Science Forums

G'Day

dagaz

Howdy all from the Land Down Under. Have made a couple of posts (including an accidental double post) so thought I should introduce myself.

I am currently living in Outback Australia (about 600 km's west of Sydney) where I am the only science teacher in a school of 155 kids.

This is my third year of teaching, before that I worked in ecological restoration for various organisations around the Byron Bay area (the most Easterly point of the Australian mainland) where I grew up.

I have a degree in Environmental Science and (during my youth) was actively involved in some quite large environmental protests (I once spent about 4 hours up a twelve metre tripod in front of NSW's parliament house in Sydney.

Anyway, glad to be on board.

oooh, another one with a killer accent.

Tormod, this place just gets better and better!!

WELCOME, dagaz. Nice to have you. Can't wait to read more of what you have to say. I noticed that your 'join date' is back in July 04. Can you tell us why you've waited so long to introduce yourself and start posting. This is NOT a criticism, I'm just always curious to know what keeps people from posting right away. The only reason I joined was to get in on a conversation, so I'm curious what others motives are.

Again, welcome, and great to have you onboard!

Classic....mmm and you reckon 600km west of Sydney is Outback! :)

Yeh, well I'm in a line with Cobar and Bourke (they're both on the Kidman way which runs pretty well North-South and is about 50 km away) and the Black Stump is just up the road - the average rainfall here is 375 mm a year so we're also in the arid zone. Luckily the Murrumbidgee River isn't all that far away (about an hour) or I'd probably forget what a natural body of water looks like! Its not the red centre but I still consider it outback, try moving from Cairns to here and tell me what you reckon in a couple of years time - I grew up in Byron Bay so for me its like another world out here.

To IrishEyes, when I first found the site I thought it looked like a good group of people and good discussions but then never posted and it popped onto the back-burner until I received a recent email announcing the upgrades to the forum so thought I'd drop back for another look.

I guess my motivation for joining is to have more of a discussion with other "sciencey" types - I live in a town of 300 people whose main concern is wheat and sheep! :xx:

Yeah the sunsets out here definitely are spectacular, as is the night sky on a moonless night.

Actually woke up this morning to a thunderstorm and rain! Talk of the town for the nest week will be how many 'points' (100 points to the inch) everyone received during the storm.

As for tim tams, the nearest supermarket is just over 50 km away, and I *think* they may even sell them at the local general store.

As a sidenote, do you get into the Daintree much? I absolutely love it up there and have been for some extended bushwalks through the Roaring Meg Creek Wilderness Area.