Science Forums

FORENSIC SCIENCE and subjects

By the way i was asking for pros and cons for both the job and government.

The pros and cons for the forensic science job are really subjective. You'll have to look at what's involved and decide what the pros and cons are for you.

Working for the government is supposed to give you more job security, but I don't really know if that's true. I don't really know what the pros and cons are with regards to a government job. I can't seem to find any info on that, but if you know people who work for the government (maybe friends of your parents) ask them what it's like.

So if i , during my bachelors degree choose to major in chemistry as the electives. What would this open me up to in the future?

I know someone who did a forensic science degree with a major in chemistry and he now works for a pharmaceutical company as an analytical chemist. So you could work in a research laboratory, you could work for a food company, a university; basically you can work in any lab that requires a chemist. It will certainly increase your options, but also look at what other electives you can choose to see what other opportunities could be available. (You get to choose other electives in addition to the forensic chemistry major.)

Thinking more about forensic science .--> Bachelor of forensic science at deakin maybe would not alow me to be more open to other jobs in the future . can i please have some help from you , to look at the job guide or anything you may like, and list which of the degrees would open me up to other job opportunities including forensic science. and please list the jobs i will be more open to.

JOB GUIDE:

Forensic Scientist (VIC) | Job Guide

i personally think that the psychology one would open me up to something in the future if however i dont get employed by forensics. but i really dont know. because i really want to open my self up to more jobs in the future rather than 1 degree for 1 job - leaving me with no choice but to wait or go for another deggree if i dont get employed.

thank you.

PS. the psychology degree stated in the job guide above does not exist???

All of the courses will provide you with skills to work in areas besides forensic science. It all depends on what you're interested in and what other job you could handle doing.

However, if your first preference is to work in forensic science then do a degree with a forensic science focus so that you're more qualified to do that job.

I've written this before: you'll open up more options with the electives you choose. Do the forensic science course and choose electives from other areas. Remember I wrote about my friend who did the science course and chose psychology electives. Another friend did a behavioural science degree and chose creative writing electives because she loved literature and wanted the option to be a writer. Have a look at all the subjects Deakin offers and see what interests you.

The psychology degree does exist:

RMIT - Psychology – Bachelor of Applied Science

One very important questino and it has to be 110% correct :turtle:

DOES forensic science (im talking about university studies AND everything im going to do as a forensic scinetist in the future). DOes it ever contain cutting up and investigating dead bodies with detail.

Im pretty sure thats a branch of pathology or a branch of forensic science called forensic pathology ....

Also can you find me soem where i can work when i become a forensic scientist

meaning where are some peopl that will employ me in VIC.

Very importantly is computer forensics a branch or an actual degree.

I've read that if hav a post grad degree in computer forensics ill get employed at a higher rate but there is no bachelors degree in computer forensics MAKING the post graduate the degree the minimual qualification. Meaning the pay is the minimum pay unless i complete masters.

is it 100% that i will get into the post grad if i complete bachelor of forensic science at deakin?

Also Companys that will employ computer forensics that is not Government related in VIC

One very important questino and it has to be 110% correct :evil:

DOES forensic science (im talking about university studies AND everything im going to do as a forensic scinetist in the future). DOes it ever contain cutting up and investigating dead bodies with detail.

Im pretty sure thats a branch of pathology or a branch of forensic science called forensic pathology ....

Cutting up the dead bodies is just for a forensic pathologist and you have to be a medical doctor to do that.

Also can you find me soem where i can work when i become a forensic scientist

meaning where are some peopl that will employ me in VIC.

You're getting way too ahead of yourself. There's really no point in finding a place of employment at this time because you're not going to be looking for a job for about 7 years. In that time existing places might close and others might open. I think you should leave this until you're at uni and a little closer to employment. Also, I think it's something you need to do yourself. Take a look at the jobs advertised in the paper and online.

Very importantly is computer forensics a branch or an actual degree.

I've read that if hav a post grad degree in computer forensics ill get employed at a higher rate but there is no bachelors degree in computer forensics MAKING the post graduate the degree the minimual qualification. Meaning the pay is the minimum pay unless i complete masters.

Computer forensics is a specialty - you'll have a forensic science degree with a specialty in computer forensics. If you complete the masters you'll get paid more than if you just complete the grad cert.

is it 100% that i will get into the post grad if i complete bachelor of forensic science at deakin?

If you pass your subjects and graduate from Deakin then you'll probably have a good chance of getting in to the grad cert. Nothing's 100%. If they have too many people applying for the grad cert then maybe they'll accept the people with better undergraduate grades. So you're better off doing as well as you can at Deakin. Aim for at least a credit because that's what you'll need to get in to honours. Now this is important: the better your grade the more information you know and the better a forensic scientist you'll be. If you just get a pass for your subject then you really only know half the work. If you get a distinction then you know at least 85% of the work. So when you're out there employed as a forensic scientist you'll have more to offer your employer and you'll be given more responsibilities and you'll be considered more for promotions.

monomer,you have experienced VCE -how do u find it?

wat was your enter score??

Did you start a vce subject in year 10 and finish it inyear 11 making year 12 easier for you?

And ive been hearing myths about how if you don't complete a vce subject in year 11 it is impossible to get an enter score of 90 +

I chose to do these subjects

ENG

JAP

BIology

physics

chemistry

methods

_____

are these too stressful for yeer 11 and 12.

Would it be impossible for all six in yeear 12 becuase of the difficulties?

if i cope well with these would it give me a good enter score?

__

monomer,you have experienced VCE -how do u find it?

wat was your enter score??

Did you start a vce subject in year 10 and finish it inyear 11 making year 12 easier for you?

I finished school the year before they brought in SACE which I think is just like VCE. It was just known as the high school certificate and it was a completely different setup. In year 12 I had to do 5 subjects and since I wanted to do Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics and English I had to do them in year 11. In year 10 maths, science and english were compulsory.

I don't remember what my score was to get in to uni. I know I got about 87% for my subjects.

And ive been hearing myths about how if you don't complete a vce subject in year 11 it is impossible to get an enter score of 90 +

I'm not the best person to ask about VCE beacuse I've not gone through it and I don't understand how it works, so ask your teachers because they should know all the facts about it. Although, I'd say that if you don't complete a subject then you won't get a decent score.

I chose to do these subjects

ENG

JAP

BIology

physics

chemistry

methods

are these too stressful for yeer 11 and 12.

Would it be impossible for all six in yeear 12 becuase of the difficulties?

if i cope well with these would it give me a good enter score?

I found the 5 subjects I did in year 12 to be stressful. Doing all 6 in year 12 is not impossible, but it would be very demanding. Are you wanting to do all six in both year 11 and 12? Do you have to do six or can you do five subjects?

OR maybshoudl i pik up a yeer 12 subject nex yeer without doing the year 11 . eg. biology.

Can you do that? Biology is pretty easy, and I remember that year 12 biology was really a repeat of year 11. So it would be okay if you think you could cope with the subject.

• 2 weeks later...
monomer when you complete a computer science degree- what job can you become? because computer scientist isnt in the job guide.

Computer science graduates can work as programmers, web developers, software developers, game programmers, consultants, the list goes on.

Check out the courses RMIT offers and you'll see what paths you can take:

RMIT - Bachelor Degrees offered by the School of Computer Science and IT

Also, take a look at what graduates do:

RMIT - Meet our graduates

Here's some more info:

Computer science - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• 9 months later...

i am doing a paper on forensic scientist.. and i was wondering if someone could answer some of my questions.......

What chemicals are involved in being a forensic scientist?

What reactions take place?

Where do they work?

What do they do all day?

if anyone could answer these questions it would be greatly appreciated :]

thankkk youuu!

Well meg, and interview with an forensic pathologist would rock. Get a tour, check out really cool equipment, surprized you are not opting for that. Well, then, would like like to discuss pathology?

is a field in which the principles of medicine and pathology are applied to determine a cause of death or injury in the context of a legal inquiry.

or do you prefer criminalistics? and yet another really fun place to check out.

is the application of various sciences to answer questions relating to examination and comparison of biological evidence, trace evidence, impression evidence (such as fingerprints, footwear impressions, and tire tracks), controlled substances, ballistics, firearm and toolmark examination, and other evidence in criminal investigations. Typically, evidence is processed in a crime lab.

its your homework chick, you have to decide;) what do you want to learn?