Science Forums

Likelyhood of getting rabies from the bite of a rabid dog

mynah

I know that the risk is very low if proper treatment is immediately given and if the bite is not close to the brain - but what is the risk if the person is not treated? (More or less on average - obviously, factors such as the severity of the bite and whether the wound is cleaned or not may play a role.)

Some years ago, I read in Encyclopaedia Brittanica that the risk is around 20 percent. On an Indian medical website (annoyingly, I can't find it now, but I'll keep on looking if anyone asks) it is given as 0.25 percent - quite a difference! Unfortunately neither source stated whether only untreated cases were considered, and whether the dogs had been confirmed as rabid.

I know that the risk is very low if proper treatment is immediately given and if the bite is not close to the brain - but what is the risk if the person is not treated? (More or less on average - obviously, factors such as the severity of the bite and whether the wound is cleaned or not may play a role.)

Some years ago, I read in Encyclopaedia Brittanica that the risk is around 20 percent. On an Indian medical website (annoyingly, I can't find it now, but I'll keep on looking if anyone asks) it is given as 0.25 percent - quite a difference! Unfortunately neither source stated whether only untreated cases were considered, and whether the dogs had been confirmed as rabid.

I'm not sure of the official rate of getting rabies from a bite but here it is always assumed to be 100% due the seriousness of the disease. Only one known case of someone surviving rabies in modern times.

The death rate is almost 100 percent once clinical rabies has developed, but I've at last found information on the chance of actually getting the disease if you are bitten. Seems to vary from around 0,5 percent (untreated, superficial bleeding bite through clothing on a limb) to almost 100 percent (multiple severe bites to the head and neck).

The death rate is almost 100 percent once clinical rabies has developed, but I've at last found information on the chance of actually getting the disease if you are bitten. Seems to vary from around 0,5 percent (untreated, superficial bleeding bite through clothing on a limb) to almost 100 percent (multiple severe bites to the head and neck).

Multiple severe bites would indicate bleeding. I would say the multiple severe bite transmission is due to the surrounding near misses where the puncture does not cause enough bleeding to eject the viri or the deep wound skin/tissue reaction (recovering exposed area) traps viri.

But thats just a guess.