Science Forums

Jesus is a God of Love

InfiniteNow

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I was warmed to see this video recently.

I don't do vids one reason is that my computer is running in save mode. I'm working on it and prefer safe mode and because it so speeds my 'internet computers' up. (I keep my computers used for art and photos etc off the web)...

~

Anyway on to the topic at hand

Suffice to say that anyone can twist the words of the bible around to suit their needs. Jesus is the God of love and I can be loosely defined as a red letter Christian.

Sometimes my atheist friends and a lot of my atheist enemies will ask me how can a 'Christian' do this or that (anything from cursing someone to committing an atrocity). I tell them that they can't. Its a perfectly acceptable answer and if its told correctly (truthfully) the no true Scotsman fallacy does not apply.

Its the ignorance of the bible and theology (I have a MA in comparative theology) that get many Christians and most atheists in trouble when defending or attacking Christianity. All in all in the end it does not matter, we Christians (claimed or otherwise just like the atheists etc) are billions in number, so I predict that eventually a theocracy will rule the world.

That's a horrible thing and not something that I want, however it seems to be a sure thing. One thing I do enjoy is the million (or more) to one advantage of numbers that Christians have over atheists. If the number of all religions were included I would bet that the ratio is hundreds of millions to one. With an numerical superiority like that atheism is indeed a endangered species. I am not being a jester when I say that I think something should be done to protect the remaining atheists from extinction.

Anyone agree?

; }>

One thing I do enjoy is the million (or more) to one advantage of numbers that Christians have over atheists. If the number of all religions were included I would bet that the ratio is hundreds of millions to one. With an numerical superiority like that atheism is indeed a endangered species. I am not being a jester when I say that I think something should be done to protect the remaining atheists from extinction.

Anyone agree?

; }>

You really are being a jester, even though you say explicitly that you are not, aren't you?

Or, are you proposing violence against athiests?

As for your opinions, everyone is entitled to one. Your facts are a bit off though.

'100s of millions to one'??

I don't think so. If that were the ratio of athiests to theists, there would be about 60 in the entire world.

France comes in at 32% according to 2006 poll. For the European Union the overall rate reported in polls is about 18%. Atheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It also seems that the rate of athiesm in a population increases with the level of education.

While this is a very emotional issue, when using facts to support your position, please try to verify them.

No Zythryn, I love everyone and those of all religions. I was simply replying tit for tat. If I have offended you please accept my apology. The numbers were an estimate* but close enough for forum work!

Peace ~

; }>

* Notes

# Christianity: 2.1 billion

# Islam: 1.5 billion

# Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion

# Hinduism: 900 million

# Chinese traditional religion: 394 million

# Buddhism: 376 million

# primal-indigenous: 300 million

# African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million

# Sikhism: 23 million

# Juche: 19 million

# Spiritism: 15 million

# Judaism: 14 million

# Baha'i: 7 million

# Jainism: 4.2 million

# Shinto: 4 million

# Cao Dai: 4 million

# Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million

# Tenrikyo: 2 million

# Neo-Paganism: 1 million

# Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand

# Rastafarianism: 600 thousand

# Scientology: 500 thousand

http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

Figures from another site ; (reduced in size for bandwidth considerations)

Abrahamic religions Christianity 2.1 billion[6] 1st century Worldwide except Northwest Africa, the Arabian Peninsula, and parts of Central, East, and Southeast Asia. Islam 1.5 billion[7] 7th c. Middle East, Northern Africa, Central Asia, South Asia, Western Africa, Indian subcontinent, Malay Archipelago with large population centers existing in Eastern Africa, Balkan Peninsula, Russia, Europe and China. Judaism 12–25 million[8] 1300 BC Israel and Jewish diaspora (meaning mostly North America and Europe) Bahá'í Faith 5 million[9] 19th c. Dispersed worldwide with no major population centers Rastafari movement 700 thousand[10] 1930s Jamaica, Caribbean, Africa Dharmic religions Hinduism 650 million –1.4 billion[11] 2500–3000 BC or older Indian subcontinent, Fiji, Guyana, Trinidad and Mauritius Buddhism 250–500 million[12] c. 500 BC Indian subcontinent, East Asia, Indochina, regions of Russia. Sikhism 10–20 million[13] 15th c. Indian subcontinent, Australasia, Northern America, Southeast Asia, the United Kingdom and Western Europe. Jainism 6–12 million[14] c. 800 BC India, and East Africa Far Eastern religions Taoism Varies[15] Han Dynasty: 206 BC – 220 AD China and the Chinese diaspora Shinto Varies Varies by tradition Japan Folk religions Chinese folk religions Varies[15] Varies by tradition China African traditional and diasporic religions Millions[15] Varies by tradition Africa, Americas Other folk religions Millions[15] Varies by tradition India, Asia Other

each over 500 thousand Marxism Millions[8] 1848 Worldwide Chondogyo 3 million[16] 1812 North Korea Tenrikyo 2 million[17] 1832 Japan, Brazil Cao Ðài 1–3 million[18] 1925 Vietnam Ahl-e Haqq 1 million[19] 14th century Iraq, Iran Seicho-No-Ie 800 thousand[17] 1929 Japan Yazidism 700 thousand[20] 12th century or older mainly Iraq Unitarian-Universalism 630 thousand[21] 1961

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_religious_groups

; }>

As for your opinions, everyone is entitled to one. Your facts are a bit off though.

'100s of millions to one'??

I don't think so. If that were the ratio of athiests to theists, there would be about 60 in the entire world.

France comes in at 32% according to 2006 poll. For the European Union the overall rate reported in polls is about 18%. Atheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It also seems that the rate of athiesm in a population increases with the level of education.

While this is a very emotional issue, when using facts to support your position, please try to verify them.

Thanks for that, mate. I hadn't seen those numbers yet. :hihi:

You're quite correct that religiosity is inversely proportional with education... the more education, the less religious. Also, among the sciences, biologists are less religious than physicists, and strangely chemists are the most religious among scientists (on the order of 8% of them, IINM... Still a REALLY low number, but WAY higher in terms of percentange from other sciences).

Also, it should be noted that atheism is the fastest growing group identified when people are asked about their religious belief. Practically all other religious belief systems by which people self-identify are on the decline... More atheists are acknowledging it everyday as they see it's safer to "come out" and admit it. For far too long, openly sharing that one was an atheist resulted in violence and ostracism (and, in many locales, still does).

Anyway... All of this is off-topic. I opened this thread to make fun of [..removed..]. Can we please stay on topic, people? :doh:

Oh no offense taken. I am used to people throwing around made up numbers.

So when you say '100s of millions to one' when speaking of ratios, you really mean 6 to 1 (or 24 to 1 if you take a quarter of their 'secular/nonreligious/agnostic/athiest' category)?

I do appreciate being able to decipher the numbers a poster uses. If you could exagerate a bit less it would be appreciated. For those that aren't aware of the level of your exageration, they may get the wrong implication from your posts which contain such 'exagerations'.

Ha ha...Ok I will be more precise for those of you that are wound a bit tight! I do understand your point. Its a good one. But be forewarned, (and perhaps forearmed) with precision comes the devil. Again thanks for the heads up and the advice, I am new to the forum and don't want to get off to the wrong start.

; }>

I will tell you what I was thinking about, and that was the number of hard atheists or atheists that believe its 100% impossible for God to exist and no agnostics need apply. They are relatively few in number I suspect. However I respect them the most!

But be forewarned, (and perhaps forearmed) with precision comes the devil.

I believe the DSM-IV refers to this as a self-reinforcing delusion... the idea that knowledge and clarity are somehow evil is one of the main methods of reinforcing the ignorance which is required to hold the belief itself.

Suffice to say that anyone can twist the words of the bible around to suit their needs. Jesus is the God of love and I can be loosely defined as a red letter Christian.

; }>

This is the very thing that makes religion so ridiculous. anyone can twist the bible or any other religious text to mean anything they want and allow them to do most anything they want to do. Even more to the point all of these people will point to this fact to give their twisted view more impact as thought they and only they really have the real no kidding only true slant on what god wants.... it's really quite silly and the reason why I left the fold many many years ago. simply too many people claiming their take was the only real truth. Nothing but BS artists taking advantage of the marks...

I believe the DSM-IV refers to this as a self-reinforcing delusion... the idea that knowledge and clarity are somehow evil is one of the main methods of reinforcing the ignorance which is required to hold the belief itself.

When I said with precision comes the devil I meant if I spend time getting my figures and facts precise I won't so easily back down my friend.

; }>

This is the very thing that makes religion so ridiculous.

Well to begin with I take offense to your use of the word 'ridiculous' describing religion. Its incorrect and insulting. Actually, when someone has to demean a system or person it simply illustrates their own inferiority complex.

anyone can twist the bible or any other religious text to mean anything they want and allow them to do most anything they want to do.

While you may be correct in saying that the bibles words could be twisted, that statement could apply to anything. Science text books or even technical reports. I might say that Darwin was clearly attempting to prove God exists. Would that make it true? No I would say where is the proof for your statement? The same is true of the bible. If you tell me that the bible says this or that or that I can ask you to clarify it with scripture. Of course some ignorant people will attempt to quote scripture out of context etc but they are easily defeated by demonstrating the scholarly way to interpret or understand a passage, in the same way that a scientifically challenged person could be corrected concerning evolution of the species for example. So your critique is not valid in my opinion.

Even more to the point all of these people will point to this fact to give their twisted view more impact as thought they and only they really have the real no kidding only true slant on what god wants.…

What do you mean by “all of these people”? A blanket statement is rarely true. If anyone makes a statement about Christianity that doesn’t sound correct its up to the Christian to ask what the false prophet is using for his claims. Jim Jones used the bible to murder a lot of people, but he wasn’t a man of God.

it's really quite silly and the reason why I left the fold many many years ago. simply too many people claiming their take was the only real truth. Nothing but BS artists taking advantage of the marks...

If you were a mark I am sorry. However if you have normal intelligence you could of easily determined who was a false prophet and who was not. If its not in the bible or if its in the bible and 'perved' up by someone claiming to be a man of God you have the responsibility to sift the wheat from the chaff. You have to own your soul brother. The bible is full of warnings of the false prophets and even of satanic influence, and both are alive and well on planet earth on 2009AD. Its up to you to fight or to surrender. I would hope that you decide to fight for your rights to party with religion.

; {>

I meant if I spend time getting my figures and facts precise I won't so easily back down my friend.

Sounds like this would be time well spent then, doesn't it? :bow:

It would really be great if you could check out the videos shared in this thread. They really illuminate a pretty basic point, and it would help to provide you with some context of our tone. If videos are absolutely impossible for you, you might start here instead:

http://www.cs.umd.edu/~mvz/bible/bible-inconsistencies.pdf

I imagine you have an "explanation" for all of them, but with 45 pages it would seem you'd have to try too hard to account for each, and would need to abandon all semblance of objectivity, rationality, and logic.

Also, there's always this: http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/jim_meritt/bible-contradictions.html