Science Forums

Obscure but great movies!

Moontanman

The Piano

It is the story of a Scottish woman named Ada (Holly Hunter), who has been mute since age 6 because she simply chose not to speak. Ada travels with her daughter Flora (Anna Paquin) and her beloved piano to a remote spot on the coast of New Zealand for an arranged marriage to a farmer (Sam Neill). She gives piano lessons to a gruff neighbor (Harvey Keitel) who has Maori tattoos on his face, and, well, things develop from there. The picture takes on a powerful dream logic that simply defies synopsis.

Jane Campion is a master film maker.

Along with Australian directors Gillian Armstrong, Jocelyn Moorhouse and Shirley Barrett, Jane Campion has emerged as a major feminist filmmaker. She has been responsible for some of the most acclaimed films to have originated from Down Under since the late 1980s

armstrong the piano film campion - Google Search

Since then, the Australian presence has included such critically acclaimed films as My Brilliant Career, The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith, Breaker Morant, The Year of Living Dangerously, Strictly Ballroom, The Piano, Bliss, The Adventures of Priscilla - Queen of the Desert, Muriel's Wedding, Moulin Rouge, Japanese Story, Somersault and Wolf Creek. The Piano, written and directed by Jane Campion, produced by Jan Chapman, shared the top prize for features, the Palme d'Or, in 1993, and there have been three Australian winners of the Palme d'Or for Short Films: Jane Campion's Peel in 1986, Laurie McInnes' Palisade in 1987 and Glendyn Ivin's Cracker Bag in 2003.

The actors with whom she works often say outrageously positive things about the environment she creates for them, perhaps most famously Harvey Keitel's reference to her as a "goddess" (150). My favorite remark of this kind comes from Sam Neill, who is quoted in a Canadian review of The piano as saying that he "would have played the third Maori from the left for Jane." This is, in its way, a wonderful testimony . . .

The Piano, by contrast, is both an astonishing artistic achievement and a major motion picture. Featuring Holly Hunter and Harvey Keitel, it has made Campion an overnight celebrity. She is being hailed as a "natural" and "original" film maker, and no doubt she is.

• 2 months later...

YO!!! TURTLE!!!

Help me out here with an obscure movie. I can't remember the title or the actors! :xx:

Story line: these two guys from Italy move to the USA and settle in a modest sized town. Their dream is to open the best, most authentic Italian restaurant ever. But the locals don't want authentic. They want spaghetti and meatballs. They want pizza with canadian bacon. The one brother manages the books and wants to keep the biz going, even if certain compromises are necessary. The other brother is the chef and lives ONLY to cook the very best. Trouble is, the locals won't touch the very best.

So, they have to go out of business. They decide to throw one last party in the restaurant and invite all their friends for a final, free, Italian food bash. The cooking scenes in the kitchen, showing how the chef created some of these cuisanary masterpieces are alone worth the price of the movie.

So, what was the name of that damned movie?!?!?!?!

YO!!! TURTLE!!!

Help me out here with an obscure movie. I can't remember the title or the actors! :shrug:

Story line: these two guys from Italy move to the USA and settle in a modest sized town. Their dream is to open the best, most authentic Italian restaurant ever. But the locals don't want authentic. They want spaghetti and meatballs. They want pizza with canadian bacon. The one brother manages the books and wants to keep the biz going, even if certain compromises are necessary. The other brother is the chef and lives ONLY to cook the very best. Trouble is, the locals won't touch the very best.

So, they have to go out of business. They decide to throw one last party in the restaurant and invite all their friends for a final, free, Italian food bash. The cooking scenes in the kitchen, showing how the chef created some of these cuisanary masterpieces are alone worth the price of the movie.

I don't recall having scene seen that one. I'll keep an eye out for it though, and just mention in passing that I see a food theme cooking up here for you in your movie likes Winston. :confused:

Pardon me, but do you have any Soylent Green? :xx:

YouTube - Soylent green trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVpN312hYgU

I don't recall having ...seen that one. I'll keep an eye out for it though...do you have any Soylent Green? ...
I saw S.G. in the theatre when in opened. I liked it a lot. I've seen it on TV a couple of times. But I don't buy or rent movies starring past presidents of the NRA. Just one of those personal quirks, you know? :xx:

Recently, I viewed a couple movies mentioned in this thread. They were sub-par to say the least, yet, surprisingly entertaining. My fiancee fell asleep during "Zardoz", but I watched it through. Interesting philosophy behind it and it made me think that perhaps the theme it shares with "The Prisoner" is just a timestamp from England.

We also watched "The Quiet Earth". The knee-jerk reaction from both my fiancee and I was that it stunk of 1980's film production. We expected the worst, which was kind of a blessing. :xx:

I enjoyed it and it was a relief to see a movie that had so much space in it. Cinematography shouldn't be about fitting the most action into the least amount of space (I'm extrapolating this idea based on my views of music). I wouldn't recommend it, but it's not a terrible movie. The science behind it is...errr.....extremely questionable. :confused:

YouTube - Best Scene From: Tetsuo, the Iron Man (1989) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFPdN2GgJJI

YouTube - Scene from Tetsuo The Iron Man http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfB_LCRZJdg&feature=related

Tetsuo (1989)

I remember feeling the same way I felt after "Eraserhead" when I watched this- I had no idea what it was I had just watched or what it meant.

Here's another great, but obscure movie, that I cannot remember the title of.

You know the guy who played Marshall Dillon's side kick deputy in Gunsmoke? The first deputy? The one with the stiff leg who made really nasty coffee? He was also the villain in Waterworld.

OK. He stars in this low budget flick about a pirate radio station that broadcasts left-wing propaganda across America. How can they do that???

Easy. The radio station is in a World War II relic 4-engine bomber!!!!! A bomber that never lands. That's right. They have an underground organization, folks all over America, that have access to "the tallest building in town". They carry full gas cans up to the roof and attach big "loops". At the scheduled time, the bomber swoops in low and slow and "hooks" the loop and hauls in the gas. Sometimes the crew have to literally crawl out on the wings to do engine maintenance and replace worn parts. The crew haven't stepped foot on solid earth in like TEN YEARS!!! Hysterical. Just frakin hysterical.

Anybody remember the name of this one?????????

Here's another great, but obscure movie, that I cannot remember the title of.

You know the guy who played Marshall Dillon's side kick deputy in Gunsmoke? The first deputy? The one with the stiff leg who made really nasty coffee? He was also the villain in Waterworld.

OK. He stars in this low budget flick about a pirate radio station that broadcasts left-wing propaganda across America. How can they do that???

Easy. The radio station is in a World War II relic 4-engine bomber!!!!! A bomber that never lands. That's right. They have an underground organization, folks all over America, that have access to "the tallest building in town". They carry full gas cans up to the roof and attach big "loops". At the scheduled time, the bomber swoops in low and slow and "hooks" the loop and hauls in the gas. Sometimes the crew have to literally crawl out on the wings to do engine maintenance and replace worn parts. The crew haven't stepped foot on solid earth in like TEN YEARS!!! Hysterical. Just frakin hysterical.

Pyro, you are the king of obscure movies! I thought Spaced Invaders was an obscure movie! If you figure this one out let me know, I'd love to see it!

Dennis Hopper. Great actor of the method school, who’s breakthrough acting and directing role was, IMHO, "Billy" in 1969’s Easy Rider.
OK. He stars in this low budget flick about a pirate radio station that broadcasts left-wing propaganda across America.

Sounds great! ;)

I’ve not seen it (yet), but a little IMDBing leaves me certain it’s 1986’s Riders of the Storm.

I'm sure everyone remembers Damnation Alley.

I went to see it with my dad when it first came out. He was big into HiFi equipment and was really excited about the new Sound 360 feature. It was supposedly an upgrade from Sensurround used in the movies Earthquake, Rollerball, and Midway, and was a precurser to today's surround sound equipment.

YouTube - Damnation Alley intro http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKWTIY3Pjto

YO!!! TURTLE!!!

Help me out here with an obscure movie. I can't remember the title or the actors! :painting:

Try Big Night (1996)