Science Forums

Obscure but great movies!

Moontanman

In the catagory of 70's Sexplotation film's..

IMDb Video: Flesh Gordon

flesh gordon - Google Video

Freaking hilarious 7 min clip. "Monster hangout"

Darn, I was going to say Flesh Gordon next :rolleyes: the first time i watched it I was totally freaked. when the scientist said the super sex beam hadn't affected him at all and then he unveiled his space ship I almost died laughing! The attack by the penisaurus was pretty cool too. :)

Godzilla

(The modern USA one) - although you may need to have been weaned on the Japanese versions.

A very funny movie. Especially the French Secret Service trying to find real food and coffee in the USA.

Jean Reno is marvelous in that version, but otherwise, I think its totally sucky! I will go see *anything* with Jean Reno in it! Even the remake of The Pink Panther! :cheer:

What you need to be "weened" from is the absolutely bizarre American version of the original Godzilla with Raymond Burr in it. A couple of years ago they re-released the original Japanese version (sans Perry Masonesque-voiceover), which is an amazing anti-war, anti-nuclear weapon paean, that everyone should see. Its actually quite disturbing...

And while we're on Japanese films, here are two *really* obscure ones that are also hard to find, but are among my favorite films of all time: Harakiri and The Harp of Burma....

The greatest delicacies taste of nothing when eaten alone, :phones:

Buffy

Buffy I completely agree on Jean Reno, I love the movies he is in too. The new Pink Panther was in my view almost funnier than the older ones.

My favorits of him are "Leon" and "Le dernier combat (the last combat)". The latter really fits into the category obscure and gret movies. It is only non-mute movie I know of...in all the movie there is only one word spoken (sounds are there though)! And for once he is the bad guy...

And while we're on Japanese films, here are two *really* obscure ones that are also hard to find, but are among my favorite films of all time: Harakiri and

Somebody's speaking my language. I have an old copy of Seppuku/Harakiri on VHS - bootlegged at that :phones:

Looking at a list of Kobayashi's other films, I know I've seen 2 or 3 of them, but this was a while ago and they've kind of blended together in my memory. But, Seppuku I clearly recall as it makes a very bold impression. I don't mind a sad ending in a feature. Then again, I am American, so I love a happy ending as well:

Spirited Away - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

~modest

Somebody's speaking my language. I have an old copy of Seppuku/Harakiri on VHS - bootlegged at that :phones:

Looking at a list of Kobayashi's other films, I know I've seen 2 or 3 of them, but this was a while ago and they've kind of blended together in my memory. But, Seppuku I clearly recall as it makes a very bold impression. I don't mind a sad ending in a feature. Then again, I am American, so I love a happy ending as well:

Spirited Away - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

~modest

Jean Reno & Natalie Portman The Professional

YouTube - Princess Mononoke Trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkWWWKKA8jY

Jean Reno is marvelous in that version, but otherwise, I think its totally sucky! I will go see *anything* with Jean Reno in it! Even the remake of The Pink Panther! :)

What you need to be "weened" from is the absolutely bizarre American version of the original Godzilla with Raymond Burr in it. A couple of years ago they re-released the original Japanese version (sans Perry Masonesque-voiceover), which is an amazing anti-war, anti-nuclear weapon paean, that everyone should see. Its actually quite disturbing...

And while we're on Japanese films, here are two *really* obscure ones that are also hard to find, but are among my favorite films of all time: Harakiri and The Harp of Burma....

The greatest delicacies taste of nothing when eaten alone, :shrug:

Buffy

Thanks Buffy and for the PM

I will put it on my ever growing Amazon "Wish List" in the hope that my children will get generous one birthday

One movie I have been looking for for along time is "The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimer"

by Peter Cook

I have finally tracked it down at Amazon in the UK

It tells the story of how a politician becomes a supreme dictator of the UK by giving people what they say they want- "absolute democracy."

I remember it as being very satirical and funny

-----------------------------------------------

HELP PLEASE?

Some oldies might be able to help with this obscure French movie I saw 40 years ago at a Film Festival Marathon.

It was about a thief/burglar who joins a circus; gets shot out of a canon with an 'angel wings' costume; and eventually gets the wings to work.

His consequent reception at nunneries and catholic girls schools is ecstatic!

He has a compulsion about stealing clocks. Of course the wings give him a suburb burglar advantage.

In the final scene, the 'bad guy' and he, have a traditional "pie-fight" except they use clocks as the 'pies'.

I remember it as one of the funniest movies I have ever seen

Anyone know what it was?

Zarkorr! The Invader (1996). Considered by many (32% of IMDB voters give it a 1) simply a bad, bad movie, I think it’s one of the most intelligent films, on many levels, ever made. It’s writer, Benajmin Carr, impresses me as a sort of golden age SF writer timewarped from the world of 1950s pulps into the world of 1990s B-movies. Also, though it strains the imagination that this movie, a sort of fusion of the Godzilla, swords and sorcery, and nerd genres, can be, IMHO it actually qualifies as hard SF.

By no means do I recommend Zarkorr (32% of IMDB voters can’t be completely wrong!), but if my description strikes a resonant chord in you, you might see if you’re one of the rare (13.9% of IMDB gave it a 10) folk who share my affection for this obscure (122 votes at IMDB) movie.

I have always recommended Diggstown, and I do again today. Is this the best movie ever made? No, but it is one most people have not heard of and from beginning to end is creative, intelligent, and exciting. A crafty duel between con-men with boxing as the backdrop. The fix is definitely on. Oh yeah! A young Heather Graham!

Bill

Tamala 2010: A Punk Cat in Space. The AFI theatre manager who introduces this film described it as the strangest he’d ever seen, and I and everyone I know who’s seen it agree. The creation of the musical group Tol (“Trees of life”), it appears designed to be beyond obscure, to the point of being outright mysterions. For years, the DVD was nearly unobtainable (or, rather, obtainable only via the purchase an expensive box of promo material including cloths and toys), viewable only in theatres. It remains difficult to find information about this movie.

Effectively devoid of narrative (some have suggested that it was edited somewhat randomly), I found it both bewildering and nearly impossible to look away from. Theories about what the movie is about vary widely, including the IMHO unlikely one that it’s about nothing at all, that it’s based on Pynchon’s “The Crying of Lot 49” (?!), and my personal favorite, that it’s a study in and about archtypes.

Its closing credits song, “One Day for Maria” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7mHTZfUzA8, is one of, possibly the strangest song I’ve ever heard: musically, it’s just layers of instrument tracks on top of a C-G-D folksong, lyrically, I can’t quite discern its language (English, mostly), and seem to get a slightly different story impression each time I listen to it.

Tamala clearly qualifies as obscure. As for great, I’m simply can’t say. I recommend seeing Tamala, if you can – even after 5 years, it’s still not easy to do.

Its closing credits song,
, is one of, possibly the strangest song I’ve ever heard: musically, it’s just layers of instrument tracks on top of a C-G-D folksong, lyrically, I can’t quite discern its language (English, mostly), and seem to get a slightly different story impression each time I listen to it.

I love it! :turtle:

Thanks Craig!

Though I must say, if that's the strangest song you've ever heard, I've got some *real starnge* songs for you! :shrug:

Okay, for strange movies--if you can expand it to include short film--no list would be complete without:

Both absolutely indescribable...

Oh and to expand the general list by a bit very succinctly: absolutely anything by Sergei Eisenstein, V.I. Pudovkin and Leni Reifenstahl, because almost none of you have seen any of them and every one of them is good!

Reality doesn't interest me, :phones:

Buffy

The Party - Peter Sellers

I don't know how obscure this is in reality. I have managed to catch it on TV only once and that was almost 20 years ago. I thought it was hilarious. A classic Blake Edwards movie.

YouTube - THE PARTY [TRAILER] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38PMVtdw_hE

Buffy, I can't believe you mentioned Eraserhead. What a blast from the past. When I was a young teenager, some of my friends and I would go up to the local university theater and we saw it a couple of times there. This is the stuff nightmares are made of. Mostly weird, but very creepy! :phones: