Science Forums

ADHD / BIPolar / Borderline

mental health sufferage and freedom with responsibility should come with knowledge. How do you equate farming and hunting to a twisted evolutionary tract. I guess personally suffering from a mental illness has given me the opportunity to see how injust the world really is and how cruel people really are when the mind sets it's sights on attaining peace of mind it is troubled in doing so. The best peace a person with mental illness can find is in a meal in the garbage can or under a bridge and why do you single the disorders to just a few there are 336 according to the DSM4. Living with a mental illness is disabling. There have been weeks I have spent in my apartment afraid to come outside I don't like crowds and find it very difficult at times to go into a large store where there are lot's of people. I went to college to be an art therapist and then I started hearing voices and eventually started believing I was John F. Kennedy reincarnated I have to leave my identity up to a higher power because honestly he's the only one that knows. How am I suppose to live my life knowing all that I know and still try to lead a normal life, almost virtually immpossible but I carry on because I believe my life is worth living and it has taken twelve years to find people in the system that understand teamwork as far a not treating me as a great man but just that I am human and I also shed tears. Farming and hunters / twisted evolution I don't know what your getting at.

How does Adult Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder work??

an how do Bipolar and Borderline work too??

What do you mean by "work"? Do you mean "what are the symptoms?"? Have you looked at the respective wikis?

Is there any clue? Is it the next step in some twisted evolution? Hunter vs. farmer theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is interesting, I've never heard of this theory.

I must admit that even though I've studied quite a bit of psychology and evolution, I've never really dove into Evolutionary Psychology. So perhaps it's best to let someone more qualified answer. I did find this quote interesting (from the wiki link Julian posted):

Hartmann, the originator of the theory, has stated that the hunter vs. farmer idea was intended as a mental model after his own son was diagnosed with ADHD, stating, "It's not hard science, and was never intended to be," while acknowledging that some researchers are now using the hunter vs. farmer idea as a working hypothesis about the origin of ADD/ADHD.[7]

It doesn't bode well when the creator of the theory states that it is not "hard science".

This seems to be a very thorough explanation of the neuroscience of ADHD:

Retrospectacle: A Neuroscience Blog : The Neuroscience of ADHD

Also, here is an interesting article I found while searching some blogs:

Study uncovers how Ritalin works in brain to boost cognition, focus... ( MADISON - Stimulant medications suc...)

Stimulant medications such as Ritalin have been prescribed for decades to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and their popularity as "cognition enhancers" has recently surged among the healthy, as well.

What's now starting to catch up is knowledge of what these drugs actually do in the brain. In a paper publishing online this week in Biological Psychiatry, University of Wisconsin-Madison psychology researchers David Devilbiss and Craig Berridge report that Ritalin fine-tunes the functioning of neurons in the prefrontal cortex (PFC) — a brain region involved in attention, decision-making and impulse control — while having few effects outside it.

[...]

At the same time, the results support the idea that today's ADHD drugs may be safer than people think, says Berridge. Mounting behavioral and neurochemical evidence suggests that clinically relevant doses of Ritalin primarily target the PFC, without affecting brain centers linked to over-arousal and addiction. In other words, Ritalin at low doses doesn't appear to act like a stimulant at all.

And one more interesting piece, about dopamine and ADHD:

The Corpus Callosum : Dopamine Abnormality in ADHD