Science Forums

Ideas for portable cooking

i am participating in a competition <portable cooking>. i need to built up a model without using any battry or generator in order to rise the temperature of water which is placed under the sun. therefore, i need some ideas to built the model so that the temperature of the water will experience a great rise in a short period...

i am participating in a competition <portable cooking>. i need to built up a model without using any battry or generator in order to rise the temperature of water which is placed under the sun. therefore, i need some ideas to built the model so that the temperature of the water will experience a great rise in a short period...

I recommend the following thread:

http://hypography.com/forums/science-projects-homework/6465-solar-parabolic-trough-charcoal-oven.html?highlight=hyperbolic

Let us know if you have any questions. :shrug:

trishelen mentions that it must be "under the sun", which I interpret to mean "solar powered". If that is what trishelen means, then I think that solar concentration is the way to go. Hence, I referenced a *very* detailed thread regarding this, in post #3.

It is possible, with solar concentration, that one could start a fire and also heat the water directly from above. This would raise the temperature *very* fast!

trishlene mentions that it must be "under the sun", which I interpret to mean "solar powered". If that is what trishlene means, then I think that solar concentration is the way to go. Hence, I referenced a *very* detailed thread regarding this, in post #3.

You're no doubt right and I agree. Either a mirror or lens would be the way to go - whichever is readily available. I also would agree the charcoal via solar parabolic thread (which I found fascinating) would be a good resource.

Good luck trishelen

~modest