Science Forums

HHO gas vs perpetual motion

Moontanman

Is the use of HHO gas the same as or similar to perpetual motion? You have to use electricity to make HHO gas to run a motor to both run a car and make electricity to make more HHO gas. Is this chemically possible to do or is it like using a battery to run a generator to charge the battery? I'm putting this in chemistry because I'm not sure what HHO gas is, how it made, or how much energy it can provide through it's chemical reactions.

1) Time is homogeneous.

2) Noether's theorem.

3) Mass-energy is locally conserved.

Anybody who is sufficiently crazy to store a 2:1 v/v mixture of hydrogen and oxygen deserves to die that loud messy death. The ignition threshold is 0.02 millijoules. A fat cosmic ray can set it off.

Some people go cute by snapping a pre-mixed methane or propane gas-oxygen burner by turning off the gas first. Do that with oxyhydrogen and like as not you'll be picking pieces out of your hide after the burner head ruptures. Oxyhydrogen has a tremendous LEL-UEL range, 4-94 v/v-%. It has the highest flame velocity of any gas- dry flame arrestors are not a barrier to propagating ignition.

Here are some of the sites that have been sent to me by friends that want to know if there is anything to this. I say no but some actually claim the US goverment is out fitting humvees with this stuff.

Hydrogen Technology Applications, Inc.

Hydrogen Gas Saver Technology - HHO Gas, Custom Conversion For A Water Powered Car

ArticleSlide.com | Article DetailHHO Gas Powered Car How To Convert Your Car To Burn Water

• 11 months later...

Back to Moontanman's orig q, this does smack of perpetual machine quackery--hollywood did us no favours with "Chain Reaction". We did the water cleaving experiment way back in middle school (the 70s) and as I recall, we were using an electrical source. Can't see as to how you'd get more energy back from combusting the resulting gases than you spent in cleaving it in the first place--after all, the O-H bond energy doesn't pick a number out of a hat each time it's formed or broken....and as I recall, the combustion reaction gives off plenty of heat waste. um. sounds like a dog that won't hunt.