Science Forums

Fossils show Antarctica much warmer and wetter 14.1 million years ago?

Moontanman

...I'll keep trying to get people to realize we don't have the power to stop global warming and we need to make other plans.

When most people say the want to 'stop global warming' they mean they want to 'stop human's influence on global warming'. At the very least, I can gaurentee you that is what I mean;)

And everyone agrees that the earth's climate in the past has had many fluctuations. I don't know of anybody that says it hasn't.

I just disagree that our influence is so small. While completely stopping our affect on GW is most likely impossible, we can at least lessen our impact. The longer the warming takes, the more likely people and nature can adapt.

Other suggestions have been made as to what else may be causing the global climate changes we have been seeing. All, that I am aware of, have been proven either not to be currently having an effect, or having a very small effect that doesn't fit the observations.

Ok, lets grab the bull by the horns, While I do think that oil is indeed geology reworked by biology and not fossil plants and animals turned into oil I do not and did not simply parrot Golds ideas here. Gold has been both right and wrong over the years but his book the Deep Hot Biosphere brought together many ideas, theories and facts that are difficult to simply dismiss. I was skeptical of fossil fuel way before I read The Deep Hot Biosphere,

I also feel this thread was moved for the wrong reasons and that ideas have been alluded to as being mine when In fact they are not. Global warming did not start 20 years ago, 50 years ago or 100 years ago. There is indeed evidence humans started to significantly influence global weather far earlier. If I remember correctly the figure often used is around 8000 years ago.

Some might say it was not long after we started to use fire. If we had stopped burning "fossil" fuel 100 years ago we would still be in this situation, it might have been delayed somewhat but here we are now. The sum total of hundreds if not thousands of years of "hey lets burn that and get rid of it!" Or "lets cut those trees down to make a field or a city" At this point I think we have destabilized the global weather to the point of no return.

Two real possibilities would seem to lie in our future, another glaciation event or the release of methane cathrates all over the globe and a warming event on a par with the Permian extinction. I think that most Earth cool downs are followed by huge releases of pent up methane cathrates as methane from deep in the Earth (abiogenic) is stored by cold water(ice), when this methane is released by inevitable warm ups a quick warm up is the result, much quicker than what we are doing to the earth. The longer the cool down period the hotter the the inevitable warm up will be.

We need to make plans to survive each of these possibilities or die out like 80 or 90% of the species on the Earth in the Permian. Can we buy time by cutting down on our emissions? I hope so, can we stop it completely No way! But making plans for the inevitable result might allow our civilization to go on or at least save some small portion of humanity depending on how bad it really gets.

...Two real possibilities would seem to lie in our future, another glaciation event or the release of methane cathrates all over the globe and a warming event on a par with the Permian extinction. I think that most Earth cool downs are followed by huge releases of pent up methane cathrates as methane from deep in the Earth (abiogenic) is stored by cold water(ice), when this methane is released by inevitable warm ups a quick warm up is the result, much quicker than what we are doing to the earth. The longer the cool down period the hotter the the inevitable warm up will be. ...

There is growing evidence the Permian extinction was precipitated by a meteor/comet impact so large that the antipodal focusing caused the eruptions of the Siberian steppes, yada, yada, yada. The suspect crater is under the ice in Antarctica and measures ~300 miles across. More on that over here: >> Here are some sources I've found so far searching 'antipodal focusing'; Mars is mentioned in several. >>

Another such event is also likely to lie in Earth's future. :hihi: :turtle: :bounce: :agree: :jumpforjoy:

There is growing evidence the Permian extinction was precipitated by a meteor/comet impact so large that the antipodal focusing caused the eruptions of the Siberian steppes, yada, yada, yada. The suspect crater is under the ice in Antarctica and measures ~300 miles across. More on that over here: >> Here are some sources I've found so far searching 'antipodal focusing'; Mars is mentioned in several. >>

Another such event is also likely to lie in Earth's future. :hihi: :turtle: :bounce: :agree: :jumpforjoy:

I was under the impression that the impact caused a small warm up that caused the release of huge amounts of methane cathrates and this caused the extinction, I may be out of date, i can't keep track of all this my self! :idea:

I was under the impression that the impact caused a small warm up that caused the release of huge amounts of methane cathrates and this caused the extinction, I may be out of date, i can't keep track of all this my self! :doh:

I'm your huckleberry! :hihi: Everything you need to get up to speed is at that link I gave. :turtle: