Los Angeles Times

I felt bad for McCain with the heckling. It was not only unfair to McCain who I've always liked, but it also made Dems look bad.

I occasionally think that Democrats need to be more aggressive at least in campaigning. But, then I see the likes of this week's convention. A big theme that I heard over and over was stressing the differences between "small town" or rural values and the rest of the country.

That really frustrates and disgusts me. What possible good can come from trying to split the country in two and pitting rural against 'city folk'? They do this for the sake of an election with no apparent concern for the unity of the country.

I am exceedingly happy that Obama is not attacking rural America the way the GOP is attacking the character of the Democratic base. His one out-of-context quote about clinging to guns is not an example otherwise. The overall character of Obama's campaign is not to point out differences between groups of people and it would be so easy for the campaign to do this considering Palin's family. Did anyone see the MySpace of the Daughter's boyfiend? :eek2:

I always thought McCain was the sort that wouldn't do the typical Republican 'Vote for me or you hate America' type thing or attack the values of people who disagree with him. But, his whole campaign is taking that tone and it's just - it's so disappointing :twocents:

~modest

According to John Titor, self proclaimed time traveler from our near future this divide will result in a civil war that will spread into a world war and the cities will be nuked! He said this almost a decade ago! :esmoking:

According to John Titor, self proclaimed time traveler from our near future this divide will result in a civil war that will spread into a world war and the cities will be nuked! He said this almost a decade ago! :twocents:

I swear to Thor almighty... I was reminded of the same thing when writing "rural against 'city folk'". :eek2:

And now we have Palin who supported Alaskan separatists, and we all know - that's how civil wars are started. :esmoking:

~modest

I swear to Thor almighty... I was reminded of the same thing when writing "rural against 'city folk'". :eek2:

And now we have Palin who supported Alaskan separatists, and we all know - that's how civil wars are started. :twocents:

~modest

OMT, could this be the beginning of the end? Or the end of the beginning? Or the beginning of the beginning? :esmoking:

OMT, could this be the beginning of the end? Or the end of the beginning? Or the beginning of the beginning? :turtle:

TO ALL YANKS

Get over your apocalypse thing!

When a soothsayer can predict when, and how much, I will win in the lottery;

I WILL believe!

The four horsemen of the apocalypse

This is how the apocalypse could happen

What a scary book! (The dog gives me nightmares!)

News Flash for Obama lovers/ Bush bashers ! Get a dose of reality. You're so busy blaming Bush for all the world's ills, you forget to criticise your own legislative body the US Congress, that has been under liberal control since 2006. What problems have they solved? If they have an answer to the economic recesssion, why haven't they proposed it? If they have a better way to fight global terrorism, why haven't they proposed it? If they have an answer to the failing educational system, why haven't they solved it? After all, the NEA is an arm of the Democrat party. If Obama is elected , we will get a double dose of inflation, uncontrolled spending, and higher taxes. Where has there been any wisdom or fiscal responsibility shown by Harry Byrd, Jack Murtha, Harry Reid or Nancy Pelosi? Bush didn't propose all this pork, he was just stupid enough to let it pass without veto. Whe have the Dem's ever shown good money management and fiscal restraint? Blaming Repubs is easy to do, but you forget that congress is the body that proposes bills. Look at your own party, welfare, entitlements, pork projects, overspending on underachieving schools, failure to deal with social security reform. Do you think Obama and his team will solve these problems? For the studious, read these links:

Government Waste on Parade

News Flash for Obama lovers/ Bush bashers ! Get a dose of reality. You're so busy blaming Bush for all the world's ills, you forget to criticise your own legislative body the US Congress, that has been under liberal control since 2006. What problems have they solved? If they have an answer to the economic recesssion, why haven't they proposed it? If they have a better way to fight global terrorism, why haven't they proposed it? If they have an answer to the failing educational system, why haven't they solved it? After all, the NEA is an arm of the Democrat party. If Obama is elected , we will get a double dose of inflation, uncontrolled spending, and higher taxes. Where has there been any wisdom or fiscal responsibility shown by Harry Byrd, Jack Murtha, Harry Reid or Nancy Pelosi? Bush didn't propose all this pork, he was just stupid enough to let it pass without veto. Whe have the Dem's ever shown good money management and fiscal restraint? Blaming Repubs is easy to do, but you forget that congress is the body that proposes bills. Look at your own party, welfare, entitlements, pork projects, overspending on underachieving schools, failure to deal with social security reform. Do you think Obama and his team will solve these problems? For the studious, read these links:

You expect them to fix six years of lies, stupidity and Bush spending like a drunken sailor in two years? The mess Bush, the Neocons, and Haliburton have made will take decades to fix. get real, two years isn't enough time to fix anything as messed up as the cluster f@#K the neocons and the Bush administration has left us?

Why do you think Clinton had a surplus? Was it due to his economic policies? No. Was it due to his fiscal expertise? NO. It occurred because of the great profits from the tech boom. His whole legacy reduces to the Lewinsky affair. He was a good BS'er, but a mediocre president and a poor role model

If the cons screwed up so badly, why didn't the lib congress try to reverse things in the last two years? How long do they wait to get started? Can you name any problems they have tried to correct? Can you speak to their basic philosophy of government? It seems all they have done is criticise. That's easy, it's tougher when you actually try to DO something. What are they going to do to fix what the Repubs broke?

questor, if you would actually listing to the democrats you would know that they have been telling you to solve these problem by getting involved. We should find something positive to do on the community level. That's the way to change things for the better.

That is the real core strength of the democatic party. that's the rout Oboma took to go into politics, that's the route Carter took after.

To me this a safe way to vote. What do you do to help you're fellow man?

I think everyone should read what questor has linked. looks like the top pork barrel states are infact the repulbican dominated states 2-1 ratio. Alaska being no. #1. :turtle:

I admire Carter for his work with Habitat, although I think giving someone something without them doing something in return is a losing proposition. He would do better teaching birth control. The houses will crumble and the problem will still be there.

You say we should do something in the community. I do.. I pay my taxes, I keep my house and property in very good shape and I take full responsibility for myself and my family. I do not trash the streets or drive too fast. I obey the laws and I treat others with respect as long as they deserve it. I worked my way through graduate school and I read quite a bit. I do not look for handouts or special favors from the government and I have respect for the concept of personal property. I believe that everyone should appreciate and participate in improving every facet of our society. I am convinced that each person should do everthing he can to become the best he can be and our society needs to do the same thing. This is what I do and who I am, you can judge for yourself whether this is good or bad or if society would prosper if everyone had this philosophy.

I admire Carter for his work with Habitat, although I think giving someone something without them doing something in return is a losing proposition. He would do better teaching birth control. The houses will crumble and the problem will still be there.

You say we should do something in the community. I do.. I pay my taxes, I keep my house and property in very good shape and I take full responsibility for myself and my family. I do not trash the streets or drive too fast. I obey the laws and I treat others with respect as long as they deserve it. I worked my way through graduate school and I read quite a bit. I do not look for handouts or special favors from the government and I have respect for the concept of personal property. I believe that everyone should appreciate and participate in improving every facet of our society. I am convinced that each person should do everthing he can to become the best he can be and our society needs to do the same thing. This is what I do and who I am, you can judge for yourself whether this is good or bad or if society would prosper if everyone had this philosophy.

What if you did need help ? Would obvious pride in yourself allow you to ask for it? Would you not deserve respect if you're job was sent over seas.

If you were not born into a family that allowed for an education, but only back breaking work that barely paid the bills.

Born into a family were you were abused or neglected because you come from an economically impoverished area that had few community services.

What do you think leads to poverty ? Sustains poverty.?

You seem to have a lot to say about the poor . Where do you attain this “knowing “ what books do read that explain poverty, origins of it, solutions to it ? How many have gotten out of it? What programs worked. What ones haven’t ?

You are not expressing knowledge here only fear and hate born from the illusion that you belong to higher class. If you had read anything on this subject of poverty you would realize this is the source of poverty around the world. The idea of a class system, some people matter and some don’t, the rich deserve more the poor less.. A marginalizing of people in society. This is what Pallin and you are talking about and it is the root cause of poverty. This is not an opinion but a fact drawn from academics that study the cause and effects of poverty in any society.

Do not ask for who the bell tolls , it tolls for the.

I want to tell one more thing, Do you want to find out about the poor go talk to someone that works in the field of finding work for poor people.

They will educate you about Americans, and how they will time and time again pull themselves up by their bootstraps. If they are only given a chance. Pallin and her ilk will do like they have always done . Kick the latter out from under the poorest, so they can help the rich. Then you and your ilk can have some one to feel superior to. Go mow you lawn and survey your kingdom and be a proud American. :turtle: