Science Forums

What is the Future of America?

Here is my point. I think we have enough people in this country. We do not have infinite resouces to feed the world. We do not have enough money to take care of the world's sick and hungry. We are on the verge of becoming a second rate country and we cannot cure our problems by letting more poorly educated and poorly trained people pour across our borders. Just because we have had immigration in the past is no reason to have it now. Times and fortunes have changed. Let people make their own country prosperous, let them fight their wars at home, let them take care of their own, we have been doing it far too long and have received no thanks or cooperation. Do you have time to read up on current events?

T'bird, do you think that with all the religions and cultures now in the US we are all one big, happy family? Do you think that adding a few million more will smooth things out? Do you think a society is better if every one has similar cultural traits or if everyone is different?

What I think about is what I can contribute, how I can smooth things out. How can I make society better. Everyone is different, and also have common traits. This complexity is the driver of society.

Here is my point. I think we have enough people in this country. We do not have infinite resouces to feed the world. We do not have enough money to take care of the world's sick and hungry. We are on the verge of becoming a second rate country and we cannot cure our problems by letting more poorly educated and poorly trained people pour across our borders. Just because we have had immigration in the past is no reason to have it now. Times and fortunes have changed. Let people make their own country prosperous, let them fight their wars at home, let them take care of their own, we have been doing it far too long and have received no thanks or cooperation. Do you have time to read up on current events?

Try studying history, isolationism and paranoia are the precursor of the fall of society. It is a signal of internal decay. Would like to build a wall? Study the great wall of china or Germany. The inside of these wall were in decay, not by invasion mind you but the misguided idea of land belonging to the present deserving generation. You only have what you have because of other’s toil. Again I ask what are you contributing to future generations.

Healing society is an inside job. I say step up. or shut up about someone invading “your” territory I have native American / Jewish/ welsh/ French/ and German ancestry. What part of my ancestry is the part that does not belong to America.

I don't know what history books you read. My information is that most societies fail from the inside. The people get lazy,complacent, and hedonistic and are generally overrun by more agressive enemies.

As far as your heritage,whatever it may be, you are here now, and a member of this society. Are you telling me you want millions more people from any ethnic group overrunning this country? Do you think our country has the resources to harbor any and everyone who wants to come here? Have you read about water shortages, the overcrowded hospitals, the lack of low paying jobs?

Questor, you seem to take the shotgun approach to this.

Zero data, lots statements, and you don't answer most of the responses you get to your questions.

Let's go back to this one of yours:

...universities are overcrowded and prohibitedly expensive.

Do you have any data or statistics to back this up?

Are native born citizens not able to get into universities because immigrants are?

I would appreciate it if you would either back up this statement or retract it. We can then move onto another one of them.

I don't know what history books you read. My information is that most societies fail from the inside.
Thats what I just

said

Thunderbird; Try studying history, isolationism and paranoia are the precursor of the fall of society. It is a signal of internal decay.

The people get lazy,complacent, and hedonistic and are generally overrun by more agressive enemies.

That’s got nothing to do with immigration.

As far as your heritage,whatever it may be, you are here now, and a member of this society. Are you telling me you want millions more people from any ethnic group overrunning this country?

I do not expect you to answer this , since you have not answered any so far but I'll give it a shot.

What ''ethnic group'' Do you want to exclude?

Do you think our country has the resources to harbor any and everyone who wants to come here? Have you read about water shortages, the overcrowded hospitals, the lack of low paying jobs?

The lack of low paying jobs ? what the hell. :agree: Are you having trouble finding work picking fruit. What do you do?

America is changing rapidly. Our ethnic makeup is changing with the influx of foreigners flooding our country legally and illegally. Our cultural traditions are being changed, replaced, or destroyed by those who will not assimilate and are frequently enabled by those who believe this country in its current form should be torn down and rebuilt to be more multi-ethnic and multi-cultural.

...said Chief Sitting Bull to his tribe sometime in the 1700's.

Is this good for America? Is this the future you would pick for your grandchildren?

...asked Chief Sitting Bull's favourite sqauw, Hits With a Rolling Pin, as she stepped out the tipi on that cold, fateful morning.

"No," Chief Sitting Bull replied, "It sucks, dammit."

"Maybe it's not that bad, dear," Hits With a Rolling Pin said. "After all, if you go back through the mists of time, they are our long-lost cousins from far away and long ago."

Chief Sitting Bull scratched his chin. He understood why Hits With a Rolling Pin was his favourite squaw - not only was she unsettlingly accurate with that rolling pin of hers, but she was also wise beyond her years.

"That makes a lot of sense, Pinny, we've got a lot to learn from them, and they from us - we haven't seen each other in almost... what, ten thousand years? We've got a lot of catching up to do!"

"Yes - did you just call me 'Pinny'? You know I hate that."

"Sorry," Chief Sitting Bull said, and lifted his one leg and farted.

it's really simple, you need only to look in history. democracies fail, they always have. when elected officials learn they can vote advantges for themselves, that's the end.

this nation was founded as a republic.

you think things are bad now? it's gonna get alot worse! :embarassed:

...said Chief Sitting Bull to his tribe sometime in the 1700's.

...asked Chief Sitting Bull's favourite sqauw, Hits With a Rolling Pin, as she stepped out the tipi on that cold, fateful morning.

"No," Chief Sitting Bull replied, "It sucks, dammit."

"Maybe it's not that bad, dear," Hits With a Rolling Pin said. "After all, if you go back through the mists of time, they are our long-lost cousins from far away and long ago."

Chief Sitting Bull scratched his chin. He understood why Hits With a Rolling Pin was his favourite squaw - not only was she unsettlingly accurate with that rolling pin of hers, but she was also wise beyond her years.

"That makes a lot of sense, Pinny, we've got a lot to learn from them, and they from us - we haven't seen each other in almost... what, ten thousand years? We've got a lot of catching up to do!"

"Yes - did you just call me 'Pinny'? You know I hate that."

"Sorry," Chief Sitting Bull said, and lifted his one leg and farted.

The irony is this guy’s worried about Mexicans invading his territory, when Mexicans are in fact native Americans. Europeans are the invaders.

The problems of this country are not solved by the people that do nothing and foretell doom and gloom for rest of us. They are merely speaking about their own future.

Greedy self centered people that are afraid that they are going to have something taken away from them. Always talking tough about stopping or controlling other people freedoms and rights and never coming up with any ideas on their own , the mob mentality, following the crowed that can only blame others and never taking responsibility of their own.

If your community is suffering roll up you’re sleeves and do something to help and stop playing the blame game.

Originally Posted by Boerseun

...said Chief Sitting Bull to his tribe sometime in the 1700's

Good post. :embarassed:

Also, humans have always had a penchant for upping sticks and moving to better places. Whether these places are really better, or only perceived to be better, is immaterial - fact is, people move.

We've moved out of Africa, and into Europe, the Middle East, through to the Far East, and eventually over the Bering Strait and down into the Americas.

Problem is, the World is now pretty much tied up in human presence. You can go anywhere you want, and you'll run into people already staying there and laying claim to it as their land.

But that doesn't make the human habit of looking for new horizons go away, however.

Humans have been moving to places they perceive as "better" since time immemorial.

And, regardless of what the more nationalistic members of the species would like to believe, the trend is not going to stop now that we've gone and applied totally artificial barriers in the form of "borders" on the World Map.

We should stop seeing ourselves as "Americans" or "Europeans" or "Mexicans" or "Chinese", and start seeing ourselves as members of "humanity". Then we can tackle the problem of unplanned and uncontrolled migration, which can, quite simply, be boiled down to poverty.

Also, humans have always had a penchant for upping sticks and moving to better places. Whether these places are really better, or only perceived to be better, is immaterial - fact is, people move.

We've moved out of Africa, and into Europe, the Middle East, through to the Far East, and eventually over the Bering Strait and down into the Americas.

Problem is, the World is now pretty much tied up in human presence. You can go anywhere you want, and you'll run into people already staying there and laying claim to it as their land.

But that doesn't make the human habit of looking for new horizons go away, however.

Humans have been moving to places they perceive as "better" since time immemorial.

And, regardless of what the more nationalistic members of the species would like to believe, the trend is not going to stop now that we've gone and applied totally artificial barriers in the form of "borders" on the World Map.

We should stop seeing ourselves as "Americans" or "Europeans" or "Mexicans" or "Chinese", and start seeing ourselves as members of "humanity". Then we can tackle the problem of unplanned and uncontrolled migration, which can, quite simply, be boiled down to poverty.

Thank you for that one, and further poverty is a solvable problem. If resources are not wasted on war's and conflict. If economic and political models are based upon cooperative networks that considers the entire system and peoples, instead of greed and control for a powerful few. The trend IMHO is toward global networks of cooperation, despite the set backs of the last few years.

Through VISTA, individuals and communities gain the knowledge and tools they need to finally get on the other side of poverty. This is our members’ legacy, a legacy 40 years in the making, a legacy of service to America. The stories in this book are the foundations of that legacy: stories of ordinary people meeting extraordinary challenges
http://www.americorps.gov/about/programs/vista_legacy.asp

YouTube - VISTA: Fight Poverty With Passion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npGnWKa8kFc&feature=related

Zythryn, Overcrowding..http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-virginia/473194-how-ma This is just one school.

Questor, this is a non-functioning link. I searched all 85 threads in the University-Virginia forum. None started with 'how ma' that also discusssed overcrowding.

Even if it did, I suspect, being a forum discussion, that there would be no factual support for your position. However, that is simply a guess as I can't actually verify since the link is non existant.

Interesting article. However, there is zero support for your claim that Universities are getting more expensive because of immigrants. They don't mention immigration much less overcrowding.

why is it that you refuse to do any research on your own? It couldn't be that you just like to argue would it?

I do quite a bit of research. Just in this response of yours I spent quite a bit of time searching to try to find the link you first posted.

At this forum, as I understand it, if you make a claim you are expected to give supporting evidence. Therefore, you are the one that should be doing research.

The last time I asked you to back up your statements, you did a quick google search and posted the top few links without even reading the titles of the links. Not only did they not support your position, one supported your opponents and another was a site I won't mention in mixed company;)

I will be off the site for awhile.

Why is it you stop responding to posts when you are asked to provide evidence supporting your position?