Science Forums

Terra Preta Group and Blog?

Tormod

So :) do we know if pine char is lowering CEC in the soil? Could it be that low temp charring that retains the oils of pine cause that?

It seems that pure char burned at high temps would be just a lot of carbon, regardless of what it was made from. This gets more confusing all the time.

IIRC, char has a CEC of 10-30 meq/100gm, and humus has a CEC of 100-300 meq/100gm. Char in and of itself would increase CEC of a low CEC soil (sandy soil, highly weathered tropical soil, high rainfall coniferous forest soil) and decrease it in a high 2:1 clay soil (Texas gumbo soil) or high humus content soil (prairie mollisols). The surface of char attracts and detains high CEC humus compounds. It also weathers a bit and secondary organic compounds formed from char will also have a much higher CEC than the source char. Thus, adding to char will promote higher CEC than in non-char amended soil and far in excess of the CEC it can contribute directly. The time needed for the CEC increase to be measurable is a function of the intensity of the weathering. Long time where cold/dry, short where moist/warm. The devil is in the details.

Has anyone ever heard of this??

Posted: May 6, 2008

Post Expires: November 2, 2008

White Coal Source/Info for Power Plant?

We are working on a project to build a power plant in Massachusetts and looking for a local source of white coal as the source to create the power. In addition, we are looking for more information of the use of this product. Our focus is to provide power to local communities and beyond if program is successful. Plant will have the ability to burn coal; however white coal is reportedly cleaner, so we would prefer to go that route for a variety of reasons. Partner is prominent building contractor in the Northeast.

It's called 'white coal' - it may be a byproduct combined with agricultural waste or a cleaner coal product. This may be an accurate definition of it, "White coal is a form of fuel produced by drying chopped wood over a fire. It differs from charcoal which is carbonised wood. White coal was used in England to smelt lead ore from the mid-sixteenth to the late seventeenth centuries. It produces more heat than green wood but less than charcoal and thus prevents the lead evaporating. White coal was produced in distinctive circular pits with a channel, known as Q-pits. They are frequently found in the woods of South Yorkshire."

Contact Information:

Brett Robbins

(619) 269-3602

[email protected]mail address (requires JavaScript)

steadfastreos.com

Find Partners, Investors for Your Green, Cleantech Business

--

This is very topical.

I am being sent emails telling me all TP is "wrong"

Limitations Of Charcoal As An Effective Carbon Sink

Sigh, if people only understood the scientific process.

Monday bummer blogging | Gristmill: The environmental news blog | Grist

An interesting discussion of the Swedish paper I just posted in "research".

Read that first before going to this blog or the Science article above- both seem to have based their reports on the press release.

From Christoph Steiner to the terrapreta List:

" The study of Wardle et al was simple and provides valuable data. 10 year

studies are a rare opportunity but other conventional means of C

sequestration (conservation tillage etc) were studied much longer. That

charcoal increases the decomposition of labile soil organic matter (SOM)

is a logical consequence of increased microbial biomass and activity.

This is the example of humus rich Swedish forest soils. The Terra Preta

example is different (low respiration rates in absence of an easily

degradable organic substance). Chernozems are a other example. Charcoal

can led to the formation of very persistent SOM and this in environments

and soils with low carbon sequestration capacity. Nobody proposed to

apply charcoal as a C sink in humus rich soils. It can be a mean of

carbon sequestration in depleted soils (e.g. southeastern US). Due to

agriculture most soils have lost 50% of there original carbon content.

The recalcitrance of charcoal allows SOM build up beyond the carrying

capacity of a soil.

In some cases increased decomposition might be even desired. Composting

of manures and other green biomass would be increased and emissions of

CH4 and N2O reduced. Organically applied nutrients might be faster

available for plants if applied with charcoal and leaching of nitrogen

reduced.

This study proves once again the recalcitrant nature of charcoal and

shows that we have to do much more research in the field to determine

appropriate applications for charcoal as a C sink. I am confident that

there are many management options."

Here is another TP researcher's view of the article.

Edward Someus to Terrapreta List

show details 11:47 PM (6 hours ago) [Charcoal LOSS.pdf]

Dear Folke,

Pls find encl the publication text PDF. Need to be studied more in-depthly and discussed later on. The department of forest ecology and management, SLU (Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences) Umea Professor David Wardle, Professor Marie-Charlotte Nilsson and Professor Olle Zackrisson are high science Colleagues, and such rarely 10 long years executed study is of value and should be taken very seriously.

The 10 year study - in relation to the evaluation of forest wild fires - is executed in the Boreal forest sites in northern Sweden humus rich forest soils with high "dosis" 50/50 mixtures and 100% blank. The conditions and the scenario for wild fire boreal forest is very much different than for AGRO TP, which agricultural adaptation may also widely variate at different places and cultivation practices world wide.

The industrialized production soil-char composite products I develop is a microbiologically pre-mobilized organic/inorganic complex fertilizers with combined effects, with successful dosis 400 kg/ha up to 1000 kg/ha in granulated form with consideration 20 cm top soil. At this moment we have wide soil and climatic tests ongoing in Italy, The Netherlands, Germany, Israel, UK and Hungary.

I have distributed the publication to my Colleagues at different soil science groups at UK, NL, DE, IT Universities and for experience / knowledge exchange I will make follow up and direct discussion with the SLU Professors as well.

However, KEVIN may have right: "Reading between the lines of the article, one could guess at the general content of the Paper, but the article was presented in a shallow, sensationalist manner that would likely leave with the uninitiated reader with the impression that charcoal in soil was "a bad thing." "

KEEP IN TOUCH.

Sincerely yours: Edward Someus (environmental engineer)

HOMEPAGE: http://www.terrenum.net

EMAIL 1: edward at terrenum.net

EMAIL 2: edward.someus at gmail.com

Cheers,

Erich J. Knight

540 289 9750

Thanks Erich,

It's nice to see I wasn't mistaken in NOT seeing a conflict in those Swedish results.

http://hypography.com/forums/terra-preta/14556-research.html#post218141

Forests are already high carbon soils and should not be expected to store additional CO2.

Marginal soils; sandy, acidic, leached, and/or parched, are the soils where adding char will sequester CO2 (at least fourfold, IMO) over the original carbon content of the char; while providing new agricultural and recycling opportunities for the populations in those marginal (poverty prone) areas.

AgriChar can and should be managed, as should all powerful tools, to minimize pollution and resource loss, while also maximizing sequestration, resource enhancement, and support for populations.

Terra Preta is an example of using char in a unique jungle environment; but TP (or any Char supplementation) can be adapted to sequester carbon in many other soil types and environments, given enough water.

So, we are saying the same thing here, aren't we?

Char is good for bad soil....

:rolleyes:

p.s. See also "Social Group Blog" for tangential thoughts. Social Group Blog - Terra Preta

• 4 weeks later...

And another

Biochar Discussion Group

The biochar discussion group is newly formed as of January 2008 to help promote the sharing of information about biochar. Please spread the word so the group becomes active!

If you have a Gmail account, subscribe to the group by logging into your account and going to Biochar | Google Groups. Click the "Join this group" link on the right-hand side of the page under "About this group."

If you don't have a Gmail account, subscribe to the group by sending an email to [email protected]. You will receive a confirmation email in a few moments. Follow the instructions to confirm your subscription.

Subscribers can post a message to the group by sending an email to [email protected]. If you have a Gmail account, you can also post messages via the web at Biochar | Google Groups.

Biochar Discussion Group

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Regional Groups Updates

At this time, IBI is aware of 24 regional biochar initiatives operating around the world and highlights three more recent groups this month from India, China, and the North Sea Region (EU).

The Biochar Society of India

The Biochar Society of India had its first meeting November 1, 2009 in Pune, Maharashtra with eight founding members present in addition to eight other new members. The Society is working on a website (to be released soon) and its mission is to highlight and support biochar projects and organizations in India. For more on this group, please see:

Biochar Society of India | International Biochar Initiative.

China Agricultural University (CAU)-Biochar

A new group in China, CAU-Biochar recently hosted a Joint International Workshop between China and United Kingdom on the Influence of Biochar on Soil Processes and Fertility in Beijing on 18 -21 October, 2009. For more information on CAU-Biochar, or to contact the group, please see: China Agricultural University (CAU) Biochar | International Biochar Initiative.

The North Sea Regional Biochar Group

The EU INTERREG IVb North Sea Region Steering Group has decided to support biochar through the climate saving soils project initiative. This new regional group has thirteen partners from seven different countries around the North Sea all working together to support biochar. The project officially started on 1-10-2009 and continues until 30-9-2013. For more information see: North Sea Region Biochar | International Biochar Initiative.

• 2 months later...
I am making plans to use my terra preta mix when I set up my 125 gallion aquarium. I won't have to use much for an aquarium, a layer about 1" thick at most and cover it with at least 4" of black sand. the wall of the tank are to be covered by coconut fibers to facilitate the growth of moss and ferns up the walls of the aquarium. I will also have a couple of water tupelos and bald cypress growing in it. It should be very interesting. when I start i'll try to keep a record of my progress to post here if anyone is interested.

I'd be very curious to learn more about your biochar/aquarium project...sounds fascinating!!

I'd be very curious to learn more about your biochar/aquarium project...sounds fascinating!!

Sadly the 25 year old tank started leaking when I moved and is unrepairable, so until I replace it no Terra Preta tank. I have set it up with soil and sand before just not a heavily charcoaled substrate.

If you have any questions about setting up a natural type aquarium let me know and I'll be glad to answer them.

Thanks for your quick reply :steering: My current tank is doing odd things with generation after generation of fish dying...I think it's temperature-related though (but it's not easy to get the temp down to 28 degrees Celcius in Bangkok when the ambient temp hovers around at a perpetual 32-34 degrees!

My next plan though, once we move to a new house, is to set up a natural tank that replicates our rice paddies...the smaller species of fish and whatnot in there should be hardier than the weak strains that the fish shops seem to stock. Here's hoping!

The idea would still be to lay down a foundation of biochar, covered by a sand-gravel mix, and planted with all sorts of wild plants I can yank out of our paddies. I can only hope this experiment survives...otherwise I may have to consider a terrarium... :lol:

• 1 year later...

I am building a blog thanks to ETG. Breaking news will continue at the Yahoo lists ( http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/biochar/?yguid=122501696 ) and I will be incorporating the most important news & ideas to the

Blog of the Black Knight of Biochar; http://soilbiochar.com/blog/

It's an honor to introduce EcoTechnologies Group new website, http://www.ecotechnologies.com/index.html

and product: Soil Reef http://www.soilbiochar.com/ .

ETG has supported collaborations with associated companies, academia and NGOs to establish standards for sustainable production and testing. Their sponsorship and help organizing the first two US Biochar conferences at The University of Colorado & Iowa State University, hosting luminary speakers and facilitating broad after hours discussions among eminent researchers is telling of the leadership to move Biochar from the Greenhouse laboratories to open field trials, and now, to your homes.

The largesse and diligence they have practiced has born fruit, "Soil Reef" , an apt name conveying the persistent structural character of this soil amendment, a refuge for the full array of vastly diverse Soil Life.

My research lead to ETG in 2007. Their gracious support allowed my pursuit to network all the governmental, academic and commercial efforts throughout the world. Beyond that, their funding and dogged persistence instigated research programs at both The Rodale Institute in Emmaus, PA and with James Madison University on my farm in Virgina. Now they have asked me to host this Biochar Blog, bestowing on me the name, "The Black Knight of Biochar".

Since 2005 Google has been alerting me on all aspects of chars. I am a Horticulturist by trade and have made it my avocation to dissect and disseminate this information to all who have an iron in this Non-Combustion fire.

I savor this opportunity to share with you my perspectives on the world wide research & practices, new exciting applications of chars, national policy & programs, grass roots & regional organizations and private efforts to advance Biochar soil technologies. Since we have filled the air, filling the seas to full, soil is the only beneficial place left,

carbon to the soil, the only ubiquitous and economic place to put it.

Thanks for your interest and efforts.

Erich - The Black Knight

Soil Reef Blog

http://soilbiochar.com/blog/

Hi all,

I LOVE Biochar. But here's the thing. I also love plasma burners. Now there's enough rubbish to plasma burn and enough biomass to biochar, but they can compete. And at this stage, plasma burners seem to be becoming economical before biochar?

(See point 11 on the economics here)

http://eclipsenow.wordpress.com/recycle/

So my concern is that unless we can get biochar costs down, are we going to lose all that city biomass into the petrochemical industry as syngas instead of biochar going into the soil?

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I LOVE Biochar. But here's the thing. I also love plasma burners. Now there's enough rubbish to plasma burn and enough biomass to biochar, but they can compete. And at this stage, plasma burners seem to be becoming economical before biochar?

(See point 11 on the economics here)

http://eclipsenow.wordpress.com/recycle/

So my concern is that unless we can get biochar costs down, are we going to lose all that city biomass into the petrochemical industry as syngas instead of biochar going into the soil?

Yes, these things are great! Here is a similar concept, which is solar powered.

http://www.technologyreview.com/energy/24712/

Technically I suppose the two technologies do compete, but practically they can complement each other. Biochar production benefits from a more homogeneous feedstock such as agricultural wastes, whereas plasma burning doesn't care about heterogeneity in feedstock.

As soon as carbon credit is allowed for producing the solidified form of humus that we call biochar, then the plasma folks can adjust their processes to allow for the carbon capture (biochar production) during the continuing (though reduced) syngas production.

I'm just happy to see any impetus for biomass management. Those are jobs that can't be outsourced; plus they are very sustainable, and the technology reduces our need for fossil oil.

• 4 months later...