Science Forums

Hvd

alxian

seems like fmd will finally see the light of day

i'm wondering what its first incarnation should be...

i've seen in the hype media that the media will be recordable.. so much potential there.

i was thinking since the media holds such limitless potential and essentially will work like RAM given the access time.. sounds like the perfect solution to the age old question of should xbox 2 have a harddrive?

using a single recordable HVD of say 200 gigs inside of an xbox would allow it unparalleled load times storage capacity and reliability (although technically that still a few years off, maybe by xbox 3).

As for the 1 TB disk and even greater sizes later on.. well SHDTV* will choke if has to rely on new nextgen media formats like hddvd (which thanks to hvd will die a slow still born death (it was the lesser of two evils but i'll not shed a tear).

another part of the hype media that was funny was that the backers of hvd said all they needed was more funding.. MS has deep pockets....... and given all the free space that will exist on first round disks they may even be able to perfect a copyprotection system this time around. though residing on the dark side of that debate i can only hope they fail as miserably with it as they did with decss.

*3840x2400/2100 , where UHDTV still won't fit on an hvd (1 TB) but maybe a second or third iteration of the holodisk tech could accomodate the dozens of terabytes required to store a feature uhdtv quality.

looks like MS is about to disappoint a few devoted fans (the pirates...). instead of using any form of nextgen technologies they will continue using dvds? well can't say i'm surprised.

I.e. :( no MS funding. man those guys are cheap....

that leaves hvd a few years before a better use comes along like shdtv (as a replacement for hd-dvd and blu-ray).

any other uses for HVD that can be implemented now (for the pc/home user, enterprise can always benefit from performance boost)

looks like MS is about to disappoint a few devoted fans (the pirates...). instead of using any form of nextgen technologies they will continue using dvds? well can't say i'm surprised.

I.e. no MS funding. man those guys are cheap....

that leaves hvd a few years before a better use comes along like shdtv (as a replacement for hd-dvd and blu-ray).

any other uses for HVD that can be implemented now (for the pc/home user, enterprise can always benefit from performance boost)

Ha ha, what a looser company, seriously, lol... gotta love MS :(

• 3 weeks later...