Science Forums

Tidal Power generation

I am not an engineer but have done some research on different idea's for plausible new means of generating our power needs, ...I believe tidal generation is the way to go, .... I have been wondering if it would be feasible to use the tidal lift upon a floating object perhaps even mothballed or out of service ocean liners to generate power taking advantage of the waters tremendous lifting ability and the great weight of the vessel on the drop, suppose a cradle was built to accomodate the vessel in a dug or deeper channel near a land mass or built structure and by linkage through a fulcrum and lever or gearing it is connected to a heavy mass flywheel for steady momentum characteristics and then to generators, .. or series of generators rotors to work both on the rise and fall of the tide ... the U.S. has thousands of miles of coastline which could accomodate small footprint plants all connected to the power grid and since the tidal rise and fall occurs at different periods geographically it would tend to average out a steady power potential. Is this plausible or just a crazy idea.

I have seen the wiki synopsis prior, .. but these are all dependent on overcoming many more obstacles and very expensive and limited on where they may be placed to derive a cost effective output and power distribution system, .... not to mention what a hurricane can do to them .....a ship or lifting barge could be constructed to be detached and moved from the path of any major predicted storms and moved from the location and very low in maintenance and operational costs.

they already are building a few power plants in the mouth of some rivers to utilize tidal energy and convert it into electricity.

Being facilitated by installing a series of water turbines that actually work bidirectionally with tide coming in and going out.

If the design works, many more stations like the one in New York harbor will be installed (btw as far as i know the one in NY is not yet finished)