Science Forums

Terra Preta Group and Blog?

Tormod

Now that we have new features in place I recommend creating a social group for Terra Preta, and also that someone start a blog on the topic here at Hypography. It would be interesting to see what that can accomplish. It is also easier to gather pictures etc in one place now with user albums.

I am making plans to use my terra preta mix when I set up my 125 gallion aquarium. I won't have to use much for an aquarium, a layer about 1" thick at most and cover it with at least 4" of black sand. the wall of the tank are to be covered by coconut fibers to facilitate the growth of moss and ferns up the walls of the aquarium. I will also have a couple of water tupelos and bald cypress growing in it. It should be very interesting. when I start i'll try to keep a record of my progress to post here if anyone is interested.

I am making plans to use my terra preta mix when I set up my 125 gallion aquarium.

I've been thinking of adding fishtank "refuse" to soil (TP) (and teas as Ahma...), so....

I read that first sentence 3 or 4 times, uncomprehending, before it finally hit me. :shrug:

Of course!

It's so obvious; again, why didn't I think of that!

This might also be a way to enrich and "innoculate" char before adding to soil.

Thanks MTM

Indeed, you will populate your charcoal with bacteria in a tank. Be aware you will not get m.fungi in the char as they work with terrestrial plants.

Begin looking into newspaper submissions today. Long time since I've been promoting and even longer since I was Editor. Fingers crossed.

If I wanted to build a 1T a day plant in New Zealand. Who would I call?

Indeed, you will populate your charcoal with bacteria in a tank. Be aware you will not get m.fungi in the char as they work with terrestrial plants.

Begin looking into newspaper submissions today. Long time since I've been promoting and even longer since I was Editor. Fingers crossed.

If I wanted to build a 1T a day plant in New Zealand. Who would I call?

Since many plants as well as trees grow with their root systems totally submerged all the time and around here many small trees and bushes grow almost like hydroponics with no soil what so ever with their roots dangleing in the water as the tides rush in and out I wonder if there are fungi or bacteria that do the job of M.fungi under these circumstances?

Definately. Wetlands and tidal estuaries are some of the most intensive eco systems of all.

Well were I live is in the middle of what is called the great green swamp, tidal forces cause the water level to rise and fall a couple of feet at least twice a day. When I set up an aquarium I try to mimic this wet land as closely as possible. The rise and fall is difficult to reproduce but sand over soil bottoms, trees and other emergent plants and under water plants are what I use to create my take on an ideal underwater scene. A great many differnt trees and bushes can be grown with soil less roots dangling in the water. some bloom with some of the most beautiful flowers i have seen. The swamp is a wonderful place full of flowers and and fantastic forms and shapes. Moss, ferns, liverworts, club moss, carnivorous plants abound. great place.

I can help you produce easy tidal tanks and ponds. I've been into Aquaponics for several years and use auto siphons to run ebb and flow systems.

The most basic of these designs is a loop siphon. Here's one

Siphons - Aquaponicswiki.com MediaWiki

The pipe in a pipe is good too, really good for aesthetics. I don't use the u bend at the bottom or the wee piece of hose off the side to assist the siphon to stop, mine stops. The depicted arrangement is different though, my pipe in pipe design has my garden directly above the tanks, The authors garden is to the side.

We could take this subject up elsewhere if you wish just start a thread and notify me where it is.

I can help you produce easy tidal tanks and ponds. I've been into Aquaponics for several years and use auto siphons to run ebb and flow systems.

The most basic of these designs is a loop siphon. Here's one

Siphons - Aquaponicswiki.com MediaWiki

The pipe in a pipe is good too, really good for aesthetics. I don't use the u bend at the bottom or the wee piece of hose off the side to assist the siphon to stop, mine stops. The depicted arrangement is different though, my pipe in pipe design has my garden directly above the tanks, The authors garden is to the side.

We could take this subject up elsewhere if you wish just start a thread and notify me where it is.

I've done that as well but i have to make it compact and prety enough for my wife to alow it in the living room. I feel lucky she is letting me set up my 125 in the living room to start with. I can imatate the effects of tides with out actually having all the extra plumbing to make it happen. It is agood idea though.