Science Forums

Jesus is a God of Love

InfiniteNow

I wish you guys would start giving a short synopsis of these videos, I can't run them and I would love to know what they are about.

It's Sam Harris, author and atheist, talking about the way people believe in the rapture during their lifetimes, and how dangerous and silly this is. He also comments how people who believe in this should not be involved in politics.

It's also mixed with Richard Carrier talking about his own belief in the rapture and why the world going to armageddon is such a beautiful prospect.

That's my biased summary. :ohdear:

Here's a couple of my previous posts from other threads on the subject.

This whole Rapture, Revelations, Armageddon, Apocalypse crap really makes me sick at my stomach. That people would create a world around these pitiful prospects is shear lunacy.

http://hypography.com/forums/social-sciences/13109-apocalypse-christains.html#post193111

http://hypography.com/forums/philosophy-humanities/1607-armageddon-going-happen-5.html#post212167

• 4 weeks later...

What I interpret from Bill's post is that, just because you can find an example of something you find repulsive doesn't mean everything of it's kind should therefore be discarded.

In other words, does it make sense that he should kill and discard his dog because he saw an offensive example of a dog in a video.

Now, substitute belief, faith, or religion for dog in the previous sentence.

He's warning of stereotyping, or generalizing.

That's my take anyway, and I think it's a legitimate point to make because it is applicable in so many aspects of our lives.

YouTube - dog eating **** ... why

When I saw this i went outside and killed my dog and threw his disgusting corps in the trash. I cannot believe any sane person would own such a disgusting animal.

Bill

I don't know what he meant but I intend to use this post against him in my campaign for the office of God!

What I interpret from Bill's post is that, just because you can find an example of something you find repulsive doesn't mean everything of it's kind should therefore be discarded.

In other words, does it make sense that he should kill and discard his dog because he saw an offensive example of a dog in a video.

Now, substitute belief, faith, or religion for dog in the previous sentence.

He's warning of stereotyping, or generalizing.

I agree with your interpretation, and that was my own perception as well. I asked so maybe Bill would come and elucidate his own point, instead of doing a drive by posting. I know he's reviewed this thread since I made the post asking for clarification (I watched him via the who's online feature), but he chose not to respond. This implies there is a significant weakness in his argument (or, he had other things to attend to first :confused: ).

If our interpretations of his point are valid, then Bills post evidences how he is strawmanning my argument (misinterpretting into a weaker form and then arguing against that misinterpretation instead). My position is far from limited to rare and uncommon examples of idiocy. Those just add to it. My position is that these beliefs are directly counter to reason and common sense, and fail all tests when critically inquired upon.

Further, I don't blame all of the evils in the world against religion. I only argue against those that are done in the express name of religion.

Let's go stone someone for working on Sunday and burn a homosexual. Sounds like a nice moral activity we can do after reading the good book.

Thomas Jefferson felt passionately about Jesus not being a God, and I believe the Universalist did not accept Jesus as a God, and for sure the deist did not.

Here are some other thoughts of Jesus not being God.

Answering Trinity- A full proof that Jesus is not GODJesus is a hypocrite for bowing down to GOD only during his desperate times. See another proof in the Bible that Jesus can not be the Creator of the ...

Answering Trinity- A full proof that Jesus is not GOD - 82k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Paul's BeliefIt is clear from this that the title God applies not to Christ Jesus, ... Clearly, for Paul, Jesus was not God, and he would be shocked to see his writings ...

www3.sympatico.ca/shabir.ally/new_page_43.htm - 12k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

YouTube - 100% proof Jesus is not God! The temptation of ...

About the temptation of Prophet Jesus (peace be upon him) and ...

4 min 53 sec -

YouTube - 100% proof Jesus is not God! The temptation of Jesus.

YouTube - Contradictions in the Bible. Jesus is Not GOD ...

The idea of Jesus as part of a trinity was a Greek PAGAN ...

4 min 39 sec -

Jesus is not the FatherGod is his Father from eternity past, he being the Son of eternal generation. Thomas bowed before Jesus saying, he is his God and his Lord, Jesus could not ...

Jesus is not the Father - 33k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

In a Blog's Stead - February 2004The claim that Jesus was God did not become Christian orthodoxy until the Council ... Jesus puts himself forward, not as God, but as the first man to have ...

praxeology.net/unblog02-04.htm - 179k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

JESUS IS NOT GOD'S SON! HE IS A REBELIOUS JEW, WHO GOT KILLED BY ...Jul 16, 2008 ... Facebook is a social utility that connects people with friends and others who work, study and live around them. People use Facebook to keep ...

JESUS IS NOT GOD'S SON! HE IS A REBELIOUS JEW, WHO GOT KILLED BY ROMANS!!! | Facebook - 40k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Jesus is not God Almighty | open source theologyTo read John’s gospel and not see Jesus making God-claims for himself is to keep one eye closed and the other very committed indeed to some alternative ...

Jesus is not God Almighty | open source theology - 243k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

When I saw this i went outside and killed my dog and threw his disgusting corps in the trash. I cannot believe any sane person would own such a disgusting animal.

Well, I've heard it said that Man created dogs in His image.

When I think about all the generations of dogs, subjected to millennia of concious and unconcious selection by us, it's not surprising that dogs would eat what they eat.

Or perhaps it was that endearing little trait that attracted us to them in the first place.

I have long wondered what ancient humans used for toilet paper.:eek2:

• 8 months later...

Hope this is on topic enough In, but it's more like a Jesus hateful thingy than a love thingy. :QuestionM All in how you look at it I suppose, but I don't think PETA would stand for this kind of cruelty to animals by even a god. :) Ya gonna eat those rotting pig corpses floatin' in the ocean, or at least clean 'em up? Oh; gotta get on to the next swindle...erhm...sermon in the next town. Gotcha. We'll follow ya & leave it for someone else too. :doh:

Mark 5 - NAS - without Study Tools - Online Study Bible

...10 And he began to implore Him earnestly not to send them out of the country. 11 Now there was a large herd of swine feeding nearby on the mountain. 12 The demons implored Him, saying, "Send us into the swine so that we may enter them." 13 Jesus gave them permission. And coming out, the unclean spirits entered the swine; and the herd rushed down the steep bank into the sea, about two thousand of them; and they were drowned in the sea. ...