Science Forums

Biology glucose titration problems : (

hey guys im new to this forum and i was hoping some nice person wud help me out,

ive been doing a piece of A-level coursework in which i have mashed up bananas to test for sugar levels as they ripen over a period of time. i conducted a titration using quantative benedict's. i have all my results and they show good correlation but all the values are in ml of sugar solution titrated. i need to have the number of moles of glucose present in each solution and im unsure how to convert the values. i took a value for a 1% glucose solution as a control. can someone please tell me the calculations i will need to use to turn the ml into moles of glucose.

i hope that makes sense hah. (apoligies for some shocking grammar but im in a hurry)

many thanks x:)

Hey albumbase123, welcome to the forum (I'm kinda new myself). I'm an A level student as well. Okay, so you have the value of glucose solution being titrated in ml and you want it in moles, but do you know the concentration of the glucose solution? If you do have the concentration, then simply use the formula: n=c/v

where n is # of moles

c is concentration in mol/dm-3

and v is the volume in dm-3

Otherwise, if you don't know the concentration of the glucose solution, then you can find the number of moles of glucose by using the chemical equation of the rxn of Benedict's with glucose ( i.e.use mole ratio). I'm not sure what the equation is, but I'm sure you'll find it if you google it or something. But anyway, using this method, you can find the number of moles of Benedict's being used using the same formula given above, and in this case v will be your titre (assuming you know the conc. of Benedict's - it would probably say that on the bottle), and then use mole ratio to find the number of moles of glucose.