Science Forums

Abiogenesis and the evolution of complex life

sciencegirl07

Freeztar I would like to continue this discussion of evolution and Qm over on evolution of the eye

and the come back to this later if I can relate it to abiogenesis and the evolution of complex life. I found that these principles can better be appreciated by working from the complex back to the simple, and frankly I would not no how to start from abiogenesis and how it relates in a forward progression. Are you still in ?

Yea, here's another link .... Quantum Biology

Wow!!! Major cool beans!!! :D

I followed your link to yet another: Computational BioPhysics Movies -- a gallery of exceptional animations derived entirely by computation (rather than by artistic representation).

My favorites were:

View of ribosome

Alpha-hemolysin

Translocation of DNA (!!!)

Water channels in cell membranes (!!!)

Sugar permeation through LacY

DNA forced through small nanopore

Translocation of a polypeptide helix through SecY

This is TRULY INCREDIBLE AWESOME stuff.

Quantum Biology, here we come! :cup: :phones: ;) :eek: :eek:

Freeztar I would like to continue this discussion of evolution and Qm over on evolution of the eye

and the come back to this later if I can relate it to abiogenesis and the evolution of complex life. I found that these principles can better be appreciated by working from the complex back to the simple, and frankly I would not no how to start from abiogenesis and how it relates in a forward progression. Are you still in ?

Sounds good to me. :)

I've got quite a learning curve ahead of me though. :)

Oh yea, this is the goood stuff ! I can see how it applies to complex morphology.. just cause I have a thing for it, but genetics is a more difficult matter. I can see certain general principles at work in the geometry of the double helix as an oscillating attractor within the opposite orientation of the strands, but to incorporate it into the standard Neo-Darwinian models of randomness would call for a paradigm shift in understanding.

This shift hasn't happened, as of yet, but once these types of models take hold they will, IMHO give us a deeper understanding of evolution and how it relates to self-organizing systems. A shift in terms could help “Randomness” its not as a descriptive as, “oscillating attractor” for example. Oscillations infers a dual orienting structure, whereas “randomness” is without a point of reference to a basic principle of order.

Here is another link, Enjoy :)

There have been many attempts to answer the origin of life question, from life arriving from space, to life originating as clay minerals. None is very convincing. A relative newcomer to the field is complexity theory. This sister science of chaos theory, examines how complex interconnected systems generate relatively simple patterns of behaviour. The complexity guru, Stuart Kauffman, has proposed that life arose by ‘order from chaos’. But there is a fundamental difference between chaotic dynamics and life. The order we see in phenomena like anticyclones or the red spot of Jupiter is a kind of average order, only visible at the macroscopic level. At the microscopic level of individual particles, there is only chaotic motion. But life is different. A living cell is ordered right down to the level of that single molecule of DNA that orchestrates its every action. Life is not a product of chaos.

Living organisms are the only observable natural phenomena controlled by single particles dynamics. Your eye colour, shape of your nose, even perhaps aspects of your personality, has been determined by the motion of fundamental particles within the double helix that you inherited from your parents. This dependence on the dynamics of single particles brings life firmly under the sway of quantum mechanics

Quantum Evolution: Outline page5

Oh yea, this is the goood stuff ... A shift in terms could help “Randomness” its not as a descriptive as, “oscillating attractor” for example. Oscillations infers a dual orienting structure, whereas “randomness” is without a point of reference to a basic principle of order.
I have to ask, just what role do you think Neo-Darwinism gives to "randomness"?

• 4 months later...

I just developed a theory of how matter complexifies into life using basic natural selection. I have been trying to get some peer review for it, and I think I posted it after introducing myself, and also put it on my blog. But I'm new to all this, and I'm not sure where those things appear.