Science Forums

Transportation revolution is here

var

I doubt anyone will argue that transportation systems in todays world are inadequate. But what is wrong with them? More importantly, can a system be created which is free of shortcomings of the existing systems? And what will it look like?

To answer these questions it is important to understand few simple points. Unfortunately simple points are often the most difficult to comprehend. I believe that this forum's participants have high enough intellectual level to comprehend what will be said below.

1. From the point of view of physics the useful transportation work in the Earth’s field of gravitation is always equal to zero. This is due to the fact that if freight is taken in point A, say, in Washington and delivered to point B, for example, New York its energy condition is not changed: in point B it has the same altitude and the same zero ground speed.

2. As far as energy is consumed, from the point of view of mechanics, the efficiency coefficient of any real ground transportation system will always be equal to zero because division of zero by any number results in zero.

3. Any ground transportation vehicle consumes energy not to do useful transportation work but rather to overcome environmental resistance.

4. Therefore, it would be feasible to focus the works for transportation improvement on reducing movement resistance and first of all high-speed movement (more than 200 km/hour as many types of resistance increase in proportion to the square and cubic travel speeds) than on increasing engine power, growing freight and passenger carrying capacity and increasing speeds as it is done today.

5. Two types of resistance responsible for the most of energy consumption are: aerodynamic resistance and rolling resistance of the wheels.

Cars are very inefficient transport, rolling resistance of rubber wheel is very high and cannot be reduced as it is the only thing that keeps a car on the road. Therefore the optimal transportation vehicle must have steel wheel running on steel track. However train is not optimal vehicle due to the following reasons. Firstly, its aerodynamics are very poor and cannot be improved due to screening effect (interface between the vehicle and ground), secondly its track structure is very expensive not only to build, but to provide corridors (ROWs), thirdly train's mass per passenger is excessive.

Taking into account all this, we can deduce what the optimal transportation system must look like. It must use steel wheel on steel rail, it must be highly aerodynamic, its track structure must be raised on supports in order to eliminate screening effect and minimize land disturbance, most importantly, it must be cheap enough to build so it can be commercially viable. Last point is of great importance. It was commercial viability of railroads that allowed to create huge networks in 19th century. Therefore all the current transportation technologies have no future as they always assume OPM (other people's money) model of financing. Be it highways for car transport, subway, light rail or especially magnetic levitation trains.

Such a transportation system has already been invented, this is what a high speed 300 km/h transportation module looks like.

This is the most aerodynamic vehicle in the world, Cx = 0.075 compare it to a Porshe Cx = 0.26! Specific geometry of wheel-track interface give rolling resistance twice better than a train, the vehicles mass is 180 kg per passenger. All this combined give fuel economy at 300 km/h of 1.7 kg per 100 passengerxkilometers!

Importantly the track structure is very light 120 kg/meter and cost 10-12 times less than magnetic levitation track.

Vehicles are provided with automated control system that facilitates frequency of 40 seconds.

First off, welcome to Hypography var! :)

That's quite an impressive first post.

Cars are very inefficient transport, rolling resistance of rubber wheel is very high and cannot be reduced as it is the only thing that keeps a car on the road. Therefore the optimal transportation vehicle must have steel wheel running on steel track. However train is not optimal vehicle due to the following reasons. Firstly, its aerodynamics are very poor and cannot be improved due to screening effect (interface between the vehicle and ground), secondly its track structure is very expensive not only to build, but to provide corridors (ROWs), thirdly train's mass per passenger is excessive.

Indeed. As someone who works, mostly, in the transportation field, I would certainly agree with all the statements above.

I would add that highway/road infrastructure is enormously expensive as well, both in production and upkeep. Bridges are a civil engineers "whittle stick".

Such a transportation system has already been invented, this is what a high speed 300 km/h transportation module looks like...

Do you have a link to the description?

Nevermind, I think I found it?

String Transport Unitsky

This is the most aerodynamic vehicle in the world, Cx = 0.075 compare it to a Porshe Cx = 0.26! Specific geometry of wheel-track interface give rolling resistance twice better than a train, the vehicles mass is 180 kg per passenger. All this combined give fuel economy at 300 km/h of 1.7 kg per 100 passengerxkilometers!

I have to ask...What propels this?

Importantly the track structure is very light 120 kg/meter and cost 10-12 times less than magnetic levitation track.

What is it made of?

Vehicles are provided with automated control system that facilitates frequency of 40 seconds.

I don't understand this. What is the ACS and why a 40s frequency?

freeztar

First off, welcome to Hypography var!

That's quite an impressive first post.

Thanks.

Do you have a link to the description?

Nevermind, I think I found it?

String Transport Unitsky

This is inventor's personal website. The corporate website is Alternate Transport System for Passengers or Freight

I have to ask...What propels this?

The vehicle pictured is propelled by a 145 kW diesel engine driving rear wheels via a 6 speed automatic gearbox. The system can of course be electrified, yet the increases in capital costs is significant.

What is it made of?

The track is the most interesting feature of the system. It is a conventional reinforced beam/overpass additionally reinforced with high strength steel wires stretched (pre-stressed) to 100-500 ts depending on length of span, mass of rolling stock and designed speed. It is also equipped with a steel rail head welded as a single unit. Wires are rigidly attached to anchor supports placed every 1-5 kilometers, additional vertical load is supported by supporting masts every 30-50 meters. These wires are named strings by the inventor, hence - string transport. Below is schematic cross section of string rail.

String rail is made of steel and its body is either aluminum composite or steel.

I don't understand this. What is the ACS and why a 40s frequency?

Sorry I should have made it clearer. It means the automated control system controls modules instead of drivers. Modules can arrive to a station every 40 seconds, this enables to achieve high capacity. If even higher capacity is needed modules can be electronically linked in 3-5 module "trains".

• 2 months later...