Science Forums

Chemistry is Cool!!

InfiniteNow

Hmm, magic, right there in front of your eyes, it is definately cool.

Levitation, demon voices - "I am your father Luke" :) And that's just the sulfur hexaflouride

You could embellish a few of these with some theatrics and be a legend at childrens parties :hihi:

But you know what they say in show business. "Don't work with thermite and children."

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw the videos - they were great!!

The one that got the biggest reaction out of me was Sodium and Water in Chlorine Gas, but I also liked the Meissner Effect and Sodium Acetate Super Saturation. And Superabsorbent Polymer and Floating on Sulfur Hexafluoride... :eek_big:

Very cool!

I think we all agree that the Sulfur Hexafluoride one was absolutely cool amongst all cool things....

Let's do some chemistry with it. The average molecular weight of air is 29. SF6 comes in at 146.60 or 5.10 times as dense as air . (A molar volume is a molar volume, 22.4 liters at STP.) Can we do better? Sure! Make something volatile by perfluorination and symmetry (removal of dipole moment). IF7. bp = 4.77 C, colorless gas. MW = 259.89 or 8.96 times as dense as air. It's smelly, reactive, and toxic. Can we do better? Sure!

US Patent 3992424. Take your perhalogenated whatsis-X, microwave plasma with F3C-CF3, swap partners to get whatsis-CF3 and CF3X. I(CF3)7 is perfectly reasonable and most likely gaseous at room temp or slightly above. MW = 609.95 or 21.03 times as dense as air. A two-liter bottle of air contains 2.6 grams of air (piffle) or 54.5 grams of I(CF3)7 - and that's perceptably heavy. U(CF3)6 is "a very volatile solid," MW = 652.

My favorite chemical affect was performed by my freshman chemistry professor. It was called the beating heart experiment. A blob of mercury is placed in a dichromate solution with a little sulfuric acid. The mercury is touched with a nail. The mercury started to beat like a heart. It can do some morphing between shapes.

Here is video link that explains it. YouTube - Pulsating Electrochemical Reaction: Mercury Beating Heart http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hxt6hd-wV0

It was called the beating heart experiment. A blob of mercury is placed in a dichromate solution with a little sulfuric acid. The mercury is touched with a nail. The mercury started to beat like a heart. It can do some morphing between shapes.

Here is video link that explains it.

HydrogenBond,

Out of your almost 1800 posts here, this one has got to be your most coherent and cool. Thanks for the neat video. Perhaps I would enjoy your posts more if you used fewer words and more videos! :lol:

Take it easy, you conceptual cowboy. :turtle:

Hmm, magic, right there in front of your eyes, it is definately cool.

Levitation, demon voices - "I am your father Luke" :lol: And that's just the sulfur hexaflouride

You could embellish a few of these with some theatrics and be a legend at childrens parties :turtle:

But you know what they say in show business. "Don't work with thermite and children."

You're exactly right, according to wiki it is used in magic shows, and is sometimes referred to as being "invisible water".

Sulfur hexafluoride - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think we all agree that the Sulfur Hexafluoride one was absolutely cool amongst all cool things...great selection of videos by the way.

Yes, this. I thought I was sold when I got to the Meissner Effect, but the Sulfur Hexafluoride one was definitely the most visually impressive.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...