Science Forums

Use All the Memory You are Entitled to Have on Windows

why away from debian? if you are happy with ubu, why the urge to move away from it? i run ubu for work desktop and i'm perfectly happy with it, unless you need a high-performance machine, or an enterprise-grade platform, there is no need to move from Ubuntu, and even then, you can always use Ubuntu Server....

"Move away" is not accurate. I meant "expand". Trying different distros, and other OS's. :)

I just convinced one of my windoze clients to convert to Ubu. From what I've seen so far, it is the most user friendly/windoze-user-adaptable distro of linux. Since 9.04, all the wireless issues seem to be worked out. I did a clean install on her machine and the only thing I had to do was update/restart and install flash player. Sound works, video works, and internet works. Good to go. :eek:

Back to the topic, I like keeping tabs on my memory usage. I recommend, for windoze users, the Smart RAM tool that comes with Advanced System Care.

Luckily they have created Physical Address Extension (PAE), and even though on most systems it does not increase support of signifficant amount of memory, it alows you to use the memory you already have, to its fullest :hihi:

Edit the boot up line in C:boot.ini and add /PAE to the line

Don't think it worked. XP Home SP3 with 4G ram (512M shared) but Win has always showed 2.75G

Q2) What is the interaction between /PAE and another flag that MS touts known as /3GB?

I came across this searching for Win/mem stuff.

Originally Posted by Microsoft

PAE X86 and 4GT

4GT is another technology that makes more physical memory available to user applications. PAE X86 and 4GT can be combined to provide applications large amounts of virtual memory and provide a significant performance boost. However, using 4GT reduces the amount of PTEs available to the kernel, while using PAE X86 dramatically increases the amount of memory that must be indexed and translated by the memory manager. This combination will exhaust system kernel space much earlier than normal. Because of this, the memory manager imposes a virtual memory limit of 16 GB on a system with both 4GT and PAE X86 enabled. Even if a system has 32 GB or more of physical memory, if both options are enabled, only 16 GB of memory will be recognized. Thus, if PAE X86 is enabled on a system with more that 16 GB of physical memory, 4GT should not be used.

Note

• Even though the memory manager imposes a hard limit of 16 GB when both 4GT and PAE X86 are enabled, it is possible to encounter problems with lesser amount of memory, such as 8 GB or 12 GB. Therefore, the kernel should be given as much memory as possible.

Don't think it worked. XP Home SP3 with 4G ram (512M shared) but Win has always showed 2.75G

K that's weird... So after messing around a little bit, I notice that everything reads different. BIOS displays the proper 3.6G (4G-512M), System Properties displays 2.75G, and System Information displays 4,096M total physical, 2.00G both available physical and total virtual ...

:)

Plus they all read the same with or without PAE.

:shrug: