Science Forums

Evolution is Fact

InfiniteNow

It is almost like the religious ID activism keeps this science ID lumped with religious ID so it never gets the same play.

Try to see them differently if you can but keep one thing in mind, design of any kind requires a designer by definition. If such a designer does exist then what designed the designer....ad infinitum....

I strongly disbelieve in evolution. I am a Roman Catholic and I staunchly believe that God is the person behind all this things in the world. Evolution cannot even explain why the organisms we see in microscope move!
"...that God is the person..." ...very anthropomorphically stated. Was that intentional?

Hasn't it been clearly stated that the Catholic Church has no problem with Evolution?

Book TV - Chance or Purpose: Creation, Evolution, and a Rational Faith

Alex García-Rivera, “Endless Forms most Beautiful”

Cardinal Schönborn argues that science and religion are not incompatible and that dogmatism on either side is unsupportable. He spoke at an event hosted by the Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology in Berkeley, California.

In the Beginning is an annotated version of a 4-homily series delivered by Joseph Ratzinger (now the Pope) in Munich (1981). Subtitled A Catholic Understanding of the Story of Creation and the Fall, the book was published in Germany in 1985 and is now available in English translation. This speaks to the Catholic understanding of evolution.

btw, Welcome to the fora; a great place to teach and learn.

:eswirl:

I strongly disbelieve in evolution. I am a Roman Catholic and I staunchly believe that God is the person behind all this things in the world. Evolution cannot even explain why the organisms we see in microscope move!

Well, obviously you have a well rounded science education. :eswirl: I guess everyone has to start somewhere. Actually, through science we have a very clear understanding of how organisms of all different sizes move. If you're at all interested, here's a basic wiki article on microorganisms. It's a good place to start.

You know, if it weren't for science, you wouldn't even be able to look at an organism in a microscope.

What exactly is the Roman Catholic explanation for why microscopic organisms move?

Try to see them differently if you can but keep one thing in mind, design of any kind requires a designer by definition. If such a designer does exist then what designed the designer....ad infinitum....

I understand the point, but the fact is that man has become a designer. In fact man has been a designer for thousands of years. First by using selective breeding to domesticate animals to agricultural purposes and for hunting (look at all the breeds of dogs). And more recently through genetic engineering. There are plants and organisms that exist today only due to the intelligent design of man. Intelligent design does not need to imply divinity; only persistence.

I personally believe that evolution is the most solid of sciences. But like everything there is more and more detail to be learned no matter how much we think we already know. In 100 years who knows what we may be capable of, and what strange things will be roaming the earth that will only exist as a result of mankind's intelligence driven design.

Bill

You know, if it weren't for science, you wouldn't even be able to look at an organism in a microscope.

i think that way of thinking is more and more common these days,

and that makes me wonder if the person that invented the microscope took a science class on how to invent a microscope?

if it wasn't for science :) that's great :)

i think that way of thinking is more and more common these days,

and that makes me wonder if the person that invented the microscope took a science class on how to invent a microscope?

if it wasn't for science :) that's great :)

One thing is for sure goku, he didn't figure out how to build a microscope in bible study class. :naughty:To invent something takes real intelligence and creativity, two things you lack completely. Like most religious people you would rather be told what to think, how to think, and never to question either one on your own. To invent something really new means you have to take ideas from widely separated areas of knowledge and bring them together in a unique way. Often you have to resist the thinking of the everyone else. If not for science and the people who use it to invent you would still be sitting naked in a cave wondering where your next meal is coming from.

no it ant!

if you tell a lie loud enough and long enough the people will believe it

-hitler

That sounds like what the creationists are trying to do. They lie goku, they lie to influence the weak mined into giving them money so they can lie to other people to get more money to do the same over and over again. Their only product is lies and the money they get for lies. When was the last time religion produced anything but Talk and more talk, nothing but hot air to empty the pockets of the faithful.

That sounds like what the creationists are trying to do. They lie goku, they lie to influence the weak mined into giving them money so they can lie to other people to get more money to do the same over and over again. Their only product is lies and the money they get for lies. When was the last time religion produced anything but Talk and more talk, nothing but hot air to empty the pockets of the faithful.

i agree, there are many lies out there. false prophets, so called churches and it's only going to get worse.

i think most people here can spot a fake, i hope and trust that God will show you the truth.

as a note, evelotion by definition shouldn't explain why things move, nor how they move, those are other diciplihnes of science.

in a nutshell, evolution is all about culling the weak so the strong become stronger.

I think this thread is a standout example of how ineffective a debate can be if its proposition (In this thread, “Evolution is fact”, or “Evolution is true”) lacks a definition agreed upon by all parties. This observation is not intended as a criticism of the thread or any of its contributors, but as an opportunity to contribute something of value to it.

Unqualified, the term “evolution” is usually considered by scientists to mean “biological evolution”, and defined

In biology, evolution is the process of change in the inherited traits of a population of organisms from one generation to the next.

-
[1]

It is commonly used more broadly to refer to orderly, predictable (or at least postdictable) change in any system, eg: “stellar evolution” to refer to changes over time in stars or “the evolution of computer technology” to refer to changes in computer hardware, software, marketing and use. [2]

When used among creationists, “evolution” is usually considered to refer to a much larger collection of assertions. The following, by creationist “ Kent Hovind is, I think, reasonably representative:

When I use the word evolution, I am not referring to the minor variations found in all of the various life forms (microevolution). I am referring to the general theory of evolution which believes these five major events took place without God:
  1. Time, space, and matter came into existence by themselves.

2. Planets and stars formed from space dust.

3. Matter created life by itself.

4. Early life-forms learned to reproduce themselves.

5. Major changes occurred between these diverse life forms (i.e., fish changed to amphibians, amphibians changed to reptiles, and reptiles changed to birds or mammals).

-
[3]

I suspect that disagreement such as that shown by these two posts is due to the use of different, incompatible definitions of “evolution”:

As much as that thing below your fingertips is a keyboard or mouse, evolution is fact.
no it ant! [ain’t]

InfiniteNow’s post appears to be referring to definition [1], while goku’s, I think, refers to [3].

If more explicit definitions of the terms of this thread’s debate were used, I think there would be less outright disagreement.

The argument is not evolution, per se, but how things evolved. The existing scenario doesn't sit quite right with a wide range of people. ...The bottom line is all statistical based theory is not fully rational, but is an approximation for reason, when one is not able to provide reason. This means there is still some room to be rational. ...This starts to look like a form of religion. ....
The existing scenario doesn't sit quite right with a very narrow and uninformed range of people. In academia, where this subject is taught, scrutinized, criticized and discussed (by informed people), evolution is accepted as fact.

Statisitical based theory is as rational as any other. You are Waaaayyyyy out in left field on this one. Thermodynamics is based upon statistical analysis of large populations of identical "atoms" in an enclosed volume. ALL the laws of thermo, and all the "properties", such as temperature, entropy, conductance, etc, are ALL derived from statistics. Even the existence of the atom itself, was derived from a statistical proof.

You use "looks like a religion" as a vulgar and obscene insult.

A very petty action coming from someone who purports to praise the "rational".

...i think most people here can spot a fake, i hope and trust that God will show you the truth.
People must be educated if they are to spot most fakes.

Good luck with your trust in God, but if he hasn't shown YOU the truth, why are you so confident he'll show US? :turtle:

as a note, evelotion by definition shouldn't explain why things move, nor how they move, those are other diciplihnes of science.

in a nutshell, evolution is all about culling the weak so the strong become stronger.

"stronger" is not really the best term to use any longer. The dino's were strong, had big teeth and were tough, but the lowly flower and the insect changed the face of the planet though cooperative relationships, laying the foundation for creatures that could fill in symbiotic linkages. Today in economics it is this strategy that wins out over any other in a complex system. Hitler failed in his bid use the paradigm of survival of the fittest. Cooperative relationships won that war. Bush assumed he could have his way in Iraq simply by using force before building a cooperative network. Its an outdated paradigm in biology, economics, and in politics, Bush should have read Sun Sue's The Art Of War he would of understood the nature of "strength" is adaptability, information, and cooperation.

When used among creationists, “evolution” is usually considered to refer to a much larger collection of assertions. The following, by creationist “ Kent Hovind is, I think, reasonably representative:

When I use the word evolution, I am not referring to the minor variations found in all of the various life forms (microevolution). I am referring to the general theory of evolution which believes these five major events took place without God:
  1. Time, space, and matter came into existence by themselves.

2. Planets and stars formed from space dust.

3. Matter created life by itself.

4. Early life-forms learned to reproduce themselves.

5. Major changes occurred between these diverse life forms (i.e., fish changed to amphibians, amphibians changed to reptiles, and reptiles changed to birds or mammals).

-
[3]

You raise an interesting point, Craig, but no matter how you slice this they are still wrong.

They rely on so many logical fallacies and non-sequiturs that it's nauseating. However, when we demonstrate that the approach they use is based on faulty logic it tends to fall on deaf ears and blind eyes, and I'm led to believe that these sheeple are incapable of understanding what a logical fallacy is.

If they grasped the basics of these issues, then they would never believe the ridiculous arguments being made in the first place.

Watch the below. I don't know about you, but that's enough to convince me that god did it. :circle:

YouTube - The Origin of the Solar System http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pkz_x4YNr8

It is staggering the amount of misinformation, distortions, presuppositions, fallacies, and outright lies that are contained in that video, INow. :doh:

What's also staggering is the blatent immorality displayed by it's producers in the form of willful deceit, as they purposefully distort information relating to the sciences of evolution, cosmology, and astrophysics in order to manipulate the minds and the beliefs of the viewers, all while supposedly in the defense of a just and noble god.

The utter hypocrisy is undeniable. :)

This effort to "dumb down" the American public will only serve to set us further behind among other industrialized nations in science education and advancement, making it more difficult for us to compete on a global level.

This is no noble endeavor. :(