Science Forums

Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin

Racoon

Some more from my change jar. :phones:

The loudest and oft-heard huzzah during the 4 1/2 hours I watched the RNC last night was "Drill Baby Drill!" That fights big oil how exactly? :hyper: Solves our fuel problems when & for how long exactly? :naughty: The Mcain energy policy sucks...oil we don't have and money out of our pockets that we can't afford.

The smoking light is on. :)

:phones: Speaking of candidates and college education, looks like Palin is gonna face some tough questions on hers. She attended 5 different schools over 6 years before getting a degree. Seems her vetters didn't bother to even check. :) Can't copy from this link for a quote, but here's the news: >> Politics News - VP hopeful Palin attended 5 colleges in 6 years

from Moveon .org

Talking Points

Palin recently said that the war in Iraq is "God's task." She's even admitted she hasn't thought about the war much—just last year she was quoted saying, "I've been so focused on state government, I haven't really focused much on the war in Iraq."

Palin has actively sought the support of the fringe Alaska Independence Party. Six months ago, Palin told members of the group—who advocate for a vote on secession from the union—to "keep up the good work" and "wished the party luck on what she called its 'inspiring convention.'"

Palin wants to teach creationism in public schools. She hasn't made clear whether she thinks evolution is a fact.4

Palin doesn't believe that humans contribute to global warming. Speaking about climate change, she said, "I'm not one though who would attribute it to being manmade." 5

Palin has close ties to Big Oil. Her inauguration was even sponsored by BP. 6

Palin is extremely anti-choice. She doesn't even support abortion in the case of rape or incest.

Palin opposes comprehensive sex-ed in public schools. She's said she will only support abstinence-only approaches.

As mayor, Palin tried to ban books from the library. Palin asked the library how she might go about banning books because some had inappropriate language in them—shocking the librarian, Mary Ellen Baker. According to Time, "news reports from the time show that Palin had threatened to fire Baker for not giving "full support" to the mayor."

She DID support the Bridge to Nowhere (before she opposed it). Palin claimed that she said "thanks, but no thanks" to the infamous Bridge to Nowhere. But in 2006, Palin supported the project repeatedly, saying that Alaska should take advantage of earmarks "while our congressional delegation is in a strong position to assist."

She has a special needs infant, a 17 year old pregnant daughter and she decides to put her career before all of that, so she can promote family values. Are the republicans completely freaking confused.

If she was what she promotes herself as, those two recent developments should have prompted her core values to kick in, and to say "No thank you Mr. McCain my family needs me right now and they come first.'' Wake up people ! she is a self aggrandizing neo-conservative phony.

She has a special needs infant, a 17 year old pregnant daughter and she decides to put her career before all of that, so she can promote family values. Are the republicans completely freaking confused.

If she was what she promotes herself as, those two recent developments should have prompted her core values to kick in, and to say "No thank you Mr. McCain my family needs me right now and they come first.'' Wake up people ! she is a self aggrandizing neo-conservative phony.

When Palin's tele-promter went down last night, she ad-libbed that the difference between a bit bull and a hockey mom was lipstick. Beyond that I think keeping pets is reprehensible :hyper:, pit bulls are the dogs responsible for more injuries to people than any other breed. As to hockey moms, they burn as much or more fuel than people going to work. Rest assured if anyone criticizes her waste, she'll bite their head off. Oh, and she's under investigation in Alaska for firing an official for personal reasons. I hear Congeress is thinking along similar lines for the Republican executives we have now.

Off now for another 4 hours of the RNC. :naughty: :phones: :)

Just in; That 'just everyday hockey mom' from Alaska, three days into national politics, drew 37 Million households (according to Nielson's) just shy of Obama, the hype and 18 months of campaigning 38 Million...

Republicans don't watch the Democratic Convention because it's propaganda.

Democrats do watch the Republican Convention because they're trying to understand why people think the way they do.

According to CNN, Obama raised $8 million in the last 24 hours since Palin's speech. Apparently, a lot of people thought it was that scary.

Since I am a Republican, I've of course been watching it as closely as Turtle has, and I mostly agree with Racoon's post: its been entirely content free. The only actual *policy* proposal I've heard was in Palin's speech regarding building lots more nuclear power plants. Supposedly McCain will have some policies in his speech tonight, which is about to start.

My main complaint is the constant talk about patriotism and parading all the veterans and talking about their sacrifice. Is there any reason to do this other than to say "if you're not a Republican, you support Islamic Terrorism and surrender!" All this while most of the speeches so far have been talking incessantly about "unity" and "working together."

Which is it? Are non-Republicans demons or are the Republicans going to throw out the Newt Gingrich/Tom Delay/Karl Rove "politics of hate" and actually start *working* with the Democrats?

Oooh POW shots of his video coming up....

Patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels, :smilingsun:

Buffy

:smilingsun::hyper:

You guys do realize of course that when the Neocons finally consolidate their power all the intellectuals will be rounded up and killed don't you? They will probably display this site as evidence of the danger of people who can think.

You've got nothing to worry about Moonman. ZZZZIINGG :doh:;):):D:)

:smilingsun::doh:

You've got nothing to worry about Moonman. ZZZZIINGG :):D;):D:)

No doubt, but I'll let you live under my house if you want to live, I'll let you work in my garden at night to work off your debt to my magnanimous decision to allow you a place to hide :hyper:

No doubt, but I'll let you live under my house if you want to live, I'll let you work in my garden at night to work off your debt to my magnanimous decision to allow you a place to hide :smilingsun:

Ahhh thank you Moonman. I will live! I will write in my diary every night in you're attic wile the neocons goosestep down the street. :hyper:

Republicans don't watch the Democratic Convention because it's propaganda.

Democrats do watch the Republican Convention because they're trying to understand why people think the way they do.

According to CNN, Obama raised $8 million in the last 24 hours since Palin's speech. Apparently, a lot of people thought it was that scary.

Since I am a Republican, I've of course been watching it as closely as Turtle has, and I mostly agree with Racoon's post: its been entirely content free. The only actual *policy* proposal I've heard was in Palin's speech regarding building lots more nuclear power plants. Supposedly McCain will have some policies in his speech tonight, which is about to start.

My main complaint is the constant talk about patriotism and parading all the veterans and talking about their sacrifice. Is there any reason to do this other than to say "if you're not a Republican, you support Islamic Terrorism and surrender!" All this while most of the speeches so far have been talking incessantly about "unity" and "working together."

Which is it? Are non-Republicans demons or are the Republicans going to throw out the Newt Gingrich/Tom Delay/Karl Rove "politics of hate" and actually start *working* with the Democrats?

Oooh POW shots of his video coming up....

Patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels, :hyper:

Buffy

I was going to trim down your quote, but there is nothing but meat in it. :D Scoundrel McCain's speech on the other hand was nothin' but fat. :smilingsun: Your wish for new stuff...rejected.

I saw them throw out a couple protestors tonight & 1 last night. The newsies didn't say a word, just put the camera on them. :) Speaking of stuff I've seen at the convention, McCain's adopted daughter Bridgett doesn't look like a happy child. :D Last night the camera went on her & her siblings when Cindy was yappin', and one of her sisters was forcefully trying to pull her hands out of her lap & make her clap. Then one of her brothers leaned in with a scowl and scolded her. Add to that her unhappy face and weight gain, and I read unhappy child.

The whole night was monumentally underwhelming. ;) :doh:

Buffy; I really don't know where you get your stats from, but people generally watch what interest them on the TV, or read what headlines interest them.

No one person in this country, including you, agree or disagrees with every issue any candidate has ever expressed an opinion or addressed. Conventions are presentations of a party platform and a means to introduce it candidate (s) in the best possible light. For all practical purpose, the Republican Convention was going to be ignored and with the hurricane coverage, could/should have drawn very few viewers. With less coverage (networks) it settled on 40 million tuning in for Governor Palin's address, 38 for Obama and 37 for McCain's actual speeches.

Side-note; This years presidential election was headed for a referendum for or against Obama, for whatever reason and has now turned back to issues and the personalities of both major parties.

I actually agree with you, on the overplay of patriotism in McCains campaign, but then I have heard the story many times. There are many families, which history date back to the American Revolution or have had four generations of continuous military service, frankly until 1972, most all men did serve actively or in the reserves. However Americans are a patriotic bunch and like stories like those of McCain, JFK, Eisenhower, Grant, Teddy Roosevelt and Washington, especially those millions that served or suffered while their husband/wives were serving.

On working with member of the 'loyal opposition'. I know your familiar with the so called 'Founders', the differences in each of those first 13 colonies and the leaderships, interest or concerns of each. Our difference today are dwarfed by those then, yet they came together forming and implementing what exist today and has somehow survived other period of even more complicated differences. McCain, has already worked across the isle, as did Clinton, Bush I, Reagan, Johnson and JFK, each in their own way. Compromise is not a new concept but making it happen seems to have become anti-party. Do you think Delay, Gingrich or Rove oppose compromise or avoid meetings, conversation or social gatherings on party affiliations or some particular issue difference.

What is your understanding of 'Patriotism'. Isn't it or shouldn't it be pride in Country, its people, traditions and/or culture. Its past, present and potential future to the human species. Differences in ideology, party affiliation or to whom ever is currently the leader or leaders should not alter any person pride in country. IMO...

I can't believe you yanks are going to let the Republicans screw you again.

What is it with you and illogical, old, doddery guys?

For those interested I will look out for immigration details for Oz and NZ for those giving up.

Still its nice to know Palin is a Russian expert living so close as she does. (as Mc Cane's wife said)

I live near the hospital. I thought i might run up and do some surgery tomorrow

Buffy; I really don't know where you get your stats from, but people generally watch what interest them on the TV, or read what headlines interest them.

No one person in this country, including you, agree or disagrees with every issue any candidate has ever expressed an opinion or addressed. Conventions are presentations of a party platform and a means to introduce it candidate (s) in the best possible light. For all practical purpose, the Republican Convention was going to be ignored and with the hurricane coverage, could/should have drawn very few viewers. With less coverage (networks) it settled on 40 million tuning in for Governor Palin's address, 38 for Obama and 37 for McCain's actual speeches.

Side-note; This years presidential election was headed for a referendum for or against Obama, for whatever reason and has now turned back to issues and the personalities of both major parties.

I actually agree with you, on the overplay of patriotism in McCains campaign, but then I have heard the story many times. There are many families, which history date back to the American Revolution or have had four generations of continuous military service, frankly until 1972, most all men did serve actively or in the reserves. However Americans are a patriotic bunch and like stories like those of McCain, JFK, Eisenhower, Grant, Teddy Roosevelt and Washington, especially those millions that served or suffered while their husband/wives were serving.

On working with member of the 'loyal opposition'. I know your familiar with the so called 'Founders', the differences in each of those first 13 colonies and the leaderships, interest or concerns of each. Our difference today are dwarfed by those then, yet they came together forming and implementing what exist today and has somehow survived other period of even more complicated differences. McCain, has already worked across the isle, as did Clinton, Bush I, Reagan, Johnson and JFK, each in their own way. Compromise is not a new concept but making it happen seems to have become anti-party. Do you think Delay, Gingrich or Rove oppose compromise or avoid meetings, conversation or social gatherings on party affiliations or some particular issue difference.

What is your understanding of 'Patriotism'. Isn't it or shouldn't it be pride in Country, its people, traditions and/or culture. Its past, present and potential future to the human species. Differences in ideology, party affiliation or to whom ever is currently the leader or leaders should not alter any person pride in country. IMO...

Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.

Herman Goering