Science Forums

"Has anyone seen or heard anything about nasa discovering that a day is missing?"

goku

what was the name of that shuttle that burnt up over texas?

What was the name of the fundamentalist Christan leader that was caught having sex with another man in a seedy hotel room? And then did his best to weasel out of by blaming stress or demonic possession or some off the wall crap. What is your point goku, are you saying that NASA's accidents are caused by them being a sloppy group of amateurs? Don't make misleading comments, be a man and say what you mean or is telling the truth kryptonite to your people?

I think it is absolutely reprehensible that anyone would suggest that these people, and those who supported them, who gave their lives persueing a better world for all of us, where not dedicated to what they were doing.

You disgust me, Goku.

I think it is absolutely reprehensible that anyone would suggest that these people, and those who supported them, who gave their lives persueing a better world for all of us, where not dedicated to what they were doing.

You disgust me, Goku.

I agree. :bounce:

"What were the names of those preists who took advantage of altar boys?"
/forums/images/smilies/devilsign.gif
Same core point really; People **** Up.

Both those are examples of rather nasty mistakes by Professionals in their fields.

Back to the core topic:

Have you 'experienced' God? If so, for you, he 'exists'. If not, you can only hope either way.

I think you could close a cat in a box with some poison, and if you never opened the box, at least the cat would know the answer.

• 2 weeks later...

doesn't matter if they were dedicated or not they still messed up

it is interesting seeing how everyone reacted to that comment.

i attacked your religon and you responded with hatred.

truly the accident was horrible :rolleyes: it is my fear that there will only be more

it is interesting seeing how everyone reacted to that comment.

i attacked your religon and you responded with hatred.

truly the accident was horrible :rolleyes: it is my fear that there will only be more

You didn't attack our "religion." You attacked our country and national pride, something we all share regardless of our religious views. Most importantly however, you insulted the people that lost their lives and their family members. Don't try to spin this around by comparing it to "attacking religion."

That was filthy.

The attack was on decency.

It's okay if you feel that way. It's also okay if you express your feelings. However, when your beliefs urinate on so many people who were touched by that incident, you should expect to be put in your place.

You would't talk to a person you respect like your dad with that tone, and there's no reason to do so against the people who gave their lives trying to make this planet better.

Your attack was on decency.

doesn't matter if they were dedicated or not they still messed up

Yes goku that's true, but somehow that mess up wasn't on a par with the priests and preachers who use their place of authority to molest children was it? Somehow dedicated people who make an honest mistake isn't quite as disturbing as dedicated people planning evil is it? I do not have any problem with you insinuating science is my religion, I take it as a complement.

You didn't attack our "religion." You attacked our country and national pride, something we all share regardless of our religious views. Most importantly however, you insulted the people that lost their lives and their family members. Don't try to spin this around by comparing it to "attacking religion."

That was filthy.

i didn't mean it as an insult, if anyone thought otherwise i appologize.

i was useing it as an example that scientists do mess up, i asked the question because i don't remember the name of the shuttle.

the point is everyone saw that mistake, but how could everyone see if they made a mistake on evolution?

Yes goku that's true, but somehow that mess up wasn't on a par with the priests and preachers who use their place of authority to molest children was it? Somehow dedicated people who make an honest mistake isn't quite as disturbing as dedicated people planning evil is it? I do not have any problem with you insinuating science is my religion, I take it as a complement.

you're right there is absolutely no excuse for the wrongs that were done and are being done.

and if i must i'll be the first to say that those evil people are not christians nor have they known the Father

you're right there is absolutely no excuse for the wrongs that were done and are being done.

and if i must i'll be the first to say that those evil people are not christians nor have they known the Father

Do you have some evidence that Christians are morally superior to non-Christians? I think you need to clearly state why you believe people who do great evil are not true Christians. Is it just a personal belief you have with nothing to back it up?

~modest

Do you have some evidence that Christians are morally superior to non-Christians? I think you need to clearly state why you believe people who do great evil are not true Christians. Is it just a personal belief you have with nothing to back it up?

~modest

no, not superior

christian means Christ like

to be a christian is to be like Christ

molestors are not Christ like

no, not superior

christian means Christ like

to be a christian is to be like Christ

molestors are not Christ like

Goku, I know (or at least hope) you mean well in your idea that anyone who does wrong is not a Christian but do you see the contradiction in what you are saying and why it is a self fulfilling prophecy? I see it all the time with Christians and probably other religions as well. You include everyone who says they are a Christian but then when they do wrong you automatically say they were not Christians. I've seen a preacher who molested children at a local church and not only was he having sex with underage girls in the church he was also having sex with several of the mothers. Then when one father tried to have him arrested the whole Church went to the preachers aid and tried their best to keep him from going to jail, saying he was forgiven and shouldn't go to jail for molesting all those 12 to 16 year old girls. He finally went to jail even though most of the girls recanted their statements of abuse because their families made them and then the Church took him back as preacher when he got out of jail!Or in the case of the televangelist who was caught having a sexual affair with another man then said it was demon possession that made him do it and the Church took him back, or the priests who molested children and the church covered it up. Science on the other hand is always looking for mistakes, if evolution was a mistake it would be turned over, many changes have been made in the theory since it was first proposed and as new evidence comes in more changes will be made. Religion covers up it's mistakes and tries to hide it's inconsistencies, the sex scandals may seem unfair to show this but it does show how inconstant and loath to admit mistakes the church really is. Science looks for problems, sometimes the process can be slowed down by stubborn people, sometimes people make claims that are not true, sometimes people even cheat but the changes do occur no matter how earth shattering they are. Because ferreting out those bad ideas and applying the good ideas so they can instigate change is a big part of what science is. Religion wants things to remain static, discourages free thinking or investigations of it's dogma. Christians can do no wrong because if they do they cannot have been Christians, this policy allows anything to happen with out the church and it's members taking responsibility. Not a good thing goku, take responsibility for the bad before you claim the good, nothing else is tolerable.