Science Forums

Need help about a pem

ok so i'm new on the forum have just created some hydrogen today it was pretty cool but i did that for a test to see if i can make hydrogen to make a pem but i don't know one thing.... how to make a pem fuel cell myself after i make one i am going to make a stack but now talking ahead of myself...ok so any information about it would help mabe some scetches?but i do know it has a pem a catyalst and all that stuff because of a diagram

i just don't know how to feed the hydrogen through...same with the oxygen on a smaller scale i don't know the materiels i need mabe i need special equipment i don't know thats why i need your help please..../

chad

ok so i'm new on the forum have just created some hydrogen today it was pretty cool but i did that for a test to see if i can make hydrogen to make a pem but i don't know one thing.... how to make a pem fuel cell myself after i make one i am going to make a stack but now talking ahead of myself...ok so any information about it would help mabe some scetches?

Here are some diagrams:

-source

-source

-source

but i do know it has a pem a catyalst and all that stuff because of a diagram i just don't know how to feed the hydrogen through...same with the oxygen on a smaller scale i don't know the materiels i need mabe i need special equipment i don't know thats why i need your help please..../

chad

The PEM is made of Nafion. It is the same material they use for producing hydrogen in the chlor-alkali process. For particulars on the backing, electrolyte, electrodes, etc. you can check out section 3 of Experimental Studies on Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cell Stacks.

Of course, trying to design, build, and work a fuel cell would be an extraordinarily dangerous and monumentally difficult thing to do.

~modest

• 1 year later...
I notice that such things as 'Nafion and Platinum' are needed for the construction of a PEM fuel cell and wonder if any of you are aware of any cheaper substitutes that could be used?

I don't see how you could make a PEM fuel cell without a PEM and Nafion is probably about as cheap as it gets. But, I believe (and I could be wrong) that alkaline fuel cells do not use a PEM, but rather an anion exchange membrane which might be cheaper.

~modest